Screaming while dreaming?

I wish that didn't rhyme..

How much vocalizing while dreaming in dogs is normal? Since day one, Pit has been one to dream with enthusiasm. Yips, whines, growls, running legs, twitching eyes, eating, you name it. As he got older, the dreaming became louder and well, scarier :confused:.

I catch him dreaming I'd say 5+ times a day and will be woken up countless times a night by his dreaming. Lately he's been screaming (yelping in fear/alert screams) a LOT in his sleep. Is there something I should be doing to help him? I'll wake him up if it looks like an especially bad dream, but often his screaming wakes himself up.

Just an odd realization; I've only witnessed him have a "happy" dream once where he wagged his tail. Every other dream is screaming, barking and growling. What's going on here? :eek:

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Benji has bad dreams sometimes, but I'm pretty sure they come from his past abuse. Maybe Pit had a bad scare once at the breeder's house and is dreaming of it?

Daisy barks in her sleep, but I think its more of an excited barking.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Both my dogs growl and woof regularly in their sleep, especially Zeus. But it's quiet, not as loud as Pit.

There was the time Zeus let out a gigantic wolf howl in his sleep that rattled the house, but that's the worse they've done.

I'd attribute any scares Pit remembers to situations that happened while he was with me. He's very sensitive and has had many a bad experience while in my posession unfortunately. I suppose that's probably what he's dreaming about, in which case I feel bad. Poor guy.

Hopefully his dreams calm down as we work through the damage caused by those scary experiences.

bcmoffatt

totally normal
Aw, that sounds so sad! :(

Sometimes mine whine, or sound upset otherwise... If they start yipping or yelping, I wake them out of it. Poor puppies!

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Mostly, Sarama is quiet when she sleeps, but I've heard her full blown motorcycle growl once or twice. Scared the crap out of me when I woke up to it . . . my only thought was that someone was in the house and Sarama was growling at them. Nope, out cold on the floor, dreaming away.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Mine dream too but if you are getting alot of rapid dreams, take a look at their living situation.. Maybe they are being teased during the day for example.. - stuff like that..

Hmm, I don't think so.

He's with me nearly 24/7. Comes to work with me and comes with me on errands. The only time he's alone is when he's in the car (the car is like his crate. He LOVES the car, it's his safe spot) or at my mom's if I'm going to be gone an extended period some place he can't come with me.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Just wanted to make sure.. Femka went from active dreams to flying right after we boarded them for a few days..
Maybe try more exercise to wear out the body more and stimulate the mind...?

Members online

No members online now.