Favorite breeders?

You know, I saw this posted when I was at work and it kinda stayed in my mind the whole day off and on. I couldn't reply but I kept shuffling through my head the breeders I was familiar with trying to come up with one and couldn't.

I guess the breeder I got Traveler and Didgie from would be my favorite because he's the one I went to. I love him, I love his dogs, I love the dogs he produces, I love his hands off but caring philosophy especially when it comes to the dogs he's sold. I adore the people that have gotten dogs from him, we've become a very close knit group. And above all I love the two dogs I have from him.

But, there are still things that I would love done a little differently, or changed or aren't my favorite. And honestly, I can't think of a single breeder I've ever looked at and said "This. This right here is exactly what I wanted." right down to the hobbiest photographer that I think all breeders should be required to be.

If I could piece together a breeder from different parts of some I like that would be amazing.

Toller_08

I also saw this thread the other day and meant to come back to it. It's really a difficult thread (for me) to respond to though. I don't like to discuss actual breeders publicly because I don't like them to feel they're being talked about behind their backs, and because breeders often are disagreed with and picked apart because everyone has a different opinion on what they feel is a good breeder. I just don't like when I see actual kennel names and breeder names posted on forums... sometimes it's all good, but often it's not and then the breeder's feelings are probably hurt, even if they happen upon the thread and conduct themselves well. I know my Dobes' breeder would probably not like to be discussed on an internet forum publicly, even if it was all good things. She'd rather be a part of the discussion, since it's her life and breeding program, than just the topic to be discussed by others.

So, for that reason, I don't feel comfortable stating who my favourite breeders are or even where I got my dogs from unless you ask me privately because you're genuinely interested. But there are definitely a handful of toller breeders out there that I really, really like and feel that they are doing right by the breed in a multitude of ways. They truly care about not only their dogs, but their breed as a whole. Their dogs are very versatile, maintain a lot of natural work ethic and drive to do what they were intended for but are also able to jump to and from a plethora of other activities and be great pets on top of that. Their dogs' temperaments seem the epitome of what the breed is supposed to be. The amount of health testing they do is incredible. They cover the basics and then some. Even these breeders that I am picturing aren't perfect in every way for me, but nobody is. I choose based on as close to perfect for me as I can, because they do come pretty close. And the things I might not totally agree with would just be nitpicking, because everything else they do is above and beyond for the breed IMO.

I can't comment on Doberman breeders fairly because I honestly don't know enough of them or know enough about a lot of them to have a favourite. I know who I don't like, but I won't really know who I'd consider a favourite unless I intended on looking into another Doberman way in the far future and got to know more about different breeders.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
In my breed, it's hard, because honestly - no one health tests, and most people's dogs are kenneled, even for whelping... (no lie on the health testing - my goal is to have Rage be the FIRST plott on the OFA list...).

That said, I've been happy with my dogs... we didn't know much when we got Eerie, and then bought her mother, Liz. I've been TERRIBLY happy with Liz, but less so with communication/my relationship (which is mostly nonexistent) with her breeder. So it's a downer, but whatever. Liz was well cared for and reasonably socialized when I bought her at 4 years. She was obedient about being crated & in the show ring, and that was enough for me to work with. I DID feel mislead because I was told she "had been out a few times & acted good" as far as hunting goes, and I have a dog that is TERRIFIED of raccoons. Temperamentally, I couldn't have asked for a more sound, sweet, people-loving dog.

I am THRILLED with Rage's breeder, and am very good friends with the family - we keep in touch, I went to their mom's wedding, etc. I have NEVER felt that anything was withheld regarding the dogs, and I'm just overall thrilled that they think I'm a wonderful person to be entrusted with their dogs, regardless of whether or not I can find a place to hunt them out here :) they're good, honest people & I'm pleased to say I know them/got my dog from them.

Future dogs, if I want another hunting-type, I'll DEFINITELY go back to the Haneys in Ohio (where I got Rage) and if I want a more laid-back Liz-type, I'd probably go through SunCrest plotts in NC - they do a fabulous job & have some world-class show dogs, plus one of their foundation females is Liz's full sister. Becky & I have compared notes, and Liz & Zena are pretty similar - I think I'd be quite happy with a descendant.

