Sawyer's story

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Smkie said she wanted to see a thread about Sawyer and I can't pass up a chance to talk about him and plug the rescue! I put links up in the rescue sticky.

Sawyer came to me through the KC branch of ARPH, in a series of very fortunate events. A bit of backstory: I was going to graduate college in a few days, and I wanted to start looking for a dog to keep me company when I moved back home with my parents. Most everyone I know is still finishing their degrees in various other cities and I needed something to help keep me occupied. The week of graduation, I filled out an ARPH application, thinking that I would at least have it on file if and when the perfect dog came around.
Within two days Pam the local rep. had emailed me back asking if I would consider a dog that was in a shelter down south of me and sent me the Petfinder link. I clicked and wasn't terribly impressed with what I saw, but I called the shelter the next day anyway just to talk to someone about "Moon". They informed me that he was no longer at the shelter, which concerned me. I didn't know if it was a kill shelter or not. So I wrote Pam back and she wrote back that both Moon and his sister were now in the safety of the ARPH program. She also enclosed the pictures that were to be put on the site when Moon was ready to be listed (he had a case of intestinal worms).

The picture made up my mind. This was the dog I wanted. His face was just too adorable, plus he had just about the *exact* markings I pictured in my head when I thought about the Aussie I wanted. Back and forth went the emails, each of us getting more information with each furious typing. Meanwhile, my boy-ancé was plotting a surprise trip to the Pet Expo. Unbeknownst to any of us involved, ARPH was going to have a table, and I was going to be walking around. In another stroke of fate, Pam had arranged for Moon, now named Poncho, to be there as well that day. Again, none of us knew the other was going to be there. Well, to make the rest of this story shorter, I met Poncho, realized just how fantastically well-behaved he was for having been a stray and told Pam "I want him!" She said I had to wait about a week, just until his worms were cleared and he had a chance to be groomed. So from start to finish, Poncho, now named Sawyer, was "in the system" for only about a week and half, and I only had to wait the same amount of time.

I believe that I was meant to have this dog. There were just too many coincidences for it to be anything else.

By the way, Sawyer's sister Veeva is still with ARPH. She needs a less active home because of shallow hip sockets. Take a look! She's beautiful and if her personality is anything like her brother's, then a better Aussie would be hard to find.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i think i should come up with a t-shirt design that says i found my mama/or papa on petfinder.com something along those lines. I am so happy you found Sawyer this way. I know when i saw Vic's pic that he was for me..i just knew it one hundred percent. Sawyer is a beautiful dog with elegant lines and graceful moves. You can tell how smart he is and i have enjoyed watching the two of you together at the lake. You are working so well with him and he is becoming quite the water dog! Thanks for sharing his story ..i hope it will inspire others to go to petfinder first before they consider breeders. There are so many classy, funny, gorgous dogs there that need a new home immediantly. If Veeva is half the dog sawyer is she would make somebody a fabulous companion. I wish her luck!

Barb04

Super Moderator
That was a great story. I'm glad you both found each other to love.

Members online