Vegetable Recipes?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Looking for some good, easy vegetable recipes.

I need more variety in my veggies or I am going to get sick of it. Right now I just heat up frozen mixed veggies.

I'm looking for any other ways to make veggies! Just veggies, or veggies and meat. Last week I made honey citrus roasted veggies and it was awesome, and got me thinking about other ways to make veggies!

Thanks in advance!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I was so going to link the picture of my veggie mash for the dogs last weeked when I saw your title... Oops :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I was so going to link the picture of my veggie mash for the dogs last weeked when I saw your title... Oops :)
:rofl1:

Well all of those things looked good, but I don't think sticking it in the food processor then ice cube trays is how I want to consume my veggies :p

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Like... vegetable main dishes? Cause I have a ton of those! :D

One of my favourites is probably making lasagna with eggplant instead of noodles. Probably not *healthy*, though :p

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Like... vegetable main dishes? Cause I have a ton of those! :D

One of my favourites is probably making lasagna with eggplant instead of noodles. Probably not *healthy*, though :p
I'm not necessarily needing them to all be "healthy" I just need them to be grain free, no beans, little to no dairy, and made from scratch. Whole foods. I have really been wanting to experiment with eggplant, so hit me up with that one please!!

I always see these yummy looking veggie dishes where the base is wilted/frozen spinach and they look so good! I just have no idea how to prepare them.

milos_mommy

Jess....I think the noodles are the unhealthy part of lasagna!

My favorite veggies right now are carrots and zucchini/squash ribboned with a peeler and sautéed briefly in olive oil or butter. I just use salt and pepper to season. It's super easy and fast and yum.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Jess....I think the noodles are the unhealthy part of lasagna!

My favorite veggies right now are carrots and zucchini/squash ribboned with a peeler and sautéed briefly in olive oil or butter. I just use salt and pepper to season. It's super easy and fast and yum.
Are they like julienned?

I can use olive oil, so that would be awesome.

Lyzelle

I think my favorite at the moment....yeah, this is definitely my favorite. I've had it everyday for lunch and dinner for the last week or so. :p

Sautee veggies of choice with oil of choice. (ex. - onion, carrots, potato, asparagus) May add meat or no, your choice.
Top with garlic seasoning.
Drain oil if necessary.

Bone broth is best to have on hand. I make mine with beef soup bones(super cheap at any grocery store) water, bouillon cubes, and oregano, garlic, basil, etc. Glug of vinegar to draw out the minerals.

When veggies are about halfway done, pour in some of the bone broth, little at a time, until you reach a consistency you feel comfortable with. AKA, enough moisture that this delicious mixture isn't going to burn to the bottom of the pan.

Simmer until potatoes or whatever other veggies are done. Might have to add more broth as needed, depending on how greedy your veggies are.

It's basically a stew. But it's the most amazing stew of your life, I promise. And it seems like a hassle, but once you have bone broth on hand IT COMES IN HANDY SO MUCH. Like, bam. I just made a stew from awesome ingredients in 15 minutes. Or, hey, I can freeze this whole batch and have it whenever I want. WHAT NOW YOU TEMPTING CUPCAKE.

Smoothies work too, I guess.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks Lyzelle!!

Now, how do I make bone broth? o_O

Also, I wonder if I could do the bone broth one in the crockpot? Just throw in some meat with the bones?

Lyzelle

Thanks Lyzelle!!

Now, how do I make bone broth? o_O

Also, I wonder if I could do the bone broth one in the crockpot? Just throw in some meat with the bones?
Just throw it all in a pot and boil/simmer it forever. :p I am not a very technical person. You should be able to find beef soup bones at the store. Grab those, glug of vinegar (don't need much) season as you like, fill with water to cover bones. Done. It's usable as soon as you start noticing the marrow coming out of the bones. After 4-5 hours, maybe? Depending on if you are boiling or simmering, I suppose.

