"Installing" ojerza/aloofness

Help! I think I've over-socialized my dog....

Katalin is 9 months on the 3rd. She LOVES people, dogs and everything else really. She's got a sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops kinda personality and attitude about her - and it's borderline driving me mad.

Kuvasz are supposed to be aloof/reserved with strangers with a ojerza type wariness from quite a young age onwards. Katalin has NOT displayed any of the above to date. She is extremely friendly, playful and outgoing both at home and when out and about. I know her guardy instincts won't kick in till at least around 2 or so but I wanted to know if it was possible in any other way besides focusing on me, making her sit/down when a stranger passes by, making her calm when walking past other dogs etc to teach her or to install into her a sort of ojerza or aloof attitude?

She doesn't need to be vicious guard dog yet - but if she would just ignore or be indifferent from strangers/random people out on walks rather than super enthusiastic that would be a HUGE improvement...

Call me crazy but I prefer a dog that minds it's own business and doesn't give much of a sh!t about much else besides their handler.

Toller_08

Some of it might just be puppy stuff/immaturity. Ripley used to think anyone and everything was his very best friend. He slowly got better about maintaining composure, and now at a little over three years old he's rather aloof and couldn't care less about most people. I don't know that it's possible to over socialize. In fact, I would tend to think it's even more important for guardian type breeds. I want my dogs to be ok with anything and everything.

Under-socializing doesn't create ojeriza (IMO): it creates an unpredictable and potentially more dangerous animal that doesn't have the experience it needs to make informed actions.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. I'd be tempted to teach her to wait for a release before greeting, but a lot of pups are happy-go-lucky until they hit whatever maturity point at which their more protective instincts kick in.

What are her parents like? What do you intend to use the dog for?

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Under-socializing doesn't create ojeriza (IMO): it creates an unpredictable and potentially more dangerous animal that doesn't have the experience it needs to make informed actions.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. I'd be tempted to teach her to wait for a release before greeting, but a lot of pups are happy-go-lucky until they hit whatever maturity point at which their more protective instincts kick in.

What are her parents like? What do you intend to use the dog for?
^^^All of this :thumbup:

Dad is 5 - friendly, polite yet reserved with people while out on walks; appropriately guardy on home turf. He has his doggy buddies from neighboring properties and is good with other less familiar dogs as well. But is composed.

Mom is 3 - abit guardier than dad in some respects, more subtle - yet still friendly, confident, polite and composed.

Well she's mainly just a companion but I do want her to be able to react appropriately should something seem out of place at home or otherwise. Indeed she believes every person, dog, or otherwise is her bestest pal ever. I hope this is just a puppy phase thing and she shakes it off by adulthood....the "OMG YOU'RE MY FRIEND!!!" thing has really lost it's charm right now.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I agree that she is young and at 9 months is going to start her teenage time of growing.

It is good for her to be socialized in order to then learn from instinct if someone is good or bad. This comes with time.

I would think your breeder would be more than happy to answer all your questions and concerns. If the breeder isn't willing to help you with you pup, then I would contact other breeders in the Kuvasz Club of America or Canada. I don't remember where you live.

Doberluv

You can't over socialize a dog. To try and do so would be a HUGE mistake. It's what makes dogs know the difference between normal and friendly strangers. She's only 9 months old...a normal puppy. Those traits will probably show up around 18 months to 2 yrs. old. And not all dogs adhere ridgidly to their standard. But I'd give it time. Keep on socializing her, which teaches her confidence and teaches her the ropes.

Members online