Frustrating Rescue

Locke

Recently I've become really frustrated with a rescue that continually places dogs only to have them returned a few weeks later. I understand that it doesn't always work out, but one dog in particular was adopted out 2 or 3 times in a matter of weeks, and returned for the same reasons. It's just not fair to the dog and the rescue seems to be oblivious to their part in the failure of the adoption. People who are members of the rescue's facebook page lay blame on the adopters for not giving the dogs a chance, but if a dog has a known fear of men, why would you adopt the dog out to a family with an adult man, not once, but TWICE?

I really wanted to foster and eventually adopt from this rescue, but now I'm having second thoughts. Their adoption application is very thorough and they ask for references and perform home visits, but they seem to totally miss the boat when it comes to placing dogs.

I'm so conflicted...I want to say something, but don't want to jeopardize my chance of adopting from them in the near future.

What would you do?

Kilter

Personally, I'd say something to them, and post it on their facebook page too. Yes, they'll likely take it down but sheesh, think before you adopt dogs out!!!!

Just in case you're wondering, there are lots, and lots, and lots of rescues out there. Don't be fooled into thinking you have to be nice to them. If it's a fair assessment that they're not thinking, then maybe someone needs to point it out.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Well, there are not exactly a lot of man-less homes out there. Most of the people that come to adopt are typical familes - mom, dad, and kids who want a family dog. Likely the rescue is not working with the dog as they should be and not making sure the adopters know what they are getting into as they should be. But it is really difficult to find a home without a man in it. I wonder if the rescue is marketing the dog as needing such a home at all?

It is worth noting that I have known dogs who hated men who found homes with men that they stayed in because the men were willing to give the dogs all the time they needed to acclimate and weren't the "dominate" types.

If the dog is OK but is just problematic with men - perhaps mark it's file with "CANNOT be adopted to a man/a household with men due to fear issues"?

Equally lots of single women, mothers etc are looking for dogs as well. There was a standard Eskie that had a similar issue and his profile on petfinder and the adoption website clearly stated "Sorry, can't be adopted by men or a household with a man in it" or something to that effect. It's not scandalous or discrimination - it's just a fact for the dog's and everyone else concerned's safety.

If the dog is extremely DA/reactive towards even the sight of a man - this is another case; you can't turn a corner without running into or passing by equal amounts of either gendered people in any situation - then I would say it's a behavioral issue and the dog should be held back at a long term fosters while working on it till the issue isn't of concern anymore/it is under enough control for him to go to a supportive home who is fully aware and capable of helping it through the issue(s).

Kilter

I think the rescue, if they're pushing the dog back out into new homes that fast, is being irresponsible and unfair to everyone. I'm sure a home with a man living in it, if the dog isn't totally freaked out, would work, they'd have to explain to the man that he has to do the ignore the dog thing for a few months and take the role of the food source/walker whenever possible. Having the dog bounced in and out of homes that much isn't helping the dog at all.

A friend of mine has had a foster for almost a year now, got him as a young puppy, but he's got fear issues and won't be adopted till he's worked past them and the right home comes along.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
If the dog is extremely DA/reactive towards even the sight of a man
LOL if the dog is dog aggressive at the sight of a man? :rofl1: Sorry I assume that's a typo, it just made me lol. Picturing a dog who latches on to the nearest dog at the sight of a human man.

Members online

No members online now.