So I got a Kindle Fire

I like to read. I have books every where, living room kitchen, rather extensive collection in the bathroom. I like to reread books and sometimes I cant find the book I want to reread. So an ereader is pretty much a no brainer, all my books from here on out in one place.

Now what are the good useful apps for the Fire? Im going to root this thing soon to get the Android Market on it, and maybe eventually just install Ice Cream Sandwich on it. For now I would like to know what are useful apps for a stock unrooted Kindle Fire?

lizzybeth727

Root? Ice cream sandwich? You lost me after "I like to read.".

Lol!
Yes, me too, LOL!

Do you like your Fire? I have the bottom-of-the-line Kindle (I don't care, I love it), but my dad got the Fire for Christmas and had some problems setting it up. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but he and my sister worked on it for HOURS just trying to get it setup so that he could start downloading books.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I set up my grandmother's kindle in about 30 minutes including teaching her how to play angry birds *rofl1* They're pretty neat but not entirely intuitive if you're not super tech savvy.

Blue: Angry birds is a fun addiction!

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I don't have a fire, but I rooted a Nook Tablet. Nobody has managed to unlock the bootloader on this model so i just installed Go Launcher X and Button Savior to simulate a normal version of Android.

What kinds of apparently do you want?

k9krazee

I have a Fire. I much prefer the regular kindle for reading books though, I liked the buttons on the side to move pages and the feature that allows the book to be read to you. I'm adapting though and am starting to like different features that it has.

As far as apps go, I use netflix and pulse probably the most. I'm not really a game player or an app buyer.

Root? Ice cream sandwich? You lost me after "I like to read.".

Lol!
Root for an Android device is like Jailbreak for an iOS (iPad iPhone) device. Root is also linux for SuperUser, SuperAdmin, total control of the device.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the latest version of the Android OS.

Yes, me too, LOL!

Do you like your Fire? I have the bottom-of-the-line Kindle (I don't care, I love it), but my dad got the Fire for Christmas and had some problems setting it up. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but he and my sister worked on it for HOURS just trying to get it setup so that he could start downloading books.
So far I like it, but Im mainly using it as an eReader, Ive only had it 2 days. I am looking for other ways to use it, if it winds up being used 99% of the time as an eReader Im going to give it to my mom and get a Kindle Touch.

I had mine set up in less then 10 minutes of having it home, but I have a few IT certs and work for my ISP.

I set up my grandmother's kindle in about 30 minutes including teaching her how to play angry birds *rofl1* They're pretty neat but not entirely intuitive if you're not super tech savvy.

Blue: Angry birds is a fun addiction!
I had a 11 year old girl hook her Fire to the wireless network in less then a minute, it took me 30 minutes to get her mom to setup the wireless router to the internet and set up the wireless security.

Ive had Angry Birds on my phone for over a year and I only play it on the toilet at work. TMI?

I don't have a fire, but I rooted a Nook Tablet. Nobody has managed to unlock the bootloader on this model so i just installed Go Launcher X and Button Savior to simulate a normal version of Android.

What kinds of apparently do you want?
Im still looking for other uses for this, Im going to root it to get the Android Market on it there are some network tools that arent in the Amazon Market.

I have a Fire. I much prefer the regular kindle for reading books though, I liked the buttons on the side to move pages and the feature that allows the book to be read to you. I'm adapting though and am starting to like different features that it has.

As far as apps go, I use netflix and pulse probably the most. I'm not really a game player or an app buyer.
If this winds up mainly as a eReader Im giving it to my mom and getting the Touch. I got this to tinker with and maybe make it a more useful tool. I need to play with it for more then just a few days to see what the Amazon and Android Markets can offer.

No help really, it I have a rooted nook color. Its pretty awesome. Watching videos rocks.
Could you not watch videos on an unrooted Nook Color? I can watch videos on the Fire either from the drive or using Netflix or through the Amazon Prime service. The Nook has a bigger HD I believe.

ETA: I cant imagine Ill be watching many videos on this fire.

Members online

No members online now.