Agility training

Elrohwen

I think what happened here is most likely he went over threshold. He was uncomfortable and he couldn't get away and it kept happening. Next time, before they start working on the teeter, leave the arena and go as far away as you can again. See if he's able to stay calm there, then you can work on it there. Basically do Look At That, except it's more Hear That.
They make CDs that have agility trial sounds and stuff, you could try that. You might also work on loud sounds in general and see if you can't teach it as a generalized game. Clanging pots and pans around, dropping things that clatter when they hit the ground.
Yeah, I know that's what happened. It was just frustrating because I couldn't seem to get far enough away to calm him down - if he could hear it, even a little, he was upset. It was hard for me to watch and not be able to help him cope. Next time I'll have to try putting him in the car, and maybe parking it far away. His initial reaction was pretty mild, so I didn't expect him to get panicked so quickly after that.

He's not phased by CDs with sounds or anything. We've done that in other classes (like show handling) and he doesn't care. We've walked around agility trials and the teeter didn't bother him, probably because it was a generally noisy environment - one bang in a quiet place is much more disturbing to him. I do bang pots and pans around, even make him bang them around, and he'll do it, or hang around for treats, but he still hasn't learned to enjoy it. He'll smack the pan lids with his paw like "See, I didn't like that but I did it. Can I have my treat now?" He's not phased by fireworks other than barking at them once or twice. He's fine with gun shots (hasn't experienced them in close range though). So I definitely wouldn't call him generally noise-phobic at all, just noise-uncomfortable? I was surprised he reacted so strongly.

I'll have to see if our instructor can help us work on it since I don't think getting a teeter of my own is going to happen. Unfortunately renting ring time is only for members.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fred did 9 obstacles on Sunday! Well, a set of jumps and the tunnel as a mini course.

We are still doing basics beginner stuff, and omg I didn't realise there's so much brain work involved. It's not easy to remember where you are going, and direct a dog. I'm waiting to fall face first. It all goes in a blur!

We are practicing contacts with a view to trying out the dog walk thing soon. Technical term.

Finally found a trainer I really like and she's nice to boot. She's actually competing with her own dog at crufts today! Must keep an eye out for her!

xpaeanx

I got a recommendation to an agility trainer... I've emailed with her a few times and she seems very, very nice/awesome.

I am going to check out one of her classes in a few weeks when I have time off from school. And then when the semester is over/it warms up, we'll be starting with her. She holds classes at her house over the summer because she has a large backyard with a full course set up. In the winter she rents a facility to do training... but I'm really busy with school right now, so I'm game for her outdoor classes. haha!

Elrohwen

Fred did 9 obstacles on Sunday! Well, a set of jumps and the tunnel as a mini course.

We are still doing basics beginner stuff, and omg I didn't realise there's so much brain work involved. It's not easy to remember where you are going, and direct a dog. I'm waiting to fall face first. It all goes in a blur!

We are practicing contacts with a view to trying out the dog walk thing soon. Technical term.

Finally found a trainer I really like and she's nice to boot. She's actually competing with her own dog at crufts today! Must keep an eye out for her!
Go, Fred! It's nice to have other beginners on the thread too :)

SaraB

Zip Tie is learning to bend over jumps. He's a big circler like Zuma is and wants to be in full out extension all of the time. So we are working through some collection exercises. This was his first time doing this exercise at 16", we are going to do 20" next time. He can jump nicely when he wants!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100855918486282&l=8266061310363167465

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, I know that's what happened. It was just frustrating because I couldn't seem to get far enough away to calm him down - if he could hear it, even a little, he was upset. It was hard for me to watch and not be able to help him cope. Next time I'll have to try putting him in the car, and maybe parking it far away. His initial reaction was pretty mild, so I didn't expect him to get panicked so quickly after that.
That's how it works when a dog goes over threshold, you generally can't "fix" it or work on it anymore. The key is to keep them from going over and work on it just under. Putting him in the car if he goes over is a good idea, but ideally you'll be able to work on it without him ever going over. Even if it means going outside and working outside the building to start.
You're spot on that the bang of a teeter in a trial setting can be totally different than the bang of a teeter in the training facility. The type of facility can be different too, depending on acoustics of the building and stuff. The bang on a packed dirt surface versus turf versus matting, for example, those can all sound different! And if it's a small building or a large one, ceiling height, all those things, it can be complicated.
Mine don't care about the teeter, fireworks, they don't care about thunder either... but what the boys don't like is when thunder rattles the windows in the house. It doesn't have to be a generalized dislike of noise or even loud noises. Don't worry, he's not weird, LOL. It happens.