BostonBanker

What Toller said. I can, off the top of my head, think of two breeders I know personally that I admire a huge amount. I wouldn't dare post them here, partially because I think it would be weird for them to come across it, and partially because people here (probably everywhere) love to try and rip breeders apart. Both of the breeders I'm thinking of would probably welcome a discussion about their decisions and philosophies, but not so much on a forum where they aren't here to discuss it themselves.

Lyzelle

I can think of a few breeders I adore, but a few of them don't breed anymore, and all of them are in breeds I'm no longer part of. But they health test, breed for proper temperament and conformation. In a breed where overweight is the norm, they keep their dogs slim, in shape, and within size standard. Many have made records in the breed, some have bred dogs who are record keepers. And, at the end of the day, if you were to walk in their homes, you'd see all these giant dogs just lounging around on the couches like the honest oafs they are. It's something I can agree wholeheartedly with, and would love to support. If only I was still in that particular breed.

But, now I've entered the working/sport dog side of things and there's so much more to consider when it comes to temperament. There's drive, work ethic, honesty, personality. Conformation isn't just a standard, it's directly relevant to their efficiency at the job they perform. Health is of the upmost importance. Color is a factor because it might cause health issues. There's usually conformation/working splits in these breeds. It's so much more complicated, so much more to consider, and I haven't found a breeder yet that I'm happy with.

Pops2

In my breed, it's hard, because honestly - no one health tests, and most people's dogs are kenneled, even for whelping... (no lie on the health testing - my goal is to have Rage be the FIRST plott on the OFA list...).
that's because good breeders WORK the crap out of their dog and run them year round. ideally the dogs are running 30+ miles a week. that amount of running will ID bad joints before a dog is finished and breed worthy. because the old timers culled hard, dysplaysia of any kind is pretty much nonexistant in stags, coldblood greys & working lines of foxhound and only marginally more common in hard hunted lines of tree hound & curs. the need to x-ray for it is about like the need to check APBTs for von wilbrands.

That said, I've been happy with my dogs... we didn't know much when we got Eerie, and then bought her mother, Liz. I've been TERRIBLY happy with Liz, but less so with communication/my relationship (which is mostly nonexistent) with her breeder. So it's a downer, but whatever. Liz was well cared for and reasonably socialized when I bought her at 4 years. She was obedient about being crated & in the show ring, and that was enough for me to work with. I DID feel mislead because I was told she "had been out a few times & acted good" as far as hunting goes, and I have a dog that is TERRIFIED of raccoons. Temperamentally, I couldn't have asked for a more sound, sweet, people-loving dog.
when the question is asked, don't hesitate to name & shame. the breeders & dog men I trust don't hesitate to call a cull a cull. Jay in Blackstock SC flat out told me my Jack dog stood a good chance of killing a black guy one day. he also told me Jack was lazy about finding & slow to start on the hogs. He was 100% right (well Jack never killed anyone, but not for lack of trying as every military housing maintenance guy that ever came to our house could tell you).

I am THRILLED with Rage's breeder, and am very good friends with the family - we keep in touch, I went to their mom's wedding, etc. I have NEVER felt that anything was withheld regarding the dogs, and I'm just overall thrilled that they think I'm a wonderful person to be entrusted with their dogs, regardless of whether or not I can find a place to hunt them out here :) they're good, honest people & I'm pleased to say I know them/got my dog from them.
never hesitate to name a good breeder too & WHY you like them. the best breeders don't advertise because their reputation is good enough to keep their programs going w/o it.

Future dogs, if I want another hunting-type, I'll DEFINITELY go back to the Haneys in Ohio (where I got Rage) and if I want a more laid-back Liz-type, I'd probably go through SunCrest plotts in NC - they do a fabulous job & have some world-class show dogs, plus one of their foundation females is Liz's full sister. Becky & I have compared notes, and Liz & Zena are pretty similar - I think I'd be quite happy with a descendant.
but how do the show dogs hunt? the insinuation is that they don't.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I love Contact Point Border Collies. They produce dogs who dominate in herding and dog sports, and could probably get their show championship if you're into that. Most importantly their dogs are incredibly stable, well-rounded, and have the look that I love. I've met many CP dogs, all of which were very outgoing and sweet. In addition to some amazing colors on their dogs. I'm very picky about BCs after meeting so many that are nutjobs! :) I also love a local breeder, Nola Jones. She's a herding/agility instructor with 8 Border Collies and occasional litters. I've met several dogs that she has produced, and they are the nicest, most sane but at the same time intelligent Border Collies I know.

