A high rise puppy. Advice please.

I live in a 5th floor flat in Korea and my boyfriend and I want to have a puppy. We had an English cocker spaniel but had to return him because I broke my foot and couldn't look after him. He wasn't the best kind of dog for a flat really because he was too big and energetic. Well the energetic part would've been ok if he'd been as big as a mouse but that's besides the point!

Anyway, we'd like advice on getting the right breed in the future. Which dogs do you think are most suitable for high rise city living? Most Koreans have maltese and tshi zus (spelling?) My boyfriend isn't keen on tshi zus because he prefers dogs with longer faces. He likes young yorkshire terriers but doesn't like the way their hair grows long when they grow up. Over here people tie their hair up in little bows etc. . I told him I was sure that it is possible to keep their hair trimmed so they don't look so girly.

Basically I have very little experience of dogs but I'll be the one spending the most time with it. The spaniel was frustrating because he had to be tied up when I was doing housework. He also kept clamping his jaw on my trousers and refusing to let go. Are there any breeds that wouldn't behave like that or is it a puppy trait?

As I say I do like dogs but as a total beginner I need the most non challenging one you can think of. Teacups are getting popular here but I've heard they can be quite unhealthy. My grandmother had a Chiuhuahua. What are they like? Again my boyfriend's not keen. I think in his heart of hearts he'd prefer to live in a large house and have a golden retriever.

Fran27

If you just gave up a dog because you broke a foot, I think any dog will be too much for you. ALL dogs need some training, ALL dogs need excercise. Your cocker probably acted that way because he wasn't trained. You will have the same problem with other dogs because they will need to be trained, too.

Don't get another dog until you read a lot about training and the breed you are thinking of.. way too many people just don't train people then give them away because they do things like your cocker did.

621mum

I remember your earlier post about not having a way to get the dog down the stairs with a broken foot to walk or go out etc. and having no one there to help out with him. It's a shame that you couldn't keep him, but probably better for him since he would have probably gotten bored being in all the time as a pup. I'm guessing you're planning to wait until you are all healed to start over again ; )

Puppies are difficult and they are all going to need constant supervision (or to be crated/penned etc. when you can't watch them). Luna is almost 5 months and I still attach her to me or the kitchen doorknob when I'm unloading the dishwasher so she won't get into mischief. And the biting really is a puppy thing too. It takes training and time for them to get past it.

As far as a breed goes, it sounds like you are leaning toward something smaller. That may be a good idea if you are planning for it to use pee pads or a litter box etc. rather than going outside. Some small breeds are pretty excitable though. There is a book called "your purebreed puppy" (or something close) that can help you pick. There are also websites that have "tests" you do that help suggest a breed. One is here: http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do Here is another: http://www.petnet.com.au/dogs/dogselectapet.html And another that let's you sort by trait: http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog/

Good luck!

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Pekingnese are great little dogs for your situation. I say this because I used to breed them and they are great loving little dogs. Very loyal and stay little. But if you are looking for something that you wont need to train alot i may suggest and adult dog or even one that is a yr or so old. Like they said in the posts pups need alot of training and depending on the breed they need to run around etc and if you are on the 5th floor that may not be easy to do. Good luck in your choice

bubbatd

Why not rescue a dog that is already housebroken and a couch potato ??? My goldens were at home in big or small house....held themselves forever.

skyhigh

^Agree with Grammy. A rescue would be great. Already trained and out of that puppy stage

Harley

My parents recently got a Shiba Inu. They are supposed to be great aparment dogs. They have had really good luck with her.

yoko

try going to an animal shelter or something. and then look at dogs a year or two old. they'll still be young... you'll know how big they're going to get...

and ask if you can take the dog out to a quiet place to see it and how it interacts with you. you can probably find the dog you've been looking for :D

BTW how's korea? i was born in korea :D

Members online

No members online now.