If your instructor can take even five minutes at the end of class (or maybe the beginning right before it starts) to help you work on it, that would be super helpful! I'd be happy to put in a few extra minutes to help a student, but I know not all instructors feel that way. I'd ask about it anyway.

Elrohwen

That's how it works when a dog goes over threshold, you generally can't "fix" it or work on it anymore. The key is to keep them from going over and work on it just under. Putting him in the car if he goes over is a good idea, but ideally you'll be able to work on it without him ever going over. Even if it means going outside and working outside the building to start.
You're spot on that the bang of a teeter in a trial setting can be totally different than the bang of a teeter in the training facility. The type of facility can be different too, depending on acoustics of the building and stuff. The bang on a packed dirt surface versus turf versus matting, for example, those can all sound different! And if it's a small building or a large one, ceiling height, all those things, it can be complicated.
Mine don't care about the teeter, fireworks, they don't care about thunder either... but what the boys don't like is when thunder rattles the windows in the house. It doesn't have to be a generalized dislike of noise or even loud noises. Don't worry, he's not weird, LOL. It happens.

If your instructor can take even five minutes at the end of class (or maybe the beginning right before it starts) to help you work on it, that would be super helpful! I'd be happy to put in a few extra minutes to help a student, but I know not all instructors feel that way. I'd ask about it anyway.
I was trying to stay calm, I'm usually a calm person even when he's nuts, but even I was start to feel upset watching him panic. Poor puppy :(

I like the 6:00 class better but it's a shame we're not at 8:00 anymore because that's the last class and slipping in a few minutes at the end would be easy. I'll see if she thinks we could fit something in. She's extremely nice, so I'm sure she'll try to think of something.

BostonBanker

I've been so desperate to trial again after Gusto's phenomenal showing last month, and now I'm stressing a bit. We are entered next weekend at one of my favorite trials (as far as well run/great people), but the site is less than ideal. My own dogs have actually never had any issues there, but more and more I'm hearing complaints/concerns about how dogs are running there. I'm already pretty sure I'm going to scratch Meg. I just had her entered in one class each day, but I swear I've seen her take a couple of funny steps this week. It is SO mild if she is off, but that combined with running on mats...eh. I'm not sure it's worth the risk. The dog owes me nothing at this point. I am thinking that with all the ice/snow/crappy footing in general, maybe she just tweaked something last weekend when I took them to run at the fairgrounds.

I'm still hoping for Gusto to do well. He's had some good runs at this facility before, although not as great as he runs on turf. I don't need perfect, just some evidence that the last trial wasn't a complete fluke! It will be his first trial at all masters level classes, so we shall see.

Then in April we have a seminar on turf, and an OUTDOOR trial at the end of the month. I am so freaking excited to get outdoors again. While I do have a couple of indoor facilities I like and my dogs like, I am much better suited to outdoor trials. I get to put up my tent, have my own little private space, and feel like I can breath.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Good luck, Boston!

Today I was asked how Lodin's agility training is coming along and I just laughed and laughed and laughed... haha

Oko

Silence, peasants.
[YOUTUBE]x5gj7q6YlaA[/YOUTUBE]

As it turns out, Feist loves this kind of wrapping around trees stuff, so we've been playing with it! And she did finally start to learn the other direction today :rofl1:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
This weekend was our "test run" trial so to speak. Got the baby dogs in the ring before taking them to Louisville and unleashing them.

Payton did okay, he still has some tire issues that stem from me just not having a tire jump put together at my house so NEVER practicing it. It's my fault. Regardless he picked up an extra Q in JWW on Saturday. Had nice contacts all weekend long and did a lovely job with lead outs. Sunday in JWW he tensed and thought about leaving before I released him, but he didn't. Like his body twitched forward a little bit and then he caught himself and settled back into his sit and stayed. If I were allowed to I would have gone back to him and given him a cookie LOL. A "good decision!!" had to suffice. I don't care about the NQs, I was taking the opportunity to work on some things. He has a great stay on the table that pretty much allows me to get wherever I want to be.

