Betta Experts?

Anyone an expert on bettas? My fish has been pretty lethargic the last couple days, laying on the bottom of the tank. Every few minutes he'll dart around the tank, but it's very frantic-like, and he's kind of curled when he does it. He definitely doesn't seem normal. Suggestions?

EDIT: He's in a 2.5 gallon tank, no tankmates. No filter. He gets a 50% water change every week or so, and a 100% change every two weeks. I use filtered (Brita) water with a water conditioner.

Xandra

From the behavior I'd guess parasite, but usually you see those. Look at him carefully for any weird specks or weird coloration.

No heater, but my house is quite warm - the tank is probably 72 degrees or so?

I can't see any weird specks or spots - he's looking quite scraggly though.

crazedACD

How long have you had him?

It doesn't sound good, I don't tend to get bettas back when they start doing this. I would definitely change part of the water every other day for right now (use a baster or something so you aren't stressing him out too much). Try a little bit of aquarium salt too.

Can you get a picture? Even "almost in focus" would help here. I'm not really sure what you mean by the fins.

Consider a thermometer too. Any sort of draft could bring the temperature down.

It sounds somewhat like a cold then fin rot type thing.

I will attempt to get a picture tonight when I get home from work. Why would the temperature cause this sudden change, when the tank has been the same temp for months? Right now at work I have the following options - I have Aquarium Solutions Ultimate Water Conditioner, Kordon AmQuel, and Kordon NovAqua. The Ultimate one sounds the best, says it removes chlorines, ammonia, chloramines, nitrates and heavy metals, adds electrolytes, boosts immunity, and reduces stress. Does that sound good? The water conditioner I've been using just says something about chlorine and chloramines. When I get home tonight, should I just add the Ultimate to the tank? Or do a complete water change and then add the Ultimate?

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Water change and then add.

Sometimes it takes a while of being cold to have serious effects.

Scraggly fins in bettas most often = finrot. I would check with your local aquarium store to see if they have any anti-fungal meant to help clear that up. Increase the temperature, too, and add aquarium salt.

Xandra

****, I'm sorry. Totally up to you but if you still have the body you could still post pics (of him in water) and maybe someone might know what killed him... it's good to know that sort of thing. Re: the temperature thing, it's not like keeping them at room temperature is necessarily fatal (I know many bettas who've lived to 3+ years being neglected in room temperature vases lol) but it can weaken their immune system and make them susceptible to things they might otherwise fight off. That said of course they get sick and die in nice big filtered heated aquariums too. Sometimes illness just finds a way to happen.

Again, sorry.

Members online

No members online now.