white sheperd breeder

monkeys23

I would stalk rescues. You'll find a good pet there.

Sure wouldn't be looking for a white GSD for show or performance/work... They aren't accepted as GSD per the breed standard and breeding for color pretty much trashes functionality. That said, the white GSD people do try hard to hold themselves to doing things well, but still.... it is what it is. :rolleyes:

If you want something for work/performance, take color out of the equasion and start researching working lines.

Dekka

Just try me..
I have to disagree Monkey.

Not that I like breeding for colour, but white is so easy to breed for you don't end up throwing out too much genetic material to get the dogs you want. There is no reason you couldn't have a kick butt performance dog in a white GSD. I don't know about working drive.

Are they allowed by the white GSD rules to breed in regular coloured GSDs from time to time? That would be ideal (but likely makes too much sense to be happening)

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Are they allowed by the white GSD rules to breed in regular coloured GSDs from time to time? That would be ideal (but likely makes too much sense to be happening)
I also have to disagree with Monkey. There is no difference in a white GSD and its colored counterpart. You can find wgsd's doing all the same things as the colored ones and doing them just as well. There are just not as many.

To answer your question Dekka it depends which field you are looking at. Breeders of white colored GSD's will at times add in a colored GSD to their breeding lines if they see something in that dog that will enhance thier lines.

If you are looking at White Shepherd Breeders or Berger Blanc Suisse breeders(this is what our new puppy next year will be registered as through the FCI, through the UKC she will be registered as a White Shepherd) they do not add in colored GSD's to their lines because they are now seen and registered as a seperate breed.

To the op no matter what you are looking for in the WGSD (pet, herding, protection, service, SAR, Agility, ect...) you will be able to find a quality breeder that can provide a puppy that can have the drive and intelligence to do it. It all depends on the breeder and their lines. Since you are looking in Canada I can recommend two awsome breeders but they are in Ontario. I am not familiar with the breeders in BC so can't recommend any. Please feel free to pm me if you would like their names and websites. They produce proven show dogs, police dogs, service dogs and the like. So their dogs are very well rounded.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I would agree with Monkey to a point. Performance is not the same thing as work, just as no working line GSD breeder would ever bring in a showline roachback GSD I can't think of one who would even give a white GSD a glance since their foundation is showline and beyond that selected for color which few working line GSD breeders even give half a thought to. Most are way too fixated on natural grip, temperament, and nerve.

That said lots of dogs can do performance, I would suggest saving a life and finding your GSD in rescue. I know at least here we get a few white GSDs in at the shelter every year.

Dekka

Just try me..
I don't get the hate over the colour thing. The FCI recognizes them as a breed. Its not like they are doodle things.

I am sure there are loads of byb. But just because some do it wrong doesnt' mean you can't do it right. I agree work isn't the same as performance, which is why I said should have no problem finding a performance home.

(not that there is anything wrong with rescuing.. but its not like a 'cockapoo' where the most ethical way to get one is to rescue as there is no breed club, breed standard and usually no health testing or performance)

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I would agree with Monkey to a point. Performance is not the same thing as work, just as no working line GSD breeder would ever bring in a showline roachback GSD I can't think of one who would even give a white GSD a glance since their foundation is showline and beyond that selected for color which few working line GSD breeders even give half a thought to. Most are way too fixated on natural grip, temperament, and nerve.

That said lots of dogs can do performance, I would suggest saving a life and finding your GSD in rescue. I know at least here we get a few white GSDs in at the shelter every year.
The bolded part is false. The foundation of the White GSD is the same as the GSD. It was bred to be a working dog. And if you look at the right lines you will find the same drives as you would in any working GSD. If you are looking for WGSD's that can herd large groups of sheep all your do is look for the breeders that focus on that. And they are out there. If you are looking for a WGSD that has a strong drive for Sch. then look for a breeder that focuses on that. They are out there. And not just one or two. Most people are only familiar with the showline White GSD only because they are more prevelent. But many breeders focus on the working ability of the WGSD. The breeder we are getting our girl from breeds for drive, intelligence, temperment and structure. She has proven dogs in her lines that do herding, Sch., guide Dog work, and show.

It is all about deciding on what you want the dog to do and then finding the breeder that focuses on those things. Just like if someone wanted a Sch. quality dog you would look for someone who breeds not just for structure and temperment but also the drive for those traits. If you are looking for a dog to do herding same thing and so on. The GSD world is very diverse. And you can find breeders that focus on many different aspects of the breed. And the same is with the WGSD.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Sch is not the same as working either. Sch is performance. Work is work. They issue a paycheck and you'd be hard pressed to find one in a law enforcement agency or military anywhere. I'd put more on finding a dobe actually working somewhere before I'd see a white GSD doing an actual job for someone's pay. The foundation of the white GSD is showline - period... end of story. You will find them in the showring - you will find them in ribbon contests. You will not find them working or if they do it's as a novelty because no serious person or organization uses them in any kind of consistency. Don't feel too bad about it - American showline normal GSDs are there too.

