Looking For Solution To "Tender Toes"

vmills

SimAlvin
We call our Cockapoo Simon "tender toes" cause he insists on pulling his paws away from anyone, even the groomer, who's cutting his nails or cutting the hair that grows in-between his pads.

Any one know to to get him to stop? The problem is that as soon as you've got the clipper ready to cut or the scissors about to clip, he yanks his paw away. I am afraid I'll end up cutting him.

Just keep working with him grab his paws and don't let go. Scold him when he he pulls and when he stops praise him from no pulling. when just being grasped he stops fighting introduce clipper and scissors. it is mostly about time don't give up it will only get worse if you do.

Saeleofu

I would try to use a clicker and desensitize him. Click/treat for holding still. Start with just a couple seconfds and work up to longer amounts of time - go slow! Once he holds still long enough, add the clippers or trimmers one at a time and repeat. C/T and JACKPOT when you actually get to the point of cutting a nail. Be sure not to quick him or you may have to start all over.

vmills

SimAlvin
Thanks for the responses

Forgot the praise part! And will try the clicker - hopefully it'll work before he gets quick clipped or stabbed in the pad.

Simon is usually very docile. His paws seem to be off limits!

Saeleofu

It's actually a very, VERY common problem. So don't feel too bad ;) Just takes a little patience.

B

Backward_Cinderella

Def. make it a positive experience, weather you use a clicker or not, and do it randomly, while you're giving out belly rubs, or cuddling, or whatever, play with those feet!!! I used to tell owners this when I groomed dogs. :)

Members online

No members online now.