White GSD

DanL

There is a white GSD in our working dog club. He's healthy and robust but he's got temperament issues that would preclude him from being what anyone would consider a good GSD. He's not a real strong dog though, and really shouldn't be doing the type of training we do at the club. He'd be a good obedience dog, but bite work is not something he'll ever be good at. He's fearful and shows way too much avoidance when the decoy puts any amount of pressure on him. To me, that's what you get when you have a GSD that is bred for color or other traits, like looking nice in the show ring. The breed's other characteristics are watered down too much.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Here they now have their own recognised standared as White Shepherds. I don't know a lot about them but they are aceptable to show and breed here. I know one breder (I know OF them... on a forum) that is fighting for her breed and does an amazing job, working hard to make the breed more healthy, however.. Mini Aussies are looked down upon

showdawgz

How would you descirbe a "well tempered" GSD? I'm assuming it is far off of the original standard, as most people do not understand a true GSD, white or not.

DanL

Not sure who your question was directed at showdawgz, but to me, a well tempered GSD would be:

Calm and easy going in general, but protective when needed. Confident and fearless in the face of danger. Aloof- acknowledge visitors but not climb all over them for attention. Poised and intelligent.

showdawgz

No I was not directing that question to you Dan. I was refferring to those who say white shepherds have better temperaments, when I've only seen fearful ones and ones who NEEDED attention from everyone. Neither temperaments fit the true standard of a GSD.

showdawgz

So what's your definition of a true GSD temperment then?
Dan pretty much summed it up. GSD's should be confident and self assured (although it is ok for some to be "sharp), not agressive but protective (can distinguish a true threat and think before reacting), and aloof. People dont seem to understand that, and expect my dogs to fawn over you and if they dont then they are "mean" or "antisocial".

Boemy

IMO, once you start breeding primarily for an "unusual" color you're asking for trouble. In any breed. What justifies these dogs to be a separate breed, other than "they're so pretty"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a white shepherd and a German shepherd are mated, won't all the babies have dark coats? (Unless the German shepherd carries a recessive gene for white, which I imagine is very rare?) If so, that severely limits the amount of breeding stock available for white shepherds. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I would get a usual colored German shepherd if I were interested in that kind of dog.

DanL

Aloof is a funny description, but accurate. If any one of you came to my house, Gunnar would come up to you, sniff you, let you pet him a bit, maybe lick your hand, and then he's done. He'll go lay down. Unless we're outside and he brings you a toy, and you are dumb enough to throw it for him. Because once that starts, you can't end it!

mrose_s

BusterLove
Thats one of the things i love about working breeeds, they they don't need to be all over people. Buster defends untill he knows everyone is fine, then he sniffs then looses interset.

pafla

In Europe white GSD is recognized as White Swiss Shepherd by FCI-Federation Cynologique Internationale and they compete in dog shows.Standard has very few differences from standard of American-Canadian White Shepherd

Temperament for American-Canadian White Shepherd
The White Shepherd has a distinct personality marked by a direct, but not hostile expression of self-confidence. It is poised but when the situation demands, it should be eager and alert, ready to serve in any capacity such as companion, watch dog or service dog. To his inherent aptitude as a guardian of flocks should be an added protectiveness of the person and property of his family. With those he knows well, he should be open and friendly. With strangers, he should be observant and may be somewhat aloof but never apprehensive. Timidity, shrinking behind the handler, lack of confidence or any other display of poor character or aggression are severe faults. Dogs displaying such pronounced character flaws should be excused from the ring. Any dog that attempts to bite the judge must be disqualified.

DanL

The problem with that description is that too many white GSDs are timid, fear biters, and generally lacking in the desired traits because they are being bred for color. When you breed for color, the other traits take a back seat.

Dekka

Just try me..
its not just when you breed for colour..its when you breed for one trait, at the expense of the others. Most show breeders breed for colour to a point. Breeds standards will require certian colours of pigment, toenails fur etc. In most cases I find it ridiculous. If it doesn't' affect the dogs working ability, health or temperament what diff does colour make?

pafla

This is a question of good versus bad breeders and not good or bad breed.I have seen only a couple of this dogs and they all had sound temperament.Perhaps the reason for this is that they are not very popular breed in Croatia and their is only a handful of breeders who keep temperament of the breed in mind when breeding.I have no idea how many of breeders abroad keep to this,but than again those who dont are bad breeders.
I cant see anything wrong in breeding for a certain colour if one pay attention on dogs temperament and health.I love GSDs but only working lines.There are many black GSDs between them and they are used for army and military service.This dogs do not fit any show standard and to me this dogs are much better looking than any show GSD in any colour.I am saying this because someone said that getting a dog with a certain coluor is stupid-in another thread.Now a couple weeks back I was offered a black GSD bitch -9 month old from army-military breeding.She is a beauty,doesnt fit any GSD standard-by looks and has a good temperament.If I hadnt fall in love with groens I would have probably taken her.She went to a good home-I meet her to day.So what exactly is wrong in liking a dog in particular colour and why is it different wanting a GSD in certain colour if you get a dog from a reputable bredeer who has dogs who have a good temperament and are healthy.And how is it different from wanting a chocolate lab for example.

joce

Joce ... that is so dumb of the owners !!!! Who knows who bred to who !!! He should be turned in .

But to who? Its not against any laws here(no limit on how many dogs and supposedly there is a kennel license for the property) and he isn't registering the pups so he can't get those rights taken away. The Dog warden has been out there multiple times and the erie shores guy my cousin goes through went down to talk with him about spaying and neutering thinking he just had it get out of control. The man actually said he doesn't believe in getting dogs altered. He told him instead of a contract to alter he tells them to breed to continue the great lines:rolleyes: There are literally pups of every age running around.

I need to get pics one of these times I go by. You can't even imagine:(

Members online

No members online now.