German Spitz (Klein/Mittel)

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Anyone have experience with them? Obviously I won't be getting another dog for a long time, and really it will most likely be a Border Collie, but I rarely find breeds that I actually like and this is one I am interested in. My friend has this dog who was sold as a Pom, but really looks more like this:

She is bigger than a normal Pom (like maybe 15-16 lbs), and has a coat that is longer. I guess I kind of "prefer" that style of Pom, but being involved with showing I usually see TINY show type Poms that are very different, so I don't know how reputable the breeders are of that "bigger" style Pom. Now I learn that the German Spitz (Klein and Mittel sizes) are basically just a larger pom with more of a Samoyed style coat which is what I like about my friend's dog Hayley.

I just want to know more about this breed, especially temperament wise. I know I love the looks and the size, and I love Hayley's temperament but I don't know how "typical" it is.

Pops2

when the "pom" was first imported into the USA, the klein & mittel were considered one breed. so you had show winners up to 30# (side note same for pugs being bigger back then). also extra small & extra large are not normal for dogs and w/o breeding specificallly for size the dogs will slip closer to a natural size range (30-60#). so for small dogs a throwback will often be bigger than expected. the dog probably is a pure "pomeranian" just a throwback.

Members online