Catching a frisbee?

That seems to be a very cool trick and great excercise for your dog. Could you give me some pointers on how to teach the dogs to catch it, and what are the best frisbee types for them?

I have a soft frisbee for Jake. I chose that over a regular one because I wasn't keen on baby-teeth meeting hard plastic.

As for teaching them, once your pupp can fetch, you'll find if you don't throw the frisbee too far ahead of your dog, he'll automatically try to catch it (or at least that's what Jake does). On the rare occaision when Jake actually catches the frisbee, I give him praise and treats. If it's a good attempt, I give him praise and treats - it encourages his effort.

Andrew

I agree that the soft cloth kind are the best. Hard plastic can erode teeth pretty quickly.

Whenever you try to teach a dog to fetch something, I find it's best to get them playing with it while you're holding it. Get them really worked up over the toy, then quickly toss it. Praise them when they get it, then clap your hands and move backwards or bend over to encourage them to bring it to you. Don't play tug if it's not something you want to do every time! If he won't give it up, pretend you don't care and walk away. Eventually he'll drop it. Put him on a sit/stay, pick up the toy, and start over. Once you've got him fetching it, it's just a little more practice time to catching it out of the air. Try to throw it low (across his natural field of vision) and slightly to one side. He should have to turn to catch it. This will stimulate his chasing instinct and keep you from accidentally bonking the frisbee off his head!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Nylabone has a soft rubber frisbee that had a molded bone in the design on top that allows the dog to pick it up even on a very flat surface..it is a softer rubber type and easy to both trow and catch. Old Navy also has a dog's frisbee ..i have both and can highly recommend that they are worth the expense. I was lucky and found both, brand new, at my thrift store and didn't pay more than a dollar for each. i also found a ball that holds treats inside of it and has a speaker where you can record a message so that when the dog bumps it, your voice can be heard. Found it at the thrift store too in a child's toy bin.
forgot to add, neither of these soft frisbees are good in water, almost lost one that way.

Members online

No members online now.