Show me a breeder using their white GSDs as border patrol, a military who actually uses them, a line of working PP/police dogs, a sheep farmer who actually uses them to do anything besides worrying sheep in a round pen. Then we'll talk.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I have to agree with Kat about the wGSD. They've been kept around for their color. They used to be culled for it, but someone decided they liked and well, here you go.

I don't even know anyone in the Sch world who would even consider a wGSD as a performance dog for their sport. I know they're out there, but so are brindle labs. I'm not sure, but I think that there has never been a wGSD to place in the world championships in Sch.

Equinox

Kat09tails - do you mean no working line breeder would bring in a German show line dog, period, or no working line breeder would bring in a roached back dog?

The foundation of the white GSD is showline - period... end of story. You will find them in the showring - you will find them in ribbon contests. You will not find them working or if they do it's as a novelty because no serious person or organization uses them in any kind of consistency. Don't feel too bad about it - American showline normal GSDs are there too.

Show me a breeder using their white GSDs as border patrol, a military who actually uses them, a line of working PP/police dogs, a sheep farmer who actually uses them to do anything besides worrying sheep in a round pen. Then we'll talk.
Huh? No, the white German Shepherds have always been a part of the breed... the foundation for white German Shepherds are the same dogs you find in the pedigrees of black/tan dogs and sable dogs.

A white German Shepherd is just that, a German Shepherd with a white coat. Maybe you are mixing up White Shepherds and white coated German Shepherds. A white coated German Shepherd does not necessarily imply specified breeding FOR that color. You can breed German Shepherds and if two dogs carry the recessive gene for the coat color, you get white German Shepherds. Just as the foundation for long coated German Shepherds are not show line either...?

I don't know, it boggles my mind. Yes, breeders who breed specifically for color are going to sacrifice the more important (IMO) elements of the total GSD. But that does not mean every white German Shepherd you come across is from a strictly pet/show line breeding.

That being said, no, I have not seen wGSDs or WSS that impress me as working dogs, and I have to admit, being new as I am to working dogs, I AM impressed easily. I am just confused with the strong attitude towards this topic. If someone came along asking for long coated German Shepherd breeders, I would expect the talk about how breeders should not focus on coat length only, but I would NOT expect anyone to declare that long coated GSDs are from show lines only and therefore completely unsuited for work and even performance, and no one interested in such venues should even consider them.

As far as performance and showing goes, I have seen some white coated German Shepherds and White Shepherds very, very successful in agility, flyball, rally, obedience, herding, dock diving, etc. None in Canada, unfortunately, but I can ask around for you. I have a friend with two White Shepherds from a breeder who has handled her own dogs and titled them in multiple events, and I am sure she'd be happy to find out about any in your area.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Kat09tails - do you mean no working line breeder would bring in a German show line dog, period, or no working line breeder would bring in a roached back dog?
I know plenty of people in working GSDs. Most of them won't touch an American showline dog with a stick. The crippled ass dragging type and **** poor temperament is a put off to working ability. Generally speaking they're not good for much except the show ring, bark deterrents, and the couch. Usually police forces and dealers won't even look at them - I know of no guide dog organizations who will look at them either because of the hip to hock issues.

German showline is where things get fuzzy. Some do... some don't. Some german showlines find success in both fields. Personally if I was hedging my bets for a working dog I wouldn't be looking at a dog who had showtitles in their pedigree.

What I would be looking for is stuff like IPO, Sch titles along with a few dogs with things like Border patrol, narc detection, PP, patrol, or military. Those dogs believe it or not while not common are available to the public and if you've never experienced a GSD of sound working temperament I highly suggest it. You'll never look at another working dog the same way.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Sch is not the same as working either. Sch is performance. Work is work. They issue a paycheck and you'd be hard pressed to find one in a law enforcement agency or military anywhere. I'd put more on finding a dobe actually working somewhere before I'd see a white GSD doing an actual job for someone's pay. The foundation of the white GSD is showline - period... end of story. You will find them in the showring - you will find them in ribbon contests. You will not find them working or if they do it's as a novelty because no serious person or organization uses them in any kind of consistency. Don't feel too bad about it - American showline normal GSDs are there too.

Really? OK if you say so then it must be true right?

Wrong. Check out this link of one of the top kennels for WGSD's in Canada

Service Dogs bred by Hoofprint

These are just the working dogs that are listed that she chose to put on this page. There are actually many more. And here are the jobs of the different dogs on this page:

Cadaver Dog with Summit Search and Rescue Dogs
SAR
Hearing Dog from NEADS.
Guide Dog
Search and Rescue Dog with the Fair Oaks Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company.(This one helped at the pentagon)
drug detection dog
trained to search airplanes and other places for illegal substances.
trained to assist a quadriplegic
Explosive Detection (THis one was paired with a police officer)
Military
London Ontario Police Force

These are just a few mentioned on her page and this is just from one breeder. I would love for you to contact her and tell her that their work and her breeding them for their working ability is just a novelty.

