problems with training?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I agree with the above. His methods are VERY strong and physical. Granted, from what I understand, many trainers who work with dogs for protection use the same/similar methods. But those are for dogs from working lines! Going by my personal experience, there is HUGE difference from a dog from working lines and a dog from non-working lines, even if they're the same breed! Do not go to this guy for advice on a pet.

Last edited:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
that is one of the worst training sites on the net.

they even give out false info about fitting prong collars - in a way you can do some really serious damage. :mad:

R

rottiegirl

Well I dont understand why you think he gives out wrong information about prong colars. just because you think they are cruel, does not mean that they are. in fact, choke chains are worse. I have used prong colars and they work great.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I don't think Mordy was criticizing prong collars. Just the way this site in particular advises them to be fitted.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
:eek: Leerburg?! I don't think so. This guy advocates kicking the sh*t out of your dog as a method to get him to stop jumping up. I've read through the entire Q&A forum before too, so I know what he says. Maybe if you have a super-dominant, super-aggressive dog...but for the normal dog? RUN.

R

rottiegirl

I havent read through much of the Q&A yet, I just read a little and it did give some good advice. but I will go back and read more because you might be right. The advice he gives on how to fit a prong colar is correct though.

Julie

I am back again.
I have read thru alot of this site at one point or another.
I can see why some people would run the other way, but I have found him
to be informative, but rude. Terrible "bedside" manner but I do
believe alot of what he says. Especially the information on breaking up severe dog fights.

I never believe everything I read on the web, I just take what I want and leave the rest.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Julie said:
I have read thru alot of this site at one point or another.
I can see why some people would run the other way, but I have found him
to be informative, but rude. Terrible "bedside" manner but I do
believe alot of what he says. Especially the information on breaking up severe dog fights.

I never believe everything I read on the web, I just take what I want and leave the rest.
I will agree with that. Some of the general stuff, like breaking up dog fights, is the same regardless of the training method you prefer to use. I think there were a couple other things that I thought "I should probably remember that"...but for the most part I would not recommend the average person trying to use his techniques. Too many of them border on abuse and while Ed may know where to draw the line, Joe Sixpack down the street may not.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I think Leeburg does have some sound obedience advice, but I agree that his techniques are definately too harsh for the average dog. He specializes in protection dogs, and those are definately a breed apart (no pun intended, LoL).

Mordy

Quigleyfied
rottiegirl, there is something that is called "reading comprehension". i never said that prong collars "are cruel", i said the site gives incorrect information on how to fit them.

i don't know where you are getting your information from, but i am german, the prong collar was invented by a german, and i've been familiar with fitting and using them for 25 years now, in practical use, not just "reading knowledge".

remember that study done on prong collars vs. choke collars that you yourself cited somewhere on this forum? the outcome that study had could not have been possible with an incorrectly fitted prong collar. they do not belong high up on the neck behind the ears because it's a delicate and neurologically very sensitive area of the dog's anatomy.

back to the topic at hand tho, no matter what anyone says, and no matter if we are talking about working dogs or pet dogs, i will never endorse any trainer who supports outright animal cruelty such as beating a dog. yes, some dogs need more discipline than others, but beating and kicking is never an acceptable option.

Julie

I am back again.
My two labs are hunting dogs, and my GSD is a Patrol dog. They all have jobs and all "work". I can say I have found this site helpful in some circumstances. But like I said before, I take what I need and leave the rest.

I can also say I have never beat or kicked any of my dogs. They all trust me completely and want to please.....

so I must have done something right, especially considering all the Labs and GSD's in Shelters with "behavior" problems.

My dogs must listen all the time, they are in many different situations and places because they are really part of my family and join us in many activities. They see new things everyday and I have yet to have a problem. (besides Shiloh's agression towards Rocket) which we deal with on a daily basis. Shiloh has to be seperated from Rocket or the death match is on......
So they are seperated because Shiloh attacks her at every chance.

But I still don't give up. My commitment is to the dogs I have, and none of them will be rehomed because of lack of commitment.

And my dogs also live in my home with me and the kids and hubby. I feel it is very important to make my dogs a part of my family. Although Shiloh makes this very hard.

Just because some disagree on training techniques doesn't mean that we are ignorant, because what might work for me, might not work for you.

My Charlie can do blind retrieves all day long with just a hand signal, and Rocket and Charlie met horses several weeks ago and if I wouldn't have known better I would have thought they were raised with them.

And Charlie and Shiloh ( bird dogs ) do not give a second glance to my sons parakeet, and I credit this to their socialization and training.

I really don't care what anyone can say, I am proud of my dogs, and my techniques. When you get two labs and a shepherd together you better have some guidelines in order or you will be asking for chaos.

And it is even better when you let your dogs in for the night and they go to the floor beside your bed and lay down. I feel so safe with my 4 legged friends by my side.

I am sorry for rambling, but I really am proud of all the progress with my family. And not any one training technique can be right for everyone.

Thanks for listening,
Julie.

Members online

No members online now.