You could totally do it in a crock pot. A lot of people prefer putting organ meat in bone broths(because what is worse than veggies? organ meat), but I'm sure you could put any sort of meat in there. Same goes for Chicken Bone Broth, too.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Just throw it all in a pot and boil/simmer it forever. :p I am not a very technical person. You should be able to find beef soup bones at the store. Grab those, glug of vinegar (don't need much) season as you like, fill with water to cover bones. Done.

You could totally do it in a crock pot. A lot of people prefer putting organ meat in bone broths(because what is worse than veggies? organ meat), but I'm sure you could put any sort of meat in there. Same goes for Chicken Bone Broth, too.
I am so going to try this. But I'm trying to stay away from potatoes, but carrots and onions and such? Nomnomnom!

Thanks!

Have you ever made spaghetti with spaghetti squash instead of noodles? Fantastic!

And in the not healthy but ohhh so tasty is fried cabbage, slice like for coleslaw and fry in a pan with butter, cabbage is sweet tasting this way.

Brussels sprouts with butter and vinegar also fantastic.

Lyzelle

I am so going to try this. But I'm trying to stay away from potatoes, but carrots and onions and such? Nomnomnom!

Thanks!
Yep! I love pouring some over some broccoli and just eating it that way too. It's really versatile. It's like instant soup/stew...whenever, however! And it's perfect with veggies.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Is it considered paleo? I have never tried curry :eek:

I will try anything once :p
Yes, it's paleo - let me talk to my Indian friend again to make sure I have the recipe right, and I'll send it to you. It's spicy and delicious, and mostly just cauliflower and tomatoes.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Yes, it's paleo - let me talk to my Indian friend again to make sure I have the recipe right, and I'll send it to you. It's spicy and delicious, and mostly just cauliflower and tomatoes.
I've been wanting to try roasted cauliflower and the spaghetti squash pasta for a while now.

Exciting!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Okay, here's your curry recipe!

~ a few tablespoons of olive oil

1 small or ½ large white onion, diced

1 bunch cilantro, lightly chopped

1 small chili (jalapeno or serrano), diced and seeded (to taste; I typically seed half) – LEAVE OUT IF YOU DON’T WANT IT SPICY

3/4 head cauliflower, busted all up into bite-size pieces. the smaller the pieces, the better.

4 diced fresh tomatoes OR 1-2 cans of canned, diced tomatoes.
½ tsp ground ginger (or a bit of grated fresh – I am not a big ginger fan so I always used dried)

4 cloves garlic, minced.

1 tsp cumin seed

2 tsp turmeric

2 tsp garam masala**

heat oil on medium heat, add onions + cumin seed. cook until onions are translucent.

add a handful (not the whole bunch, but a generous amount - do so with an eye to your taste for it) of chopped cilantro, turmeric, salt. stir and cook for a few minutes.

add chilies & tomatoes. stir well.

add ginger and garlic. keep stirring.

add cauliflower, combine well. bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook until cauliflower is at your desired consistency.

ALTERNATE IDEAS:

- before adding the cauliflower, puree the tomato/onion/spice mix with some coconut milk and simmer in the sauce until cauliflower is cooked.

- add assorted veggies. traditionally, this is cauliflower and potato curry - peas, eggplant, zucchini, etc might make this heartier and take advantage of produce during farmers market season. make note of the average cook time - for example, cauliflower needs to go in first b/c it takes longer to cook, where zucchini may only need 5 minutes in the sauce to get cooked through.

NOTES:

- the longer you let the sauce simmer before adding your veggies, the more flavorful it will be.

- to make indian food spicier, use fresh chilies. don't use chili powder.
- know your ingredients - this is a forgiving recipe and is friendly to alterations.

- **garam masala is a common indian spice blend. if you can find a place to buy it in bulk, you will save a LOT of money - it's easy to find at spice stores, but VERY often overpriced and it's not likely that you will use it very quickly. read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala) and make your own spice blend and test it out. don't feel like you have to stick 100% to it; i think for yours i used some extra ginger, cinnamon, chili powder and black pepper.

Members online