Who has rabbits?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Who on the forum has rabbits? If you do, please post pictures! Also, What's your daily care routine like? What are their personalities like? Etc.

I really want a rabbit. Of course my #1 choice would be a ferret, but I'm not allowed until I move out, so my 2nd small animal love are rabbits. I'm hoping to get one sometime soon. I asked for one for Christmas, and I kind of thought my dad might let me get one, due to something he said, but then he said "no". HOWEVER he did say that once I get a job, he may let me get one. So...until then, I'll have to live vicariously through you all. :rofl1:

I owned rabbits all my life growing up, but we were pretty uneducated. They were happy and healthy, but I'm sure we didn't do everything right. So I'd like to know how chazzers care for their bunnies/what their routines are like, etc.

Thanks! :)

I really want a mini lop. AWWWW!

SarahHound

I have 3! Two 2 year old Lop girls (one Dwarf Lop, one Lionhead Lop) called Islay and Jura and a 3 year old Netherland Dwarf boy called Arran. All are rescues.

Rabbits are not easy or cheap pets (the basics like food, hay, veggies etc are cheap, but vet bills can easily reach thousands as they are classed as 'exotics' by most vets). If you get a baby from a breeder (please avoid pet shops, for the same reason you shouldn't get a puppy or kitten from one), you will need to have him or her neutered around 6 months or so. Unspayed does have an 80% chance of dying from uterine cancer by the age of four. Males are at risk of testicular cancer if entire, not to mention an entire bunny of any sex will usually be grumpy, territorial and very different to housetrain.

Are you wanting indoor or outdoor bunnies? Rabbits are very social animals, they do best in pairs or more (male/female tends to work best, but other combo's can be done). It's quite unfair to keep a single rabbit outdoors, indoors is OK, but they will still appreciate company for when you are not there. Outdoor bunnies should always have a companion. It's recommended they have accomodation of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft for a pair here in the UK, I'm not sure what/if you have recommdations in the USA, but I wouldn't keep a rabbit in anything smaller than 6ft. A large dog cage with an attached puppy pen makes an excellent bunny home! If you are keeping it outdoors, you need an attached run so they don't get bored.

Hmm...what else...they should have good quality pellet food, diet should be 80% hay, 10% pellets and 10% fresh veg (fruit can be given sparingly, just a treat, as its too sugary).

What I would recommend is looking at rescues for rabbits, you can usually find a spayed/neutered and bonded pair there. In the UK rabbits need 3 vaccinations a year, but I don't think you need those in the USA.

I hope this helps :) My trio live outside in a 10ft x 6ft shed, with a hutch as a bed (the door is always left open).

Islay, Jura and Arran's new shed by Niseag, on Flickr

Islay, Jura and Arran's new shed by Niseag, on Flickr

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thank you so much for all the info! That's interesting about spaying/neutering. I've never heard of spaying/neutering rabbits being so important. So it effects their temperament? About how much is it to have them fixed?

Ahhh, your buns are ADORABLE! <3

SarahHound

Thank you so much for all the info! That's interesting about spaying/neutering. I've never heard of spaying/neutering rabbits being so important. So it effects their temperament? About how much is it to have them fixed?

Ahhh, your buns are ADORABLE! <3
Here's some links...
http://www.rabbit.org/health/spay.html

Reasons why you should have your rabbit spayed or neutered

• Male and female rabbits that are not spayed or neutered can start spraying urine to mark their territory when they start becoming hormonal at about four months old.
  • Approximately 80% of unspayed rabbits get uterine cancer at an early age.
  • Spayed or neutered rabbits that live in the house on the proper diet have a life span of ten to thirteen years.
  • Unspayed/unneutered rabbits that live outside have an average life span of three years.
  • Many behavioral problems are a result of a rabbit not being spayed or neutered. Such as lunging, boxing, grunting, biting, not using the litter box, not wanting to be held, trying to escape from their living quarters.
  • Spayed or neutered rabbits are much more likely to use their litter box.
  • There are many rabbit knowledgeable veterinarians that perform spay and neuter on rabbits. Check our vet referral list.
  • Rabbits should always live with at least one other rabbit. Rabbits that are spayed or neutered are much easier to bond, plus there will be no unwanted litters.
  • Your relationship with your rabbit will be a happy, healthy one.
  • Every day rabbits are killed at shelters due to the huge overpopulation. By spaying or neutering you rabbit you are helping to put an end to this.
http://www.bunnybunch.org/spayneuter2.html

