Someone please help me

nezzer1

I just got a beagle 3 months ago, we love her to death but theres 1 problem she wont stop digging holes in the back yard, is there anything i can do? thanks

keyodie

Keyozilla
Well is she getting enough attention and excercise? Dogs will dig holes to use their energy if they don't get enough excercise or attention, but of course, it can always be something else. Does she come inside or does she stay outside?

nezzer1

she stays inside and we walk her everyday, ive tried alot of different things like burying her fecies in the hole but then she just digs another one.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i have read a variety of things..but sometimes it comes down to the bare bones fact (no pu intended) you have a digger. I have read an article where people have had success making a sand pit and giving the dog a place where digging is aloud..but to do that you will have to go out with your dog each time and stay out with him until he understands 100% that digging is not allowed anywhere else..and can be encouraged to dig in the right place by burying treats or toys and praising when they are dug up. Behavior modification thing along with compromise. OR you can do what my mom does..she use to go out with a sling shot and a pebble..she was a deadly aim and the porch was 14 feet high up above the dog so it didn't hurt them..OR what she does now..puts a rock in the last hole and has the backyard arranging with intricate pieces of metal grills and such to discourage it in the first place. That is all i know to do for diggers.

I had a lab that would dig and dig and dig. He stopped as he matured though its something they just grow out of just make sure that u dont punish him when u fin dthe whole only if u find him digging it and then let him no hes been bad. My neighbour had a beagle which i helped walk and I always remember going to there yard aand seeing holes everywhere. But aagain I think he slowly matured out of it. Beagles are great dogs!

Becca_

chowchow
Princess has a couple decent holes in the yard. Have you ever seen a Pug dig? Kokomo has watched Princess dig in her hole so of course he has to get on it. It is very amusing to watch a pug dig. I'm just hoping that with age, Princess too will stop the digging.

Irish

I have no advice on how to get him to stop, but I can tell you that this is a beagle trait. I work in a kennel and we always know if we let a beagle out in the yard, we have to watch them, they are notorious diggers! Good luck.

oriondw

user not active
smkie said:
i have read a variety of things..but sometimes it comes down to the bare bones fact (no pu intended) you have a digger. I have read an article where people have had success making a sand pit and giving the dog a place where digging is aloud..but to do that you will have to go out with your dog each time and stay out with him until he understands 100% that digging is not allowed anywhere else..and can be encouraged to dig in the right place by burying treats or toys and praising when they are dug up. Behavior modification thing along with compromise. OR you can do what my mom does..she use to go out with a sling shot and a pebble..she was a deadly aim and the porch was 14 feet high up above the dog so it didn't hurt them..OR what she does now..puts a rock in the last hole and has the backyard arranging with intricate pieces of metal grills and such to discourage it in the first place. That is all i know to do for diggers.

I have a digger. Here's what I did.

I put a plastic flooring in a living room, about 4x4m in area and only allow him to dig there. So he just digs the plastic floor, having fun, scarping and not hurting anything :)

My Lab made my backyard into what looked like some kind of WW1 movie set, with 3' diameter holes all over the place. He always had one that was close enough to the faucet to fill it up and make a mud bath for him. I think his rheumatoid arthritis stopped him after 3 years of it.

My Pit mix would have been the ultimate digging machine, but he didn't care much about it. One time he saw a Mole and dug a huge hole trying to catch it, but never did. I think he maybe dug a dozen holes in the yard during his entire life, but he sure dug them fast. Those huge claws and thick short legs really could move the dirt.

EliNHunter

Oh, a beagle that digs? Never heard of it! Lol... seriously, though. They are notorious to be diggers and not sure if you can break him of his natural instincts. I've also heard that sand pit thing to give him his outlet for digging and try to teach him that's his only digging space. It's worth a try. Try and train him to only dig in the designated digging pit. Let us know what you do and how it goes!

i have this prob too, but I have Jacks so its something I just have to live with, I just let them have part of the garden to do what they wish in and the other is for the plants so they can live lol

Debi

as stated, some breeds are just inclined to dig. my husky mix digs holes large enough to lose a small child in. I just supervise when outside at all times so that she doesn't go into my flower beds, but I know it's not something I'll ever train her to stop doing. that's one of the reasons you should do research into a breed before bringing them home....to find out about each little quirk. :) just try taking her to a part of the yard you allow, and let her dig away.

Members online

No members online now.