Stupid cat :(

elegy

overdogged
Juju my tortie cat ate Luce's heart pill out of her kibble last night while I was preparing Steve's food. I caught her, got half of it back from her, called the emergency clinic and they said to make her puke. So I gave her Peroxide, waited, no puke. Gave her more Peroxide, bounced her around, and she puked. I didn't see the pill but she had chewed it up, and it was brown. Brown pill, brown kibble. But there were potato chips in her puke, which she must have gotten into my trashcan to eat when I wasn't home, so I was pretty comfortable that her stomach was empty.

Last night she wanted nothing to do with me, but she did come to bed for a little bit.

This morning I woke up to find vomit all over the kitchen some of it with bright red blood in it. She didn't show up for breakfast. She's usually my kitty alarm clock.

I really don't want to take her to the e-clinic. I'm so hesitant to bother my bosses on the weekend. Why must this stuff always ALWAYS happen on weekends?

For now I'm just going to give her time and offer her some babyfood later on in the day. The heart pill wouldn't cause vomiting, so I'm thinking it's from all the peroxide and trauma to her tums. Poor girlie. She's the most aggravating, annoying, frustrating cat on the planet, but I don't want her to be sick :(

elegy

overdogged
She still won't eat but when I crawled back out of bed for the second time, she's not hiding anymore. She's planted in one of her favorite spots in the livingroom, so I take that as a good sign.

Poor girlie.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Aww, poor Juju. Hoping she feels tons better soon. <3
(((((HUGS)))))

elegy

overdogged
I offered her some chicken babyfood and she sniffed it and then puked more :(

I feel terrible for her. Maybe if I'd been more patient, the first dose of peroxide would have worked, but instead I gave her the second dose. If I hadn't done that, maybe she wouldn't be so sick :(

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
El, please don't beat yourself up. You were trying to help her. Many would probably have done the same thing if we were in your panicked position.
More (((((HUGS))))) and (((((FEELBETTERSOONKITTYVIBES)))))

elegy

overdogged
El, please don't beat yourself up. You were trying to help her. Many would probably have done the same thing if we were in your panicked position.
More (((((HUGS))))) and (((((FEELBETTERSOONKITTYVIBES)))))
The pill had to come out, I just feel awful that she feels so awful. I found something online that said that peroxide isn't recommended in cats because it causes hemorrhagic gastritis in 25% of cats. Blech.

I wish they'd have mentioned that on the phone when I talked to the e-clinic, but geez, how often do you have to make cats puke? Usually the struggle is to get the pills *into* cats, not back out of them!

Dekka

Just try me..
ohh poor thing. I wonder if she will have learnt her lesson that taking drugs is bad (mmk?)

Barb04

Super Moderator
After reading the info I found below, I would take the cat to the vet to be checked out:

Generally, cats are only given hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting if they have eaten something poisonous. If this is the reason you gave it to your cat, you need to take your cat to a veterinarian right away. The hydrogen peroxide may have gotten the cat to vomit and therefore taken care of any immediate danger, but there could still be some poison in the cat's system, or even other damage depending on what it ate. Also, hydrogen peroxide is given to cats in very small amounts. You would need to put it in a lot of water to be safe for your pet. If you accidentally gave your cat too much, this could be just as dangerous as poison. Hydrogen peroxide is highly corrosive, and can cause damage to membranes in an animal's stomach, resulting in internal bleeding. It can also cause blistering, stomach pain, diarrhea, and further vomiting. If this is the case, your cat still needs taken to a veterinarian promptly.

To summarize, if your cat is still showing symptoms of any kind after this, it needs to be taken to a veterinarian. This should be done any time a cat ingests something toxic, if that is why you gave it the hydrogen peroxide. If it is not the reason, and your cat is still showing symptoms, it is most likely caused by the hydrogen peroxide itself. Either situation is dangerous for your cat, and it needs immediate care.

elegy

overdogged
I took her into work yesterday and she got Subq fluids and a shot of Cerenia to stop the vomiting. She is feeling much better today. No more vomiting and she's eating, though not normally yet. She's feeling well enough to be trying to steal my lunch.

We sent out a full CBC/chem profile/T4 because she lost another pound since July. She was borderline hyperthyroid then but couldn't tolerate the oral medication. She's slightly higher (3.86 --> 4.11, high end of normal is 3.9) so we're going to try the transdermal gel that we have compounded. I've seen it work for some cats, not at all for others.

My other cat had radioiodine treatment for his hyperthyroidism and it worked brilliantly. I'd like to get Jewel in for that, but I don't know when it'll be able to happen. I'd have to take off work to take her in (it's like an hour and a half away without traffic) plus it's $1000 and she has to live in my bathroom for three weeks afterward or something (maybe it's only two- it's a long time either way) because she'll be radioactive. But it WORKS and it's once and done and you don't have to mess around with twice-daily medication.

Members online

No members online now.