Aussie owners!

Red.Apricot

I'm following this thread with interest. My boyfriend has started sending me pictures of Aussie puppies, and he has actually been stopping owners of them when we're out and about to ask about their dogs. Even though they don't really seem like what he wanted when he made his list, he says he 'just likes them.'

SailenAero

Hits the Mark
most of the breeders i know and would suggest are in colorado and in texas
but if you are interested i will gladly help!

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I'm following this thread with interest. My boyfriend has started sending me pictures of Aussie puppies, and he has actually been stopping owners of them when we're out and about to ask about their dogs. Even though they don't really seem like what he wanted when he made his list, he says he 'just likes them.'
They are beautiful dogs but my love for them goes so much deeper than that.
But yall should definitely consider one ;)

most of the breeders i know and would suggest are in colorado and in texas
but if you are interested i will gladly help!
If we can't find what we are looking for around where we are moving, then I would LOVE your help!

Red.Apricot

They are beautiful dogs but my love for them goes so much deeper than that.
But yall should definitely consider one ;)
I think his does, too. He likes how bouncy and happy they seem to be, and he likes their energy level. The only sticking point for him is that he says he'd like a slightly more independent dog. We'll see.

Whether he gets an Aussie or not, his dog will be his dog, not ours. ;] I've got my hands full with Elsie.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I think his does, too. He likes how bouncy and happy they seem to be, and he likes their energy level. The only sticking point for him is that he says he'd like a slightly more independent dog. We'll see.

Whether he gets an Aussie or not, his dog will be his dog, not ours. ;] I've got my hands full with Elsie.
Lol the independence thing, well kind of lack there of, is why I live Aussies. I love a dog that always wants to be around you.

Red.Apricot

Lol the independence thing, well kind of lack there of, is why I live Aussies. I love a dog that always wants to be around you.
That's what I go for, too. Sometimes it seems like Elsie's goal in life is to be touching me at all times.

Right now, I've actually got a dog under each leg, lol. Zobby's only up on the bed with me because he's cold, though. When it's warm out, he's off doing his own thing.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
That's what I go for, too. Sometimes it seems like Elsie's goal in life is to be touching me at all times.

Right now, I've actually got a dog under each leg, lol. Zobby's only up on the bed with me because he's cold, though. When it's warm out, he's off doing his own thing.
Aw that is so cute!

stafinois

Professional Nerd
There is an Aussie club in Atlanta: http://www.gaasc.org/

There was somebody that I knew from the newsgroups that bred Aussies in GA. But, it was many years ago and I can't for the life of me remember her name. She always impressed me.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I've heard it mentioned that their dogs are a bit unstable temperament wise.. and they do discuss this "rumor" on their website mentioning:

"We have occasionally produced a dog who is not friendly with strangers, and a dog like this requires a lot of socialization to fit into some environments. Occasionally a dog never accepts people other than its family, and such a dog may require the owner to take precautions when people are around."

Could be just rumor or people ill handling the "working dog drive" but either way, it's something I would be cautious of

Other than that, I don't really know. I personally went a more show breeder route, so I don't know what to look for working breeder website wise lol

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
One breeder that a few members from a different forum recommends is Diamond Aire. I have no experience with them but they seem to produce awesome dogs. Lots of farm work titles as well as show and sport titles..

Diamond Aire

They're located in WI though.
I <3 Diamond Aire dogs, they are in the top running for where I'd like my next aussie to come from. I also really really like Slash V dogs, but I think if I were to go with Slash V I would go with a young adult, simply because I think some of their puppies might be too drivey for me personally and I'd like to be sure I get a dog who will be happy with what I can provide. :)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I've heard it mentioned that their dogs are a bit unstable temperament wise.. and they do discuss this "rumor" on their website mentioning:

"We have occasionally produced a dog who is not friendly with strangers, and a dog like this requires a lot of socialization to fit into some environments. Occasionally a dog never accepts people other than its family, and such a dog may require the owner to take precautions when people are around."

Could be just rumor or people ill handling the "working dog drive" but either way, it's something I would be cautious of

Other than that, I don't really know. I personally went a more show breeder route, so I don't know what to look for working breeder website wise lol
I <3 Diamond Aire dogs, they are in the top running for where I'd like my next aussie to come from. I also really really like Slash V dogs, but I think if I were to go with Slash V I would go with a young adult, simply because I think some of their puppies might be too drivey for me personally and I'd like to be sure I get a dog who will be happy with what I can provide. :)
Thanks yall :)

Upendi - I am going to PM you

Aleron

With the more protective herding breeds, I wouldn't necessarily call this an "unstable temperament". More like, temperament in the realm of possibility for the breed. I applaud them for being so upfront about the the possible temperament traits that can occur, for better or worse. A lot of these breeds were not supposed to be stranger friendly. Ideally, you'd want to see an aloof dog but if the genetics don't quite hit the mark on that you can end up with a dog who is "weird" about strangers. It is not reasonable to expect everyone breeding every breed will produce only dogs who are "ideal". There is a lot of variation on temperament within any breed. A variation with Aussies is that they can be overly protective. It wouldn't have been a negative against them for the work they were bred to do. In fact, some people probably preferred that trait.

As to if this seems like a good breeder or not, I'd say it depends on what you want in a dog.

Members online