Jelly poops and blood

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
So my sister brought her chihuahua puppy home on Sunday. She had a little bit of diarrhea yesterday morning. She had a solid stool this morning.

Then, she had a jelly poop with blood in it a few minutes ago.

She came with ProPlan but refused to eat it, so my sister put her straight onto raw (Nature's Variety chicken).

She's still active and running around. No vomiting.

I think it's from stress and the food switch.

Thoughts?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It could be colitis from the irritated stomach from a food switch. I'd go for a bland diet for a few meals (can't exactly skip meals with chihuahua puppies) and maybe even some meds to soothe the stomach, you can try pepto if you can find the dosage.

momto8

Could be stress or food switch or maybe a bit of both. Whenever we switch foods with Courtney we have to be very slow with it or she will get jelly poops with tons of blood :(

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
She's 4.5 months old, and has had all of her vaccines except for Rabies. I highly, highly doubt it's parvo.

From everything I've read, it points to stress/food change, which is exactly what I'd guess.

Aleron

Worms can cause that too. If continues, I wouldn't hesitate to take her to the vet. I don't think you can be too careful with puppies having these sorts of symptoms.

She's 4.5 months old, and has had all of her vaccines except for Rabies. I highly, highly doubt it's parvo.

From everything I've read, it points to stress/food change, which is exactly what I'd guess.
Whew. We see SO many where the owner just got the puppy, same age, and no vaccines. Or ONE vaccines.

Teal

...ice road...
With a new home and sudden switch to raw, I would expect the pup to have some serious gastrointestinal issues for a few days, at least!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
With a new home and sudden switch to raw, I would expect the pup to have some serious gastrointestinal issues for a few days, at least!
Exactly!

She's eating chicken and rice, and my sister is giving her canned pumpkin as well.

She hasn't had diarrhea since that one time yesterday morning. Hopefully everything will be solid again today!

She's super active and crazy- no vomiting, lethargy, or anything else.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Irritated stomach/intestinal lining? One of my dogs had jelly stuff in his poo for the better part of a month after he swapped to raw. I tend not to worry about jelly poop as much as pure liquid, but in such a tiny dog I think anything could be cause for concern. I'd maybe be inclined to feed some kibble or canned food while the dog is so tiny and growing, if the poop issue doesn't clear up after a little while on raw.

Is she getting any enzymes/digestion aids?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Good news- Jersey had a solid poop! She's been eating chicken and rice, supplemented with canned pumpkin.

My sister is planning on putting her back on raw tonight, but is still going to feed the canned pumpkin to help regulate things.

Members online

No members online now.