Ah! Worms on poop?? help...

Dreeza

Freakin out a bit cause I am having trouble finding good pics of what diff worms look like...you wouldn;t think it would be that hard on the internet!

Anyways, yesterday after Oakley pooped, I noticed a little white thing hanging off the hairs around his butt...

It had a bit of a yellowish tinge & was about {---} long, flatish & about a cm wide. Tapered on both ends. Anyways, I went & looked at his poop & didn't notice anything else...so I kinda shrugged it off thinking it was something else (he had just run through the bushed after...)

Looked at another poop yesterday...nothing.

This morning looked again & the IDENTICAL looking thing was neatly laying on top (not in...) of his poop. So I have seen 2 so far...neither have been moving at all though.

Is it tapeworm? The pics make them seem so long...these 2 sightings were just so identical...I wasn't sure if the segments tended to be the exact same size.

He has been itching pretty bad too for awhile (he has been on & off itchy for a few weeks now...)...it just seemed to get worse in the past day tho.

Do I need to go to the vet today?? Is this an emergency situation or anything???

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i vote for tapeworm.

tapeworm is not a big deal. its def not an emergency. I would just call me vet monday and she would give me some wormer. my vet doesnt even see the dog. i just swing by and pick the wormer up.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Been there, done that last month. Was also tape and yours too sound like tape. The ones on Cider's poop weren't moving. In the middle of the night while relaxed there were ones crawling out of her anus on their own. While not an emergency, I couldn't have been more squicked out. After being wormed they ceased to crawl out of her on their own and she was pooping out a ton more of non moving ones.

Its not an emergency... like others said you need wormer... I also usually give the pet a bath and pay special attention to the hind end to ensure you get everything off. Many times though worms mean fleas... so check to make sure there are no fleas, so the worms dont come back.

lizzybeth727

We buy tapeworm pills at Tractor supply, other feed stores should probably have them over the counter. Petsmart even has them, wal mart used to but I don't think they do anymore (and they're all exactly the same drug as the vet gives). I prefer the ones specifically for tapeworms, not for combinations of worms, if you know it's just tapeworm.

Dogs get tapeworm from fleas, they eat the flea and that's what infects them. It's not contagious, and very unlikely humans will catch it (as we don't usually eat fleas).

Dreeza

mmmm, I like mine with bbq sauce personally!!

Thanks y'all. Phew. I figured tapeworm, but the pics just made them look diff, so I got scared, haha. I'll call the vet tomorrow...or just buy it myself...

And yep, he def had a stupid flea on him (i swear, the ones down here laugh in the face of flea meds, its redic) a few weeks ago.

Amanda885

I too agree with the tapeworm diagnosis.. just get Oakley some dewormer and keep a close eye. should go away soon. good luck! :)

fleas..mmm tasty treats, lol... ick ..jk! :p

Members online

No members online now.