Georgie had no Qs Saturday but Sunday got a double Q which gives her a second leg toward her NA. She had nice contacts all weekend to but her stays are not as good. She won't break the line but she stands up from her sit. In JWW (second run) I actually went back and made her sit again, then went to run with her. She doesn't take things personally exactly, but because I had gone back to make her sit back down she was like "oopsie, I did something wrong" and she came around the first jump with me instead of taking it. Did fine after that. Saturday she made a very difficult weave entry. Also did the chute both days without any issues which was a previous challenge for her, and we didn't even practice the chute. I was quite pleased with her. Glad I only entered her in Louisville for two days though, because she was pretty much done by the end of Sunday.

Both dogs have less than exciting weave poles in trial situations. I don't get it because Payton is a real rock star at his weaves when we're in the backyard, hits all kinds of entries, does recalls through them and sends to them and one time I even tripped and dropped my treat bag full of cookies all over the ground and he kept going. But just not enough value to them for his performance to stay together in a trial I guess.
Georgie doesn't have as good of a performance, my mom doesn't proof them as extensively as I do, but she certainly knows how to perform them reliably and yet they are... well... NOT reliable in a trial. I'm not sure how to fix that. Just keep trialing, keep practicing, and hope it works itself out? I know they are both baby dogs but I feel like they should be able to do weave poles. Auggie had great weaves. And there I go comparing them to Auggie again because I am terrible and unfair.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Yay Feist!

Beanie sounds like you guys did awesome! Funny when things don't translate from home to trial, eh? Or I guess aggrevating more than funny.

Monday coming we have our third Jess Martin seminar.. and then the 28/ 29 is her first official trial. Oh god I hope she can grow a brain in 17 days..

k9krazee

Yay tree-wrappin' Feist!

Beanie, sounds like a super fun, helpful warm up weekend!!

Crossbone was craaaaazy last night. I think I found his secret (partially thanks to you, yv0nne!). I learned if I "wind him up" and do some spinning before we start it gets him super revved up and focused.

I'm having so much fun with him. We're finally starting to really click as a team.

DJEtzel

[YOUTUBE]x5gj7q6YlaA[/YOUTUBE]

As it turns out, Feist loves this kind of wrapping around trees stuff, so we've been playing with it! And she did finally start to learn the other direction today :rofl1:
Patton loved listening to this. XD

She looks great! :)

iriskai

I'll have to come watch the Shelties run in Louisville. :)

Mimi had a stellar class yesterday. Worked on a rear crosses (because I'm not ballsy enough to try a blind!) and she did well! Historically, we haven't had good rears as Mimi likes to see me move. She's getting more confident and I'm trusting her more. Only missed her weave entry once (I got ahead of her) and only popped a pole once (not even the last one!). I'm pretty happy with how her weaves are coming considering I had NO idea what I was doing. After Ezra's class we worked on finding the back side of a jump, which we've only done one other class. She was on board for the most part, which is awesome considering how demotivating 270s were the first time we tried. Yay novice handler.

Ezra's just.. Ezra. :) His default behavior is now his target/contact behavior (bowing) and he does it every. single. time. he's confused about something. It's cute, not helpful, but cute. He's having fun and starting to understand some basics. He's an A+ on holding his target behavior, though. Something I never pushed with Mimi.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Sorry I've been MIA here... I swear we are still doing agility...just been really busy! Hope everyone here is having fun -- sounds like most are!

Sekah

The Monster.
You all have been working so hard! Congrats everyone. I feel positively lazy as a result. :p

We had a fun weekend at agility houseleague. Each session is comprised of 2 agility games and 1 standard run. One of the games was called Helter Skelter and it's basically a speed/point gathering game with a bit of optional (but +++ points) distance work thrown into the mix. Basically it's 60 seconds of "run as fast as you can". Cohen NAILED it. She ran clean, she got all distance obstacles, she handled like a dream, she got further and she scored higher than any other dog in the time allotted -- even sports bred BCs and the trainer's dogs.

The rest of our runs weren't exactly flawless, but I was so happy with that one. It's just a joy to get to see Cohen run flat out like that. And, as an added bonus, she handles so nicely at a distance I wasn't wheezing for breath at the end of the 60 seconds. :)

My cruddy handling was to blame for most of our faults in our other runs. Cohen is coming along very nicely.

Members online

No members online now.