What killed her? :confused:

My boyfriend and I have always loved dogs so we decided to adopt a young pit bull from our local humane society. We named her Jenna. She was reserved and all she ever wanted was just to lay by you and be petted. My vet told me she was about three or four. She never like to play much but she loved little kids. She had always been the sweetest dog ever. We only had her for a month before I took her to get a rabies shot.

It was on a Tuesday when I packed her up and took her to the vet to get a rabies shot. The humane society didn't know when the last time was that she had had one and it was madatory when adopting. Wednesday night she really bit my boyfriend. He was picking her up to put her in the tub for a bath and she nipped his fingers. He let her go without displine because he was so shocked. He went to the kitchen to wash the blood from his had and reached down to pet her with his other when he was through. She latched on and wouldn't let go. When I arrived home my boyfriend was in near tears from a loss of what to do and Jenna was sitting in the corner by the back door panting. Her eyes were dialated different sizes and she wasn't acting like her self. We tied her up because it was late and we didn't know what to do. The next morning she was herself again. She spent all day with me and was fine. It wasn't until that night when things went horribly wrong. When we got home she was fine. She walked into the house just fine and I took her into the bathroom for her bath. I put her in the tub and she was fine. I had her wet and soapy when she laid down in the tub. She wouldn't get back up. I lifted her out and she just laid on the floor like she couldn't move. I dried her and put her in my room because I thought maybe she was in shock. He eyes were once again dialated different sizes and her whole body was limp. She died 10 minutes later. My boyfriend and I are now at a loss because everyone is saying it was rabies and that he is at risk and we don't know what to do. It was 11:00 pm when she died and we buried her right away. My parents want me to dig her up and take her to the vet for autopsy.

Can anyone help me?

Doberluv

OMG. I am so terribly sorry. What a horrible, upsetting experience. She had to be terribly ill and that's why she bit. Yes, I think you should have an autopsy. Did your boyfriend get checked for rabies? I think the dog needs to be used in order to find out if he had rabies so that your boyfriend will be safe. How long has it been? The dilation of the pupils and the other signs, the fear of the water of the bath...... you describe are very worrying to me. Do let us know.

I don't really know what to think. It is Saturday here and so it's only been a couple days. She never liked the water though. I gave her a bath right after we got her because she smelled of the humane society and she was never really happy in the tub. She never showed aggression toward me though... I just don't know what happened. :(

Irish

So sorry to hear of your loss. By all means, get the advice of professionals on this but I personally doubt if it was rabies. Unless your Humane Society was totally negligent, because where I live, dogs are thoroughly screened before being put up for adoption. I've never heard of them letting a dog get adopted that had even a chance of having rabies. It sounds to me like she had some other serious disorder, possibly a brain tumor, to cause the uneven diation. Let us know, again so sorry.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I agree, though, that your boyfriend ought to get checked out straight away. Behavior like that could also come from a bad heartworm infection. Please let us know what you learn.

candy722

That's terrible. Jenna probably snap due to being unconfortable or pain. Im sorry for your loss.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
could have been seizures of some sort, maybe even induced by the rabies vaccine. dogs tend to get disoriented coming out of a seizure and may feel threatened.

i would definitely dig her up and have her tested tho, just in case. it's the easier way rather than starting the rabies vacinations in a human, which is not a pleasant experience at all.

bubbatd

Please do check with a vet....the dog may have to be checked for rabies.....or your friend should get the shots.! This is nothing to fool with.!

showpug

If I remember correctly, it's too late for a necrospsy for rabies diagnosis. The brain has to be removed and preserved shortly after death to determine if rabies caused this dogs death.....but, I could be wrong, it's been a while since my vet clinic days :) You defiantly need to contact your vet to find out what to do, and if it's not too late, have a necropsy done. Your man needs to get to the doctor!!!! I believe rabies treatment is different now days and much easier on us humans. I believe the stomach shots are a thing of the past, but again, I could be wrong. Good luck and I am so sorry for what you went through. Very tragic and I feel for you. :(

poeluvr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's terrible. Jenna probably snap due to being unconfortable or pain. Im sorry for your loss
this sounds totally ubsurd and i am young but i remember watching oprah and this girl was allergic to water. i know i know myabe the rabies vaccine was too late cuz jenna already had rabies?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm at a loss for words. I feel so bad for both of you. I have to agree that right now make sure your boyfriend is okay.

Members online

No members online now.