I love True Haus German Shepherds. They have the most gorgeous working dogs who do everything from personal protection, to police work, to search and rescue, to therapy work/service dog work, to obedience and agility, and they're even pretty enough to show (even though I doubt they do so well against the hock-walkers)!!! This breeder trains all breeds of dogs in obedience and schutzhund, and is so supportive of their puppy owners. They offer refunds of up to 100% on puppies that get titled in sports. That's pretty awesome. I love that they don't ONLY breed for intensity and protection drive, they breed for stable nerves and quality family dogs who can do anything. They also have the most amazing black sable stud, who I plan to get a mini me of soon! I've heard that sables tend to be the best GSDs, as black/tan was so prefered, in order to not get culled a sable would have to be a REALLY exceptional working dog.

Coedwig is my favorite Cardigan breeder, overall. EVERY single one of my favorite Cardigans is either a Coedwig dog or has many in their lineage. I feel that they've done so much for the breed and I completely agree with their ethics. I love White Hart as a local breeder. They are up and coming and have a small kennel, but their dogs are ideal to me, they put temperament testing, obedience and herding high in their priorities and I love their training philosophy.

Last edited:

FG167

I love von der Daelenberghutte/van het Basjes Huis GSDs. Or "Rinus puppies" as we call them. He has been a fabulous breeder to work with. I know/have seen several of the dogs and also own one myself. The pricing is fair, including import fees and he is honest about what he has/is producing. The dogs are healthy, work hard, have great drive and are *happy*. Rinus breeds happy, sweet but serious workers. I feel like a lot of GSD breeders I know take it to the extreme one way or the other and the end result pup is not one I would want to do everything with. Kastle is a dog that I take *everywhere* and do *everything* with. He does every sport I want (agility, lure coursing, dock jumping, flyball, IPO, herding...) and also shows in conformation. He can visit with my family and chill or be out for a hike and go all day. I love this dog and will be getting my GSDs from Rinus in the future.

Picklepaige

I love True Haus German Shepherds. They have the most gorgeous working dogs who do everything from personal protection, to police work, to search and rescue, to therapy work/service dog work, to obedience and agility, and they're even pretty enough to show (even though I doubt they do so well against the hock-walkers)!!! This breeder trains all breeds of dogs in obedience and schutzhund, and is so supportive of their puppy owners. They offer refunds of up to 100% on puppies that get titled in sports. That's pretty awesome. I love that they don't ONLY breed for intensity and protection drive, they breed for stable nerves and quality family dogs who can do anything. They also have the most amazing black sable stud, who I plan to get a mini me of soon! I've heard that sables tend to be the best GSDs, as black/tan was so prefered, in order to not get culled a sable would have to be a REALLY exceptional working dog.
Oooh...I've been looking for the past couple YEARS for the breeder I want to get my GSD from...I think I just found it :eek:

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
that's because good breeders WORK the crap out of their dog and run them year round. ideally the dogs are running 30+ miles a week. that amount of running will ID bad joints before a dog is finished and breed worthy. because the old timers culled hard, dysplaysia of any kind is pretty much nonexistant in stags, coldblood greys & working lines of foxhound and only marginally more common in hard hunted lines of tree hound & curs. the need to x-ray for it is about like the need to check APBTs for von wilbrands.
See, I don't necessarily trust that... I think a dog that's worked that hard & is as muscular as they can be, and as gritty as a Plott SHOULD be, would probably just work through it....

never hesitate to name a good breeder too & WHY you like them. the best breeders don't advertise because their reputation is good enough to keep their programs going w/o it.
I LOVE KELLIE & DANIELLE HANEY, AND REX MORGAN, TOO! lol

Because they're honest, good people... Kellie & Danielle have great dogs that can win hunts, and Kellie's owned Dawn since she was like 14 and made her a grand nite, grand show, and put her #1 on the reproducer's list by making GOOD crosses that produced COONDOGS. Rex has really helped their breeding program, and I admire his (sometimes painful ;) ) honesty & dedication to the breed - a sub-par dog will not be at his house for long.

but how do the show dogs hunt? the insinuation is that they don't.
Didn't mean to insinuate it - one of their foundation sires is a NiteCh, and I know they hunted his son up until they realized how valuable he was as a show dog - at that point, as Becky said, they just couldn't risk it. I know her husband still hunts some of their dogs... I didn't mean to insinuate they don't hunt at all, but you won't see them in the winner's circle at nite hunts. Just not their "thing"... ergo, I *assume* it helps to produce a calmer hound... I wouldn't mind having a calm, hunting dog - Eer was pretty well settled any time there wasn't a coon around.

