Surnames

xpaeanx

I have my mother's maiden name.

Personally, I like it that way. LOL.

But, in your situation if he is going on the Birth Certificate, I doubt the last name of the child would count for much. If he is going into this WANTING to be a father, then I would consider using his last name.... If you are kinda dragging him a bit, I'd prob just go with yours.

I think people are getting very much past the whole last name things with all the non-traditional families out there. So I say in the end, just pick the name you like best and want the kid to have.

GipsyQueen

Honestly, if I had a do over I wouldn't change my last name. I had no idea how alien it would be going from the name I'd had for 22 years to a name that wasn't even mine. It felt like a loss of identity and I think it really contributed to the problems we had early on. If my maiden name wouldn't look incredibly stupid being hyphenated I would have done that. (My maiden name is New. It doesn't matter what the last name is, it would look stupid. Lol.)

I dunno what I would do if me and Matt weren't married...I suppose it would depend on how committed we were/are (ie one night stand, couple month relationship, long term relationship).
Yeah see I always assumed I wouldn't mind changing my name... now I dunno. I LIKE my lastname... but it's too long to hyphenate and it would look stupid with SOs name. We (taqroy & I) would have the same last name though if/when I change my name though. :lol-sign: (not to be a creaper, but you just posted in the group. lol)

k9krazee

I loved growing up with my siblings and even though we all have different fathers we all had the same last name.

I'm getting married in a few months. I always assumed I would change my last name but now I'm undecided. We won't be having kids, so I don't see it as beig that important. But my brother got married an she didn't take his last name & I just thought it was....strange, for lack of a better word.

We work together so I don't really want to change my business cards, passwords, name on everything and I don't want people to think I'm a funeral director because of him. At this point I'm thinking of using my last name as my middle and taking his last name. That way ill still use mine at work & we'll still be viewed as a "couple" in the world.

I guess in the big scheme of things, it's really not that important.

Equinox

I had it easy, my mother and father both have the same last names. One (only) perk to having the most common last name for my race.

My mother and her brother, though, did take their mother's (my grandmother) surname. This is despite the fact that my grandmother and grandfather remained married until the day he passed away, a few years ago.

If/when I get married, I will keep my own surname. Not sure what would happen if/when I had kids, though they'll probably take their father's surname. I don't really have a strong preference either way, although I do like the hyphenated name idea and haven't thought of that before.

Grab

Yeah, my only real concern is international travel. I guess bringing along a copy of the birth certificate would solve that.
My SIL did not take her husband's last name. So he and the kids have one last name, she has another. They both travel internationally and have moved overseas and have never had an issue

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
My parents divorced when I was small and my mom remarried a few years after that, so I had my dad's last name and she had my stepdads. It never caused any issues.

I didn't mind taking DH's last name. My maiden name was one that I was CONSTANTLY having to explain how to pronounce and spell, and DH's name is much more straightforward. I just prefer to be called Ms. <lastname> as opposed to Mrs.--Mrs. sounds too old to me-lol

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
My parents separated when I was three. For a long time I was hyphenated, then when I was around 10 or 11 I dropped my moms maiden name and just kept my dads last time. It was purely for aesthetic reasons - I preferred the way it looked and sounded. Even my mom admits that her maiden name doesn't sound good with my name LOL.

I have very little attachment to my last name. It's been years since I've seen anyone from my dads side of the family. It's very likely I'll take my husbands name when I get married, and I assume if we have kids they'll have his name as well.

I have my both my mother's maiden name and fathers last names, hyphenated. Since I am now not currently associated with my father, if I really wanted to, I would just drop his last name. Since it's not an inconvenience to me in any way, I just leave it.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
When my mom got divorced a second time she kept his last name after the divorce because she thought it would just be easier on my little sister through school for them to have the same last name.

When we get married I'm not sure if I will hyphenate or not. I like my last name, and I'm the last of the line, but I'm lazy and that's a pretty long last name with both of them. They don't sound bad together though.

I can say that I hate when people only sometimes use the hyphenated name at work because it always takes forever to find them in our computer system because everything is filtered for last name.
It's such a hassle when it's like...
Try Davis. (not there)
Try Smith. (not there)
Try Davis-Smith. (not there)
Smith-Davis? :)mad:)
Oh, I think it's under my husband's first name maybe... :)wall:)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I have my dad's last name. And my mom had her father's last name. And so on, and so forth. My family is very traditional (and I haven't had to deal with any kind of divorce/remarriage situation).

Mike has his mom's maiden name. His mom and his dad were never married, so he just kept his mom's name.

When we marry, I will take his last name...but I like my last name better. LOL My last name flows better with my first and middle names, it sounds prettier, it looks prettier when I sign it...*sigh* Oh, well.

Members online

No members online now.