House breaking frustrations!!!

Verminator

Squirrel Chaser
I just got a new pup (8 weeks old) on Sunday and although early, the house breaking is not going well. A few things concern me and I want to nip them in the bud ASAP if possible. For one, the dog very seldomly will go when we are outside. I will take her outside for 10 minutes and she won't go but as soon as we get back in the house, she will go on the floor almost immediately. When she pees in the house she will always pee on the newspaper but she won't poop on it. I would prefer that she just do it when we are outside and not on the newspaper or in the house. The few times that she has gone outside I have immediately given her tons of praise and a treat. It doesn't seem to be working. I take her out every 15-30 minutes.

Any advice? Anything I could do or not do to help myself out here. Please help.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I think you are not sending a clear enough signal for your dog. She might not quite understand what is expected of her because you take her outside too often when she doesn't need to go.

First of all I would stop offering her paper inside. Don't give her a choice of doing her business indoors or outdoors if you eventually want her to relieve herself outside only.

Second, check out this post for establishing routine and keeping a journal:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49374&postcount=6

Third, once you have established the times when she usually has to eliminate by keeping a journal, if she doesn't "go" when you take her outside, bring her inside and crate her for 20-30 minutes, then try again. When you do let her out, don't give her a chance to relieve herself in the house, carry her if you have to. I recommend crating instead of tieing her leash to your waist or putting her in a playpen because neither will give you as much direct control and she can still have an accident.

Once you know when she has to go, things will become a lot easier. When my Quigley was a 3 month old pup, our basic timeframe was going outside every hour on the hour, immediately after naps and play sessions and shortly after meals or drinking a lot of water. If your pup is 8 weeks old, you might need to shorten intervals to every 45 minutes or so.

Whenever she did do her business outside, it's safe to offer her a bit more freesom indoors since it's unlikely that she'll have an accident. If you get suspicious again that she coud have to pee or poop soon, pop her int he crate again for a little while.

You'll be surprised how well this works if you follow all the details. :)

bubbatd

Agree with Mordy, as usual > you might want to put some paper in an area outside and see what happens.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Good information provided by Mordy, and believe it or not it does eventually get better.

Although, what I thought was major progress for Bailey turned into 2 accidents this past Saturday. I wasn't in charge of watching him, I was studying in the office, and my Mother was over helping to watch him. He went once on the tile and while she was cleaning it up, went again on the carpet. But, thankfully I will have this studying past me next Tuesday and I can be back in control of him. :D

stardance

Iv'e been using those puppy pads for training my pup since he was 6wks. I watched him like a hawk at first. whenever he would start to squat I would put him on the puppy pad and he'd do his business. Then after wards I'd praise him & pet him saying "good job" ect. it worked great. but, sometimes he'll get lazy and not want to walk clear across the room to potty. So, I introduced him to small treats after every puppy pad use. he gets really excited about that. he understands the concept of puppy pad =treats. but ever so often he gets lazy. but i just keep doing what i do and hes getting better & better.

Members online