My girls cost me £69 each to be done, my boy was done when I adopted him (this is the easy/cheaper route!). So I think £69 works out at $107 US. But like I said, if you get some from a shelter/rescue, they will often already be done, or they sometimes give you a money off voucher.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks for the links! I'm not sure where Kingston is, but I'll check it out.

The only thing I worry about is the hay, as we had to rehome our guinea pigs due to what we thought were hay allergies. So we'd have to figure out how to get around that if possible. We're in a new home now though, so it wouldn't be hard to keep the rabbit separate from my mom/brother who were effected most.

Thanks again for all the info, it's greatly appreciated. :)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thank you! When we had them, I didn't have as much of a reaction. However I'm not convinced any of us are actually allergic to the hay. At the time it seemed the only explaination, but now that we've moved to our new home is when all of our allergy troubles have completely stopped. The home was over 100 years old, and I think there may have been mold or dust causing the allergies. It was my mom who was convinced it was the guinea pigs, because when we visited friends for a few days our symptoms went away. But I talked to her about it, and she agrees it most likely wasn't them (or completely them anyway) because we continued to have reactions even after they were gone.

But anyway, I really appreciate all the info! I have no clue how long it'll be until I can get one, but I'm hoping sooner rather than later! Lol! A week or so ago we played with some baby mini lop rabbits and I've been swooning over them since, lol!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I know it's like $200 to get a female spayed, here.

I used to have a bunny... he lived forever :p Except when I can really remember him, is when he was quite old and grumpy XD We took him out on a leash and stuff often, and he had the kitchen to hop around (he had the whole house, then we got Rosey)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Okay, thanks! I'll have to call my vet. I'm not even sure if they do rabbits there. If not I'll have to call around.

Aww, lol! Yeah I've always wanted to have a little rabbit harness and leash. XD We have a fence now though, so I could let it hop around outside (while supervised) w/out a leash.

SarahHound

You have to be careful with harnesses, if a rabbit gets frightened whilst wearing one, they can bolt and break their necks/backs/legs etc. I'm not saying it happens often, but it has happened a few times on the rabbit forum that I use, and more than once is enough for me not to use them.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Wow I never knew that, how sad! Does it make a difference what kind of harness it is? Like would a padded puppia type harness be safer?

SarahHound

Wow I never knew that, how sad! Does it make a difference what kind of harness it is? Like would a padded puppia type harness be safer?
Well it really depends on the rabbits. I have used harnesses on my girls in the past and had no problems, but some people have, and now I just don't tend to use them (I still have them).

There's also a risk if they are indoor rabbits, going out can be such a temp change for them they can go into shock. That's not a problem though unless you have them out for ages.

I used this type...

Islay &amp; Jura on their harnesses by Niseag, on Flickr
no problems with it.

I imagine a mesh or vest type would be safer, like this...
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ra...2&tbnw=170&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thank you for all the info! Omg your bunny harnesses are ADORABLE! Just something about a bunny on a leash...lol!

I really want a mini lop, that's what I had growing up as my first rabbit. We've also had Netherland Dwarfs which I wouldn't mind owning again. Those are my two favorites. I've never had a Lionhead but I think they are PRECIOUS and would love one. I don't want anything too big because it'll be an indoor rabbit, and I need to have space in my bedroom for the cage, lol.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yah our harness was totally not that fancy :p It was OOOOOLD school.

Pepper was a badass. There was no worry of him getting frightened by ANYTHING.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Just thought I'd let you guys know that my dad had a hold on Netherland dwarf bunny from a show breeder!!! He decided to pass on it though, when he found out he could get us an iphone. *cry* I love my iphone, but I wanted a bunny so badly, lol! Oh well, the fact that he did that, makes me happy because now, once I have the money, I'm hoping it'll be easier to convince him to let me get one. :p

Members online

No members online now.