New pets.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
^^She said the dogs are kept out of that room a few pages back.

I do miss my rats, those two are adorable!

Picklepaige

They're are adorable!

On the subject of cages, as I'd rather not start a new thread just for this, does my rattie cage look ok sizewise? I just bought it, and I can't tell if it is the same size as Dekka's cage or smaller. (water bottle and Brutus the rat for comparison)

Dekka

Just try me..
That looks almost identical! How tall is it? Mine was 3 feet before I cut it down a little (so it could fit on my dresser) Its now 2 foot 8 inches or so. I love the little hammock.. does he use it? Does it stay clean?

Dekka

Just try me..
they wont die will they? like from the terriers
I have two pet rats they are my bubs
No. I don't let the terriers hurt them. They are on top of a very high dresser in my room. (the dogs don't have free access to my room. They are only up there if I am. And even if a JRT managed to hang off the cage they can't pull it off due to the angle of my ceiling! :D

Dekka stared at them lots yesterday. Cider barked at them a few times. I won't let Snip (the dog) up there till they are settled because he will jump and bark. But I find if you let the rats gradually get used to seeing the dogs and hearing a few barks they get very unconcerned with it.

The only issue we had is the rats have had a couple of fights :( and this DOES interest the dogs greatly.

mrose_s

BusterLove
God I love rats. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of boys in a couple of months. cannot wait. Last time I was in a pet store I went over to talk to the rats, they are so cute. The one big boy they had (an agouti, my favourite) came over for some scritches and attention.

Picklepaige

Mine is 30" x 18" x 36". So they're the same height (before you cut yours down, of course.)

And he adores his hammock! Sleeps in it every night. I don't know if you can see, but he even dragged his blanket into it (it used to be on the bottom of the top floor so he wouldn't have to walk on the wire.) I've had it for six months, and it has never needing cleaning, aside from dumping out the food he puts in it.

And as for the fighting, before my previous male died, he would fight with Brutus all the time, especially after switching cages. As long as no blood is drawn, they're fine. Just little dominance fights males have from time to time.

Cages much be very different in Canada! (Do they sell powder coated? Cause trust me, the galvanized WILL start to smell like urine, since it soaks into the galvanized wire!).

What cuties! My rats are in our office, and whenever my mom's dogs come through they like to bark at the rats. My rats have gotten very used to it lol. I can't put their cage up high cause its a 5 foot tall cage.). But they don't seem to mind the barking at all anymore.

grab01

I'm on a boat..
Aw, lovely ratties! They look like my late Vic and Sal (who were brothers)

The cage is lovely as well:) It's so hard to find a suitable cage..I had to order one online to find one big enough.

I do miss having rats.

Dekka

Just try me..
And as for the fighting, before my previous male died, he would fight with Brutus all the time, especially after switching cages. As long as no blood is drawn, they're fine. Just little dominance fights males have from time to time.
They DID draw blood.. a fair bit of it! But then they were snuggled up on their little blankie :rolleyes: They seem to be fine today.

You can get the same cages for the most part in Can that you do in the US. I have had powder coated ones. This one was used and it doesn't smell.

Members online

No members online now.