With the right lines a WGSD can do everything its colored counterparts can do. It is as simple as that. If it wasn't so late I would post many more links to many more breeders just like her.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Really? OK if you say so then it must be true right?

Wrong. Check out this link of one of the top kennels for WGSD's in Canada
40 years in the breed with 19 service dogs total even if we're counting the ones whose job is to stand around and look nice. How many dogs has she bred? Seriously? If this isn't a novelty I don't know what is. Where are the titles in her breeding stock? When the only letters after the dog's name is that he passed TT and was OFAed I have to wonder. I don't see one picture of breeding stock that isn't a stack photo, a dog laying down, or a dog that isn't bugging a sheep in a pen.

Listen I think it's great that they can do stuff but generation to generation they are NOT working dogs. Don't write a fairy tale that the breeding can't live up to.

Romy

Taxiderpy

Umm.... Lewis County SAR has two on their team. One of them is worked by their training officer. She prefers lighter colored dogs working in the field and couldn't find any breeders she liked with light shepherds (her oldster that just retired was a very light silver) so she went with a white because the whites being bred now are pretty consistent.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Ok, I'll bite. Please show me the pedigree and pictures of a white GSD that has shown up in a litter of working line dogs sometime within the last decade. Thanks :D
Considering old fashioned bias toward the color and the fact that more than a few working kennels still practice the culling of litters down to the strongest 6 puppies, I'd be very surprised if many working breeders admitted to producing a white from their lines even if it did happen.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
40 years in the breed with 19 service dogs total even if we're counting the ones whose job is to stand around and look nice. How many dogs has she bred? Seriously? If this isn't a novelty I don't know what is. Where are the titles in her breeding stock? When the only letters after the dog's name is that he passed TT and was OFAed I have to wonder. I don't see one picture of breeding stock that isn't a stack photo, a dog laying down, or a dog that isn't bugging a sheep in a pen.

Listen I think it's great that they can do stuff but generation to generation they are NOT working dogs. Don't write a fairy tale that the breeding can't live up to.
Sorry but you are wrong. Read what I posted. I said this was just a few of the ones that work that she chose to put on her page. She can't list every single dog that has gone on to do a great service. There just is not the room or time for that.

You told me to show you some that are working because you said they can't and don;t. I proved with just one link and one breeder that she has consitantly bred working dogs to go on to work in multiple fields. So you have to find some way to degrade that because it proves you wrong.

Go ahead and keep degrading them. If you refuse to open your mind that is your choice. I know, and so do the many many people that work with these dogs on a daily bases, what they are capable of. And no amount of your degration of them will change that. They are a proven working dog. Sheena proves that to me every day. And I hear about it and see it every day from the many people I know who breed them, work them and love them.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Considering old fashioned bias toward the color and the fact that more than a few working kennels still practice the culling of litters down to the strongest 6 puppies, I'd be very surprised if many working breeders admitted to producing a white from their lines even if it did happen.
:hail::hail::hail:

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Sorry but you are wrong. Read what I posted. I said this was just a few of the ones that work that she chose to put on her page. She can't list every single dog that has gone on to do a great service. There just is not the room or time for that.
Are you out of your mind? Most people who produce working dogs are proud of each and everyone they produce and usually they don't have to go back to the early 80's to find dogs doing work. Usually there are pictures of the dog doing work... usually there are dogs within the pedigree who have even done the job.

19 dogs in 40 years isn't consistency. Not when you breed GSDs who should have working offspring in nearly every litter - wait... unless you're producing pets and showdogs. That would make much more sense wouldn't it?

It's not about being right or wrong it's about a fairy tale being perpetuated. Work is work- not to be confused with sport, performance, pets, and volunteer therapy dogs. When the only high profile dogs in the pedigree are coming from the pet breeder that is the Rin Tin Tin kennel you have to wonder what fairy tale is someone trying to sell you.

I don't know of a single working GSD breeder who practices puppy culling to a number anymore - working prospects are just worth too much in the current market. Just as I don't know a single person who practices color culling in GSDs - not that they couldn't exist but to be honest most people I've met who are active in working GSDs, dutchies, and mals could care less what color the dog is. All they care about is that the dog is able to do the job - doesn't break down at a young age - and isn't a big liability.

Tell ya what... for giggles why not bounce over to a working dog forum and ask them about examples of working white GSDs and breeders who produce white in their working lines?

Listen it's not about degrading anything. If your white GSDs make you happy all the more power to ya - but just because my papillon is a spaniel doesn't make it a working bird dog. Just because he can fetch doesn't make him a working bird dog. Even if he did fetch birds it doesn't make the breed - a working breed. Work generation to generation makes the dog a working breed. Having a job - a real job makes the dog a working dog.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.