Everyones opion on brewers yeast?????

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
Rocky has allergies really bad and we have him on lamb and rice diet wich helps but he also is on benedryl two pills per day and also get sprayed with hydrocortisone spray when needed but we still have our days with breakouts he has actually gotten his hair back with addition of benedryl but my question is who here uses brewers yeast and what is your opinion on it it was suggested to me to use as an allergian reducer and to keep flys, fleas, and mosquitos away does it work and how safe is it?? I am a vet tech and the vet I work with does not recommend it but I am a firm believer that you go by what you think is best vets are like MD's and you need to use some of your own knowledge too

Barb04

Super Moderator
My stepson had his puppy on lamb & rice and was told to switch to chicken because the lamb & rice isn't good for dogs with allergies.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
brewers yeast in itself is a nice nutritional supplement, but whether it is a good idea to give depends on the individual dog.

i would not give any new supplement to a dog with allergies before the allergy problem is identified.

if you are feeding a lamb based food and use cortisone and benadryl you are just managing symptoms, but you aren't going to resolve the underlying problem that way.

what you need is to find out whether your dog is allergic to food or to something else. dogs who are already in the vicious cycle of allergies can show sensitivities to foods and substances they would not react to if their immune system wasn't already completely freaking out over some existing irritation.

your best bet would be an elimination diet, if you need guidelines, please feel free to contact me.

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
We know what he is allergic to it is grass we have done all the steps to eliminate the allergins and went to the dermatologist and it has been determined that he is allergic to grass so the best we can do until summer is over is to try to ease his discomfort with benedryl and keep him on a lamb and rice diet which has actually worked quite well he just has his bad days the brewers yeast was suggested as a way to keep the flies, fleas, and mosquitos off we don't have a problem with fleas but during our obedience classes the flys and mosquitos really bother him it was suggested by our trainer who is a new trainer for me I have always used the same lady until now I thougt I would give this new lady a try she has great credintials (spellng?) but I am still not real confident with her (she trains is a different way) the other great thing about her is she is alot closer she is only ten minutes away where as the other trainer is an hour anyways I was just wondering about brewers yeast and just need some opinions
thanks

frznbuns

I have been feeding Brewers yeast to my dog and other animals since 1974 with out any problems. I feed the dry type and my 100+ male doberman gets 1 tablespoon a day. It is a good supplement for their coats and skins also.

Members online

No members online now.