You can vaccinate your pet on your own???

I didn't know you could do this? I was surfing Tractor Supply, and looking for some eye ointment for the kittens, and I found this..

http://tractorsupply.com/detail.asp?pcID=7&paID=1052&sonID=142&page=1&productID=26157

Is it safe to do this?? Cause if it is, maybe we can find something for Mika, and kittens, to vaccinate them.. But if it isn't, I won't bother. But I am curious.. They had something for cats too. Thank you for reading!

You can buy supplies to vaccinate your own animals.

I know a lot of breeders do it to cut down on costs.

However, I would be very careful, that one, you are getting te supplies from a reputable source and two, you know what you are doing.

Elissa

Spiritus

In Canada, we can self-vaccinate our animals for everything except rabies. By law, the rabies vaccine must be given by a vet. I personally vaccinate all my dogs, and the cats. I buy my vaccines from the vet. Depending upon the timing of "8 weeks old", I will vaccinate my own puppies, but they still visit a vet before leaving for their new homes.

I started "self-vaccinating" my horses, and figured if I can IM vaccinate a horse, it should be easy to sub-q vaccinate my dogs. If I had toy breeds though, I don't think I would be able to do it. I have "issues" with needles... ;)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I vaccinated my cats' initials but have had my dogs vaccinated at the vet.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
We vaccinate our animals too. Still have to take them in for Rabies like someone above but it comes out a bit cheaper in the long run for not much effort.

And the one you linked to is a good vaccine. It protects against distemper, parvo, kennel cough (this is your adenovirus and parainfluenza), etc. It covers your bases.

One thing you need to make sure of is get your animals records from your vet and make sure your dogs aren't allergic to a certain vaccine. Some animals are allergic to some vaccines and your vet should have that on record if you've gone to them for a while and they've noticed anything. Course I reckon they'd of told you about it though.

As for actually vaccinating them it's fairly easy. The way we do it for dogs at the clinic is DHLP goes in the left flank, rabies goes in the right flank, and KC goes in the right front. This is so if they have an outbreak we can tell which vaccine they reacted to by where the outbreak is radiating from. So the point is to just remember where you stick them (and maybe avoid the right flank, I'm not sure if it's a standard practice amongst all vets, this layout of where to stick the animal, but meh who knows?) so you can watch it to see if anything happens.

Other than that just read the instructions, it should tell you how much to draw up, and a cc (cubic centimeter) is the same thing as a ml (milliliter) so if it's saying 'give 1 cc of fluid' and the syringe is in milliliters then it's no big deal. However some syringes come in 'units' which aren't the same thing. But I think that's mainly just insulin really. Never seen 'units' used outside of insulin.

I was going to answer your question but I can't seem to find the vaccine information on the tractor supply website. tractor Supply is a great store though and I know people who buy vaccines from them. If you call and ask them what they have available, they will help you find the right ones. Just make sure it is a modified-live vaccine and personally I pass on the FeLV vaccine. But yours are outdoor cats right? You might want to vaccinate against that then. I don't know how effective it is.

showpug

I vaccinate all my dogs on my own, but I learned how to do it from my vet clinic days. It's actually rather simple and easy to do...

Julie

I am back again.
I also vaccinate my own animals, except for rabies by law. I just wanted to add, if you want to start giving shots you really should have someone qualified teach you how to do it. STEP BY STEP! Including no air in the syringe. What size syringe to use for what vaccination and animal. I would never do a first shot on young kittens either. You should also do research on each vaccination given, what it protects, and whether benefits outweigh the risk of the given shot. What possible side effects etc. Do your homework and find someone that can teach you before you "just give a shot".

Members online

No members online now.