What will I need?

Im trying to start a small grooming operation in my home, and take maybe a couple to a few dogs a week and charge very little, for the practice.

What I want to know is...what all will I need? What do you all recommend as the basics?

I have a new Andis clipper, this is the one I bought since it was all I could afford at the time http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...85&N=22 102 30 238&sku=848255&familyID=10361&

Anyway, I like the clipper, but I want something BETTER. I just cant decide between Oster or Andis, and which one to go with. I also need to know what blades to buy separately for all different breeds of dogs. I also need a blade that can do a close cut and not burn the dog or cut the dog. Any ideas?
Oh, and what's the difference between UltraEdge and Super Speed? Which would would work best?

Also...shears...are really expensive, and ill have to wait on that one. I have the ones that came with the clippers, so I guess ill use those for now. But once I decide to buy some, what are some good, inexpensive ones to buy?

I think the rest is pretty basic, shampoo's, conditionsers, bows, brushes, etc. I think I can handle that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
I am a dog groomer. :) The types of supplies needed are: blades and guard blades (several different types), blade cleaner, blade coolant, scissors (several different types -- scissors for people hair are often better), thinning shears, butter-cut thinning shears, curry brushes, pin brushes, combs (poodle combs are AWESOME, for any breed -- they are like $30 but it's totally worth it!), including shedding/cat combs, a mat breaker, a hand-stripper, nail clippers, quick-stop, superglue (incase you accidentally cut a dog -- you can often glue the cut together, depending on how minor the cut is), hydrogen peroxide (to clean off any blood), ear cleaner and ear drops (Blue Thunder is the best ear drop solution I've used), a grooming table and nooses, muzzles, cones, a high-pressure blowdrier, cage driers, a fluff-drier, crates, quicker-slicker, show-shine and perfume if you wish...I know I'm forgetting things, but I think that about covers it.

As for bathing, remember that you'll need several different types of shampoo. We use Nature's Specialties and Kelco shampoos. You'll need a shampoo for really smelly/dirty dogs, one for dogs with dandruff (oatmeal is good), one for dogs with dermatitis, hot spots, or other skin conditions, one for dogs with parasites, one that is good for stripping oils (for the dogs you hand-strip), color-enhancing shampoos, a hypoallergenic shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin, etc. You'll also need conditioners, and quicker slicker is good to add to the shampoo/water. For a regular bottle, 15 parts water and one part quicker slicker is good. You may decide that you're finding it too expensive to handwash, so you might want to buy a hydro-surge or bathing beauty which will cost $1000-2000 but will cut the cost of your shampoo dramatically. My boss used to spend tons of money on shampoo but since buying the bathing beauty has cut down the cost to about $1000 a month. Of course your cost will be less with less dogs.

We also have ecchinacea sprays to put on dogs' hot spots and cysts and whatnot and instruments we can use to scale the dogs' teeth, as well as dyes for the occasional person that wants their dog's fur or nose dyed.

Hope that helped, good luck on your quest to groomdom, I might also like to start up a home grooming business one day. :)

Staff online

Members online