Gambit Won't Stop Staring at me.

StillandSilent

And it's getting seriously creepy. Ever since the day I brought him home, he's had amazing eye contact. Unlike normal dogs, who look away when you look at them, he just keeps looking back at me, for as long as I interact with him. There's never been anything hard or aggressive about his stare, just a sort of curiousity.

Now he's staring even when I'm not looking at him. If I'm working on the computer, I feel his eyes on my back for 10 minutes at a time. At first, I thought I was paranoid, so I set up a mirror so I could watch him out of the corner of my eye, and, sure enough, he's staring at me. It's...intense.

Again, I wouldn't describe it as a hard stare, but there's definitely more going on then the average dog look. It's closer to a BC stare (and he is 1/2 BC), but not quite that either. If this were a strange dog, I would be totally creeped out and trying to delicately put space between us. In my own dog, who I trust totally, I'm still a little creeped out.

According to other people at work, he stares at me nearly all the time when I'm doing other things as well.

Does anyone else have a dog like this? I spend almost 24 hours a day with him (goes to work with me, homebody, studio apartment so we can't even be seperated there), so it's not like he needs to remind himself what I look like!

This isn't an actual problem, but I feel like the staring has gotten worse, and I'm a little concerned about where it goes from here.

StillandSilent

Umm....is it a good or bad thing that Gambit and Backup are alike? :lol-sign:

I'm not sure if I could handle a Gamb-up (Back-it?). Does anything improve the staring, or should I just get used to it.

BTW- a coworker reading my OP told me that Gambit used to stare at me like I was the Virgin Mary and he wanted to worship me. Now he looks at me like he's a 14 year old boy and I'm a Playboy. I really have charming coworkers. :rolleyes:

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Sure he's not an English Shepherd? LOL.

That totally describes Quinn. On her ride home at 8 weeks old she sat in my lap and stared up at me for minutes at a time and she's still that way. I will look over occasionally and most of the time she's staring at me and I will have no idea how long she's been like that. It's also really creepy when I catch her staring at me through a mirror, which is a favorite of hers.

Rolyx does this too, he's a intense starer...have even woke up to him just laying there, staring. Course, when you need his attention outside, well then you don't exist. :rolleyes:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There are dogs that don't stare at you 24/7?

My room mates used to complain that Summer was always staring at them. I don't even notice at all anymore. Don't get a papillon if you don't want a pair of big brown eyes watching your every moment.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Sienna used to do this, too, and yes it is a bit creepy! :) I'm not sure what exactly caused her to stop...but I think it was somehow anxiety based. She still does it occasionally when she gets worried about something - like if there's loud construction outside or, LOL, when the cat is yowling at me to pay attention to her. (For some reason the dog finds this stressful.)

Back when it was really bad, the more it creeped me out, the more she stared. I think she felt that I was uncomfortable, which made her uncomfortable, which made her stare harder. Which creeped me out more...and we were stuck in this awful creepy staring feedback loop.

My solution was to put her in her crate for a little while. Her crate has solid sides so she can't stare at me from in there. Another room would work, too...with a kong or something to occupy the dog.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Charlie stares. Half the time I only know she's staring is because I can hear her tail thumping away while she stares lol.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno burns holes into my soul with her eyes, yes.

I like it! I mean, sometimes it's a little weird lol but generally I am quite pleased that she's so focused on me. :p

chaospony

I have to say, having a dog that stared at me all the time would probably freak me out....unless it was Backup. Then I would probably be giggling all day.

StillandSilent

I'm so glad to hear that other people have dogs just like this. All of my babies and foster babies have loved me, but none of them have loved me with Gambit's intensity.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Having a Malinois is like having a stalker, so... yes, I get stared at. Mackenzy is also very stare-y.

Keeva... doesn't have that problem, LOL. She seeks eye contact because of reward history and when she's analyzing me, but not out of adoration.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Having a Malinois is like having a stalker, so... yes, I get stared at. Mackenzy is also very stare-y.

Keeva... doesn't have that problem, LOL. She seeks eye contact because of reward history and when she's analyzing me, but not out of adoration.
I just died laughing. It's so very true. When it gets annoying, I crate. lol

My father's nickname for Gambit is the Hemmeroid, since he's so far up my butt all the time. So, yeah, coyboys tend towards stalkerism as well.

Red.Apricot

Elsie's not staring at me right now... Because she's asleep under my desk. When my chair squeaked while I was typing she opened one eye to make sure I'm not going anywhere, though.

She watches me when she's awake.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
OMG :rofl1:

Usually if I'm like, "Hey, where's Blossom?" she's usually just so close to me that I didn't see her. *facepalm*
Haha, this happens to me all the time, too. Sienna also thinks it's funny to stay directly behind me while I turn around and around trying to see her. :D

Members online

No members online now.