Consisdering rescue dog#2 (greyhound), would foster first...

bonster

Disappointed :(
Having settled Bonnie pretty much I'm wondering how she'd be with a second, older dog. I'd love to rescue a retired greyhound, they are so magnificent yet hard to rehome, and there is an appeal from a local shelter at the moment.

On the plus side, although a mix Bonnie is that-way blooded (Spanish sighthound with GSD) and has many of the typical traits - athletic yet very homely (the sighthound seems the dominant side aside mainly from her coloring)... and I think she'd love the company and a full-time playmate - but is quite spoiled and does get a lot of attention. I'm usually at home almost all of the time and have the space and ample time for training, walks etc. and am pretty sure I know what I'm letting myself in for with this kind of dog.

My concern though would be Bonnie getting upset what with her having been an only dog for over a year since her rescue (she's two-and-half now).... and any competition issues between them (although I don't think this is usually a problem with this kind of dog so much).... in fact I wonder how the "pecking order" would work out with an older 'newbie'?

Anyone done it - or had experience of a similar situation?? I think the logical think is to try fostering first (after checking out that they get along, introduction on neutral territory etc.) and see how it goes.... but any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated...

Brattina88

I foster dogs until they are ready for a permanent home, and making sure the new dog gets along with my dogs that live with me permanent is always top priority. How does Bonnie get along with other dogs she meets and does not know? If introduced well, odds are there won't be much of a problem unless either dog is very dominant.

How old are you planning on getting? It's natural for the first dog to fall into the top dog rank. An older dog would probably see that Bonnie is top dog and be fine with being lower in position. A younger, more energetic and/or strong dog might see the possibility of rising up the social ladder and take the opportunity.

Feeding the first dog first, petting her first, ect will reassure her position and make it clearer to the new dog. Its sometimes hard for new owners to let the first dog be very pushy and force its way to you to be petted first. It's normal for the first couple of weeks to be a little shaky until the dogs are used to each other and your routine.

There are a lot of great sites on alphas, ranking, and packs that'll give you some insight on introducing a new dog. Its likely there isn't going to be any problems.

As far as the fostering goes, I'd say go ahead and try it if that's what you want. Lots of shelters have a foster-to-adopt program for families that have children and/or other dogs/pets, and for a good reason.

I hope this helps a little, let us know what you decide.

[and kudos to you for rescuing!]

bonster

Disappointed :(
Thanks for that Brattina

Here's an article from Spring last year about the problem, which explains a little about the dogs also.

http://www.thecoastalpress.com/0502/lifestyle5.php

I guess rescues could be anything from 3-4 years old to seniors. Bonnie seems to get on fine with other dogs if introduced well and would really appreciate an athletic playmate to go running with I'm sure!

As for fostering first, I meant trying it first with the chosen dog (i.e. fostering-to-adopt) - cleary its unfair on both animals if Bonnie doesn't take to it - but assuming it worked out I could offer a permanent home :)

filarotten

Fila the love
Bonster, that sounds like a wonderful idea. From what I hear greyhounds are actually great pets. I bet Bonnie will have a blast with a new brother or sister.
Can Bonnie meet the other dog first? Neutral territory, a place to sniff and check each other out before bringing it home.
I can't believe the way people throw away greyhounds. Why they think they are disposable is beyond me. So sad.

I think you've got things figured out pretty well, Bonster, and I'll bet Lady Bonnie would really enjoy an athletic speedster for a playmate . . .

Brattina knows her stuff :)

Members online

No members online now.