I have a quick question?

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
My trainer is holding an open house on Saturday and she is having a rescue group come in and do microchipping for $10 and tatooing for $5 which one is better all of the proceeds go to the rescue I do have my dobes microchipped but all the hunting dogs only wear collars with id tags would the tatooing be a good choice for these guys and how is it done at the clinic we offer microchipping but not tatooing and I was wondering if it was a safe effective way for indintification? and if it is painful to the dogs or do they give a local anesthetic? what information do they put on the dogs leg? and any other information any one may have :confused:

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
Thanks Serena we are thinking of taking all 16 of the hunting dogs to the open house and getting them tattooed I think it would be a great way to

1) support the rescue
2) another form of indentification because collars can be removed easily

I hope they use anesthesia, because I had a tatoo, and it hurts!!!! How do they do the microchip? I just have collars, and id tags at this point.

candy722

How do they tattoo? I heard there are many brands of micro chips and some offices only carry a certain ones. So they say it's just better to have an ID tag for your dog. I read this on Dog fancy magazine.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
candy722 said:
I heard there are many brands of micro chips and some offices only carry a certain ones. So they say it's just better to have an ID tag for your dog. I read this on Dog fancy magazine.
There are two types of microchips- Home Again (the brand registered by the AKC) and Avid. I think it's the Avid chip that can't be read by the Home Again chip readers, but Home Again chips can be read by the Avid readers.

Duke got the Home Again microchip, and has the silver ID tag stating that he is microchipped on his collar. (Alond with a regular ID tag, license tag, and rabies tag.)

darkchild16

We are Home.
all greyhounds off the track have tattoos in the ear with birth dates and the puppy they were like a for the first one b for the second and so on but if your dogs have black or dark ears its prolly better to microchip because sometimes you cant tell what it says. and what they do is you choose the letter or number they put it one the "gun"(it looks more like pliers with foam on one side) and hold it down for however long and do that over and over again until their done. and i have no clue how they do the leg. hope this helps

breeze

Serena said:
If you tattoo, you have a choice of the ear or the leg, most people choose the leg because an ear is easy to cut off if the dog is stolen.
Oh god,anyone cut off either of my dogs ears or even hurt them, theyd be dead. its sick when you have to even worry about someone cutting off your dog's ear. well ,im gonna go get my dogs microchipped soon after reading this topic. lol im so paranoid, or am i? :confused:

No, you're not paranoid. I need to get my three chipped, even though imagining someone trying to steal one of them - even little Bimmer - is kind of funny when you think about what the results would be . . . :eek:

lol boomer so gentle when hes actually around people but he acts tough. if anyone tried to steal him, hed go along with no doubts

Members online