Amazing, a pro Pitbull article on CNN

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Gamedogs.com had better set up some defenses...they're going to get overrun with people checking in to see what's up.

This was a pretty good article, I do like how they make a big distinction between culture and race. This actually came up on the morning show on the station I listen to. This guy called in complaining that the only reason Vick is being prosecuted is because he's black, blah blah blah. This is also the same guy who had a problem with the massive police hunt a couple months ago looking for Kelsey Smith, who was a white teenager (and daughter of a cop). Anyway, he was running his mouth off again, so I called in and said that if he wants to make it a race issue, go for it, but blame your own race. They're the ones who took a dog that used to be owned by presidents, starred in TV shows, was known as the nanny dog and boasted the most highly decorated war dog ever and made it into this paragon of gangsta thug machoism.

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
I can see gamedogs getting alot of hatemail in the near future.

Interesting article and very surprising to see somebody defending the pitbull like that.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
~QUOTE~ The blood sport has operated underground for years, but many agree the hip hop use of pit bull images moved it out of the shadows -- and the Vick case placed it at center stage.

I totally AGREE with this statement! Being that I live in Boston and lots of pitbulls are in the inner city where their is gang activity, drugs, and illegal weapons. Pitbulls are very common in the troubled areas of town where thug life is prevelant thanks to rappers like DMX who has a big following of his music and has used several pitbulls in a negative light in his videos.

Sad!

I hate how people do that! Its so wrong! What IS wrong with people? In this article I liked that they give bitbulls a GOOD wrape. I just can't beleive people! its makes me SO MAD!!!!!!!!!:mad:

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Ugh, I do not appreciate the way that article uses break sticks as if they are a fighting tool. That is not what they are, and I know plenty of extremely responsible owners who have them.

Now people are going to be looking at them as if they are fighting tools. Great.

Groch

Gadget Hound
Ugh, I do not appreciate the way that article uses break sticks as if they are a fighting tool. That is not what they are, and I know plenty of extremely responsible owners who have them.
OK, I'll bite, I guess the article has me fooled too. Why would you need a break stick if you had a happy non-aggressive Buster Brown type pit bull?....

Nevermind, I just googled and found this on the APBR site:

Why Every Responsible Pit Bull Owner Needs a Break Stick
Because pit bull dogs have been bred for their fighting abilities and can cause serious injury to other dogs if a fight is not broken up quickly and efficiently. Keep in mind that most dogs fight differently than pit bull dogs. A pit bull's inherent reaction in the heat of a fight is the one of a Terrier with a prey. The pit bull will work to get a solid grip and then hold and shake. This is quite different than most other types of dogs who do a lot of random biting, growling and barking but will most likely quit when their opponent shows signs of submission. In many cases, a non-pit bull fight will be a lot of noise and snapping jaws, usually resulting in little damage. Since a pit bull will firmly grip and hold its victim, break sticks have been designed to break their grip. This is the safest, easiest and most effective way to stop a pit bull fight. No responsible owner should be without one.

This does seem to somewhat contradict an argument that behavior is all environment and no genetics. But a break stick sounds like a good thing to have if your dog in contact with others.

Miakoda

Gamedogs.com had better set up some defenses...they're going to get overrun with people checking in to see what's up.
gamedogs.com has been shut down for a few months now.

Miakoda

Oh. I'm out of the loop. :) Guess they don't have to worry then.

LOL. In only heard it through the grapevine on another forum a few months back. The site and some who participated are under investigation.

Miakoda

The site is still there, was there a forum?
Weird. I tried getting it yesterday just to make sure it was still down before I posted what I did and it was. Hm.

As far a "cat mill" is concerned, it's also termed a jenny and is no different that a hot walker for horses.....in fact it's based upon the same principle and design. Instead the dog owner hangs a piece of hide or a toy for the dog to try and get and some owners don't use anything. I've never heard of one old time APBT owner using a live animal on a jenny.......that whole theory came about with the HSUS trying to get their 15 minutes of fame in the 1970's (as did the bait dog theory).

Let's just remember people that all the media-proclaimed "dog fighting paraphernalia" is not so in the hands of responsible people. I own a slatmill for my dogs....so does my friend with in Aussie (in fact, she got that mill from me and her dog loves it). I own break sticks. I vaccinate my own animals except for the rabies vaccines (as to many of you all). I have multiple dogs as do many of you all. Yet according to the HSUS, I'm a dogfighter, yet if I had all the same "paraphernalia" yet owned a different breed it would be nothing.

Boemy

As far a "cat mill" is concerned, it's also termed a jenny and is no different that a hot walker for horses.....in fact it's based upon the same principle and design. Instead the dog owner hangs a piece of hide or a toy for the dog to try and get and some owners don't use anything. I've never heard of one old time APBT owner using a live animal on a jenny.......that whole theory came about with the HSUS trying to get their 15 minutes of fame in the 1970's (as did the bait dog theory).

The post I was read was definitely talking about a cat mill using cats. :( They said eventually abandoned the cat mill because "it attracted too much attention." :(

Amstaffer

I've never heard of one old time APBT owner using a live animal on a jenny.......that whole theory came about with the HSUS trying to get their 15 minutes of fame in the 1970's (as did the bait dog theory)..
Well maybe the "Old Time" dog fighters never did it but it is a fact that in the cities (like my home of Milwaukee) they do use cats (duct taped paws) and small dogs as bait for dog fight training.

Miakoda

Well maybe the "Old Time" dog fighters never did it but it is a fact that in the cities (like my home of Milwaukee) they do use cats (duct taped paws) and small dogs as bait for dog fight training.
And it's a **** shame. :(

I wish the HSUS would quit printing their "How To Be a True Thug and Train Your Overweight Mutt To Fight" articles. That's where people are getting these cruel and insane ideas.

OK, I'll bite, I guess the article has me fooled too. Why would you need a break stick if you had a happy non-aggressive Buster Brown type pit bull?....

This does seem to somewhat contradict an argument that behavior is all environment and no genetics. But a break stick sounds like a good thing to have if your dog in contact with others.
Its kind of like asking "why would you need a leash for a greyhound that's never seen the track?" Its an insurance policy. :)

I don't think any Pit Bull person with sense would ever say that the breed's temperament is strictly environmental. You can't override hundreds of years of being bred to do combat with other animals by simply changing the backdrop. You've got to know what you're dealing with to be successful with the breed.

Members online

No members online now.