Would you eat Cuy (Guinea Pig)?

Would you eat Cuy (Guinea Pig)?

• Yes, I'd eat it. BRING ON THE CUY!

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I'd try a bite if someone else ordered it.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No, I could never eat a guinea pig! They're pets!

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No, I couldn't eat a guinea pig because the idea grosses me out

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I don't eat meat

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I've had cuy before

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Chicken Pot Pie

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I hope not. I've had a lot of animals and I'd try just about anything once. Like, if I went to a country where it was served regularly I would absolutely try things like horse and dog, despite having owned both of those animals as well.

Even at work I have to handle dead feeder rats, and that doesn't bother me at all despite the fact that I own rats.

I'm very good at separating my OWN animals from meat on a plate.
Oh good, LOL. I would try horse, I *think*, but dog sounds gross, not even for moral reasons just... eeeewwww, wouldn't they be all weird and gamey? I guess the thought of eating a carnivore is new to me. LOL But I'm pretty adventurous with food, I guess.

So now I'm wondering... I've never had rabbit but I love duck. I wonder how cuy would go down? lol

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I'd try it, but I don't know that I could make an entire meal out of it. I've eaten duck several times, and it is definitely not one of my favorites.

milos_mommy

I'd absolutely try it/order it.

I eat rabbit whenever I get the chance, and I have a pet rabbit. I eat pigs, and they're probably far, far smarter and more "individual" than guinea pigs. I loved my pet guinea pigs more than anything, but I'd still eat one.

I'm way more concerned about how an animal is cared for in life than what's done with it in death. I think it's more respectful to eat something you kill than to let it go to waste. I'd STRONGLY prefer to eat an intelligent/pet animal (pig, cat...I'm not sure I could ever eat dog, but I might), who has lived a good life and was killed humanely, than to eat a chicken or "food animal" that lived in a factory, miserable, and died a crappy meat plant death.

I'll also try eating just about anything, I'm a pretty adventurous eater.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'd try it if someone else ordered it. I don't think I could bring myself to order it, though. Not only because Guinea Pigs are awesome pets that I adore, but because I'm not fond of trying new meat.

When I had my piggies, my mom frequently joked that if we ever got snowed in, at least we had some food we could fry up. And when my sister got her pigs, mom named them Appetizer One, Appetizer Two, and Christmas Dinner. :p

Oh sure I would, if I were hungry enough. Say, if I were lost somewhere in the Peruvian forest with nothing but roots and unidentifiable leaves to eat for months. Sitting around the campfire boiling up some greenery and some little guinea pigs come wandering out of the woods and do a little hamster dance around the fire, mistaking my kettle for a Jacuzzi... Yeah, I might consider carving up their little parboiled bodies (and I'd have to be SOME kind of delirious to do it with their heads still attached. I don't like my food to stare back at me). Mind you, from the sounds of this post I'd also have to be breathing in some of that weird'n'wacky woodsmoke from my fire.

So, long story short, probably not. Greasy/stringy would probably make me ill anyway.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I would be unlikely to try it, I have stomach issues and I have to be very careful what meats I eat. The greasyness would probably make me sick. The meat in that picture doesn't look very appetizing to me, it reminds me of a pile of sardines.

I voted chicken pot pie. :D

Maxy24

No, I don't think I could stomach eating an animal I view as a pet. Though I don't think I'd have a problem feeding a dead one to my cat (as part of a raw diet).

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
It's supposed to taste like rabbit. I never said the texture was the same ;)
Ah, I guess for me texture is a big part of taste.

I mean the picture makes it look like it's mostly dark meat? Whereas domestic rabbit (NZ, Californian, your typical meat breeds) is more like white meat.

So maybe it's more like wild rabbit meat? :confused:

I would try it, sure, but unless the herds of agricultural piggies bred for food are different, there just... isn't very much usable meat on them.

I volunteered at a raptor rehab clinic for several years and one of the regular food sources we got were guinea pigs. I HATED them because they were just the biggest waste of time to clean and prepare for the amount of usable meat you got.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I would try it, sure, but unless the herds of agricultural piggies bred for food are different, there just... isn't very much usable meat on them.

I volunteered at a raptor rehab clinic for several years and one of the regular food sources we got were guinea pigs. I HATED them because they were just the biggest waste of time to clean and prepare for the amount of usable meat you got.
That's why they were breeding up the size and growth rates. I guess they do better than rabbits in certain parts of the world and with the breeding programs have pretty good feed-to-meat conversion as well as being small enough to work in an urban environment

That's why they were breeding up the size and growth rates. I guess they do better than rabbits in certain parts of the world and with the breeding programs have pretty good feed-to-meat conversion as well as being small enough to work in an urban environment
Yea these ones were like giant walking abdomens with little stumpy, scrawny legs stuck on the bottom.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Lol okay now I probably couldn't eat cuy...thanks for that :p
Haha! You don't want to eat Frodo? You'd probably end up with some anger issues or something, so that's probably a good thing.

I had a friend who called corgis "chicken nugget dogs" because she thought their bodies looked like chicken nuggets. Which Frodo's totally does.

Grab

Seeing as how I'm extra picky with both my beef and chicken, nope, wouldnt try it. Picture did not help, lol

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't know. I lean towards no because one of my most beloved family pets was my guinea pig....

BUT I also had pet rabbits and I love wild rabbit. So maybe I would try it.

Members online

No members online now.