Triops! (Pics within!)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Undergravel filters don't work with sand. Plus, if they dig, they'd uncover the thing. I can't use them in half my tanks because of fish that would dig down to them.

Sponge filters would do the trick. You can get them cheaply or make your own.

You could also try to do a sponge covering the filter intake.
Good idea! I may try that, especially if I continue hatching triops in the future. Thanks for the advice. I never keep aquatic pets so this is all new to me.

CharlieDog, I haven't been able to physically see an egg sac yet. Some folks on the triops forum have some good shots. I'll try and get one when I spot an egg sac!

ETA: In the meantime, this DeviantArt photo collage shows a triop with an egg sac! http://www.deviantart.com/art/My-triops-74702373

The laid eggs don't hatch until they've been completely dried out, then re-hydrated. So I can wait until the triops die out, then sift the eggs when I clean out the tank. Then you can either wait for them to dry completely, or freeze them for a few days to simulate a winter. Then you can start all over again if you want!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
A spot of bad news from last night...

Either Lettuce or Tomato was cannibalized. :yikes:

Found them pretty mangled. That'll learn me to remember to feed the triops every morning, huh?

I've decided to rename the remaining L/T to Pickle. Pickle is now the largest, almost 2 inches. Pickle wants you to see its mandibles.

Bacon's been a bit stunted by the filter incident. Also, it's tail sticks out straight and it swims like a drunk. It's actually kinda funny. No photos of Bacon today, but Runt heard that you guys wanted egg sac photos.

Runt delivers.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I wonder how much my work would panic if I had triops on my desk...haha. They are really cool.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
NEAT! I had some of these when I was a kid but don't remember if it went well or not.

I kind of want some now, **** it.

Loving this thread, please keep posting pictures. I can't decide if I think they're cute or creepy but I love seeing them!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I totally want some. :p
NEAT! I had some of these when I was a kid but don't remember if it went well or not.

I kind of want some now, **** it.

Loving this thread, please keep posting pictures. I can't decide if I think they're cute or creepy but I love seeing them!
I want triops. I'm seriously tempted to go buy some now.
All of you need to buy some and share my nerdiness. I even got the BF all interested in them. He thought they were a silly idea at first.

I will say that the triops forum helped me a LOT with getting started. I didn't join it or anything because it's defunct and overridden with spam for kitchens (?) but there's still a wealth of info there if you poke around and use the search feature when needed. Here's a few notable threads you guys can look at.

http://thetriopsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=410

http://thetriopsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=52

http://thetriopsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=872

This site's also great, though not completed: http://mytriops.com/

Today's photos!

News of the day: Now that the egg sacs are visible to the naked eye and I've monitored for a few days, I've confirmed it: Bacon is male! All the laying behaviour I saw was simply instinctual. No egg sac = male. Proof! (You can also see his poor straight battered tail.)

Runt's been digging a lot of egg holes tonight. Deep holes. So deep that its carapace pops up, it's cute.

Bacon tried to help a little. Incredible that Bacon and Runt are essentially the same size now.

Pickle's loaded with eggs again tonight, too. Can't wait to harvest the eggs when all is said and done!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
More sad news: Pickle has been spending the morning slowly dying. It's just sort of on its back, wiggling its legs every so often.

It's oddly tough to watch. It's not like can really do much for it. I may just flush it with the next water change and put it out of its misery.

Poor thing. Runt and Bacon are doing well though.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The triops are so cool! I doubt I'll ever get any of my own, so it's really interesting to follow this thread. I'm excited to see how harvesting the eggs goes!

More sad news: Pickle has been spending the morning slowly dying. It's just sort of on its back, wiggling its legs every so often.

It's oddly tough to watch. It's not like can really do much for it. I may just flush it with the next water change and put it out of its misery.

Poor thing. Runt and Bacon are doing well though.
That's so sad :( Poor Pickle.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Dammit Allie why am I sad how dare you allow me to get attached to tiny little sea creatures with such short lifespans!!!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Dammit Allie why am I sad how dare you allow me to get attached to tiny little sea creatures with such short lifespans!!!
Tell me about it! Maybe my mistake was naming them. :rofl1:

Now Runt is sitting upside-down flitting its legs around like crazy. Maybe my water is messed up! I dunno. Ack!

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Awww, I've been following this and grown far too attached. Poor Pickle and Runt!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Runt's a goner, and Pickle too. Hell of a day in the triops world. :(

Bacon seems to be going strong, but now I've lost all my egg-layers. I mean, it's okay because they've already been laying for 4-5 days, but still!

Runt died inside the t-rex skull, so I haven't fished it out yet. That's going to be annoying.

Members online

No members online now.