Do YOU have a good...

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Don't forget Fauquier County SPCA. They try real hard over there not to euthanize healthy animals, and they work with foster homes. They don't work with any all breed rescues that I'm aware of, but I think they work with some breed specific rescues. They are very knowledgeable about the bully breeds.

Prince William is improving. They work heavily with rescue, and they keep their runs pretty clean most of the time. They don't have time to get to know the animals though, so they can't offer you any info past what is on the shelter card, and they will tell you flat out that they can't make any guarentees as to the temperament of the animal. They are pit bull friendly.

City of Manassas Animal Adoption Center is kept very clean, but they need to work on their policies. They used to euth any pit bull that entered, but now they will put the nice ones up for adoption. I don't know if management has changed, but when I was there they euthanized based on what animals the shelter manager liked/didn't like. And they do not work with any rescues as far as I know.

Loudoun County Animal Shelter is ok with non-pit bulls, but they will euth any and all pit bulls that enter their shelter for no reason (there is no BSL). They do not work with all breed rescues, but do work with breed specific rescue. If it is a mutt, it has a poor chance of leaving alive.

Mostly the shelters around here are ok, its when you go into the more rural areas that they get crappy.
Arlington's is very nice, and they have lots of low cost programs . . . not just spay/neuter but microchipping and rabies. I haven't been to Alexandria or Fairfax . . . I try NOT to go to shelters, I might leave with something alive . . .

And further sound Charlottesville was very good the last time I was there, which was admittedly about twelve years ago . . .

But it sounds like we are very lucky in NOVA . . . there are a lot of good shelters around

BostonBanker

Our local humane societies are okay; nice facilities, but they do a terrible job with their placements. A friend of mine (professional dog trainer and owner of a rescue) took one to evaluate for them, and when she stopped at the store on her way home, was scared to get back in the car because the dog was aggressing at her so badly. The HS placed it in a home with children:yikes:. It was returned.

There are several nice private rescues, including my friend's, where I got Meg: www.randomrescue.org.

Picklepaige - Feel free to PM me any info on your shelter/dogs, and I can pass it along to my friend. The vast majority of the dogs she places are southern transports. If you can get them on a transport coming north, I'm willing to bet she would take some.

Boemy

I have three shelters in my area; they're all pretty **** good IMO. :) Spokanimal is trying to go to being a no-kill shelter again, last I heard. Spokane Humane Society is no-kill for dogs in most cases and is one of the shelters testing ASPCA's "Mission Orange" thing for matching dogs and owners based on personalities. SCRAPS is the one that went the extra mile to find a safe place for those ex-fighting pit bulls. (I got my cats there, too.)

We have some smaller rescue groups around as well. :)

Members online

No members online now.