Yikes! check out this AWFUL breeder!

snook

The Amish treat animals very well. I highly doubt the Amish are mistreating any living creature. I would also venture to say that the Amish know more about any animal that they deal with than anyone else out there. I have had nothing but good dealings with the Amish, others would disagree I'm sure. They are shrewd business folks.

snook

When I lived in PA, I dealt with them all the time on livestock. I was impressed with the quality and health of the critters. If they are truly practicing Amish, I'm surprised. There may be a few bad ones out there, but I don't think it's fair to trash all folks for some bad ones. If you have an issue with the Amish, go to the elders. They'll take care of that crap right now.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Actually, doing a bit of research myself on puppymills a few years back, I was quite surprised to find the same information- that many puppymills are Amish run. I have no doubt that the majority of the Amish are wonderful people, but I'm also pretty darn sure that what ALCR is saying is true.

And we have to remember that people running these mills aren't necessarily *evil* just horribly misinformed/uneducated about bringing healthy puppies into the world. It may just be the fact that they don't see animals the way most of us do- as family members. If you're running a puppy mill you see animals as a means to an end, as a way to make money and not much more.

I have no doubt that the Amish treat their OWN animals very well (mistreated horses would be absolutely useless), but the ones they sell to make money are an entirely different story.

snook

It may be true, I can only speak from what I've seen first hand. I can tell you that the Amish that I personally dealt with were very good with their animals. First name basis with their horses; horses aren't stupid, they'll act out if they are mistreated. Dogs, cats, all the other critters looked well cared for and very well behaved. I did know one Amish sawyer; he was a crook and was constantly being upbraided by the elders until he was expelled. Like I said, there are a few bad apples, but to paint a whole culture with the same brush is wrong. Unless the whole OH settlement is corrupted, if you have any concerns take them to the village elders. Their teachings are very clear about the responsibilities and stewardship of their charges, animal or otherwise.

snook

I know that some clans are inbred to the point of retardation; the Amish I spoke to are aware of animal husbandry. I'm sure that there are some who are not. I just haven't had the misfortune of running into them.

Just to clarify something, I never accused them all of being horrible animal abusers. I mentioned this place because they advertized in the paper. There is no question that they are Amish but their animals in this case or just in awful conditions. I know that the Amish right around here in Ohio, many of them take part in the puppymills, they run these auctions. I run into many Amish at the stores and I don't have anything against them. I go to a Amish run restaurant and their food is wonderful and they are nice. But there is no question that these places here are run by Amish. That doesn't make them all horrible people, just some of them. The one's who raise and sell pups for breeding and profit, who run these mills and auctions and who horrible mistreat their animals, all for profit. They are where the pet stores get their pups from. Amish puppy mills.

Well this specific guy I mentioned is James Yoder. There is also Daniel P. Esh in Lancaster County in PA. And Jonas and Henry Lapp in Chester County PA.

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/murray112805.html

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com/PuppyMillArticles.htm

There is also this news report. This particular article mentions Curtis Beachy who is a private breeder "in the heart of Amish country", but I will give you that one, it doesn't actually say that HE is Amish himself.

Plus I know of specific rescues who went to the Amish run auctions. I just know of this all from working at various rescue shelters around here and from the 2 humane officers I worked with in the past few years. I have heard the reports of what they have found in their years of being officers.

Many of the Amish run mills are in Tuscarawas County, Holmes County, Morrow County, Coshockton County. And Lancaster County in PA.

The New Jersey SPCA has a small article about the dogs they removed from one as well. http://www.njcapsa.org/ "The majority of puppy mills are located in the Midwest, but several hundred are also found in PA's Lancaster County, where Amish & Mennonite breeders flourish in “the puppy mill capital of the East."

There is also a Mennonite-owned puppy mill in New York's Finger Lakes Region.

AND last but not least, Petland buys from the Hunte Coorporation which buys directly from teh Amish and Mennonite Puppy mills.

Here is a list of a few in Millersburg, OH which is Holmes county:
-Stoneywoods Kennel, Mayacre Kennel and Redoys Kennel run by Ervin, Myron, Naomi and Andrew Yoder
-Creekside Kennels run by Christ Yoder
-M & R Kennel run by Marlin Troyer
-Weaver Kennel run by Andy and Lena Weaver
-Long Lane Kennel and Golden View Kennel run by Ervin Raber
-The Buckeye Dog Auction run by Ella Raber

I think that should do it.

joce

Snook this isn't something new-everyone knows about it. to them its another product to sell and they are not treated as a pet but as something to profit from.

There are many great amish people,but they view things diffrently from us. to them puppymilling is jsut another way to make money. Its not a good thing and hopefully some of the education people are trying to do is helping.

hollybea

i dont know how to put this without getting acussed of taking sides as im not but the point i want to make is be very careful of what you are saying as in this country you can be sued for defamation of character and slander and by actually puting the things you are saying in writing you could end up with a law suit against you, please be carefull as i would hate any of you to get into trouble for your opinions, i understand how we can get upset by things like this but make sure you are only writing what is fact.

i dont know how to put this without getting acussed of taking sides as im not but the point i want to make is be very careful of what you are saying as in this country you can be sued for defamation of character and slander and by actually puting the things you are saying in writing you could end up with a law suit against you, please be carefull as i would hate any of you to get into trouble for your opinions, i understand how we can get upset by things like this but make sure you are only writing what is fact.
Most of what I wrote is in file available to the public or from articles and websites.

In my opinion,saying all puppymills are run by the amish comunity is racist.I know a great many amish folks who would gladly shoot a BYB or a puppy-farmer for their awful deeds.
Im not saying that they're all angels,far from it.but every community has a few bad apples.In my words,saying that all BYB and puppy-farmers ar amish is exactly the same as saying all pit-bulls are evil,which is not true!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
No, not all Amish people are puppymillers... but there are many, many Amish puppymills. Lancaster, PA is the #1 puppymilling county. This, in itself, says something.

Members online

No members online now.