Whippets and Labs....

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
So DH is pretty insistent about getting a whippet for our next dog (a looong way off). I had my reservations at first, but whippets are definitely growing on me. However, I can't see myself ever being without a lab. In general, would these 2 breeds do well together, it would a lab be too rough and tumble for a whippet?

Pops2

depends on the whippet. I know of people whose whippets take red fox one out, but they may be a bit tougher than average.

FG167

We know a LOT of people with Whippets or Whippet x's in flyball with a variety of other breeds (staffy's, pits, labs, shepherds, mals) and they do fine. I think you'd do fine as long as it was a confident dog that wouldn't get "smooshed" by a strong lab ;)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I say get one now, and test it with your current lab. :)

Jk, but we really need more Whippets on chaz, so I can live vicariously through pictures.

But yes, I think they'd be fine. From what I've heard, they're supposed to be much stronger than they look, and are supposed to get along with most any other breed.

Oh my. My whippets hold their ground against the Belgian Malinois. Would have no concerns with a lab. :)

Edited to add: My whippets are from working (racing) bloodlines, not show. I have only owned one show whippet, but he also held his own against the working GSDs.

Members online

No members online now.