Red Chrome

GSDs-Von Den Wannaer Hohen, Von Grunheide,SxhraderhausK9 and of course my boys breeder. For me and GSDs it's a line thing.

Malinois-Dantero

Dobermann-Feverhaus and Incredible Dobermans

Pops2

See, I don't necessarily trust that... I think a dog that's worked that hard & is as muscular as they can be, and as gritty as a Plott SHOULD be, would probably just work through it...
there is some truth to that but when you're walking dogs out back to the truck you'll see the effects of hard running. wild canines don't RUN alot when they hunt maybe 10 miles a week. so if you hunt a dog hard enough to run 30+ miles a week AND they're dysplastic it'll show by age 3. coincidentally most of the best hunting breeders (woods hunters not competition) tend to wait until 3 or 4 to breed. a dog that produces a LOT & survives that long on bear & boar is in the best 10%. 30 miles a week is the minimum for hard hunting dogs. i knof of many that do that daily 4 or 6 days a week in season & a couple days a week in the off season. i know of hog doggers whose dogs put in 20-30 miles a day 3-5 days a week year round. dogs doing that can only gut it out so long before it shows no matter what.

Because they're honest, good people... Kellie & Danielle have great dogs that can win hunts, and Kellie's owned Dawn since she was like 14 and made her a grand nite, grand show, and put her #1 on the reproducer's list by making GOOD crosses that produced COONDOGS. Rex has really helped their breeding program, and I admire his (sometimes painful ;) ) honesty & dedication to the breed - a sub-par dog will not be at his house for long..
that is the way all working breeders are (at least as far as breeding stock goes). unfortunately, a lot of show stock in alot of breeds started from sub par workers.

Didn't mean to insinuate it - one of their foundation sires is a NiteCh, and I know they hunted his son up until they realized how valuable he was as a show dog - at that point, as Becky said, they just couldn't risk it. I know her husband still hunts some of their dogs... I didn't mean to insinuate they don't hunt at all, but you won't see them in the winner's circle at nite hunts. Just not their "thing"... ergo, I *assume* it helps to produce a calmer hound... I wouldn't mind having a calm, hunting dog - Eer was pretty well settled any time there wasn't a coon around.
glad to hear that. but as a working snob, i could never see buying from them myself. i just can't be comfortable w/ a breeder whose primary focus is ribbons (at least w/ most breeds i'm likely to buy).

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
glad to hear that. but as a working snob, i could never see buying from them myself. i just can't be comfortable w/ a breeder whose primary focus is ribbons (at least w/ most breeds i'm likely to buy).
totally get where you're coming from... I just meant if I want another lazy housedog, I'd be perfectly happy with a lower key, very dark dog I could neuter & make a housepet if I can't find anywhere to hunt... unfortunately I'm not finding the coonhunting in SoCal quite as abundant as it was in PA :(

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
In BCs I like Rosmarinus (I am dying to get a dog from them someday), Gladwyn, Littlethorn, Lydeardlea, Whenway (although the haven't bred in a long time), Bron Yr Aur, Of Green Borderline, Jijin.. I think that's pretty much my list. Lol.

I like them all for the same reason- they breed true to type (in all aspects).

Pops2

totally get where you're coming from... I just meant if I want another lazy housedog, I'd be perfectly happy with a lower key, very dark dog I could neuter & make a housepet if I can't find anywhere to hunt... unfortunately I'm not finding the coonhunting in SoCal quite as abundant as it was in PA :(
try getting them on grey fox. they'll run the legs off a dog & then tree at the end of it.

monkeys23

Malinois - Dantero.

GSD - I keep going back to looking at Schraderhaus dogs. I'd like to meet some in person at some point in time!
Though i have to say the sporty 22 month old male named Buddy that von Grunheide has for sale currently is gorgeous and sounds like a hell of a fun starter sport dog...

Members online