So HOW many of us actually own Mazdas?

BostonBanker

The Mazda3 doesn't have anywhere near the cargo space as the Rav, but the CX-5 is HUGE and seats fold down flat. You can fit at least 3 60lb+ dogs back there. A customer of mine bought the 2014 Rav and a CX-5, we had them next to one another and they definitely have the same(ish) amount of space. Not that ending up with a Rav is a bad idea, because they rock.
Huh, I'm pretty sure the CX-5 is what he has. I'll have to double check on Monday. I'm looking for space with the rear seats up (I can fit both my crates behind the seats in my Rav-4) and it looked a lot smaller. I don't know him quite well enough to pull the "Hey, can I try shoving some stuff in the back of your car?" thing, so I just need to wait until I'm closer to ready to buy and go to dealers. I'd never even looked at Mazdas until people started mentioning them here, so I'm glad people talk car!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I was really interested to go see the one that is kind of comparable to the Rav-4 in size, but someone at work just got one, and it looks like the cargo space is TINY compared to the Toyota. I'm starting to think I'll just end up with another Rav-4.
Go check out the 2014 Subaru Forester. Seriously. It still has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, while the RAV4 just lowered theirs by a full 2 inches to try and improve their gas mileage. Plus, that whole "Motor Trend SUV of the Year" thing. ;)

I like a handful of Mazdas; some of the older 6's and then of course the Mazdaspeeds. I *may* have had a hand in Nolu acquiring her new MS3 ;)

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
We have a 2004 Mazda3. Standard. My husband bought it new when he graduated from college.

I love the car. It's fun to drive. We've never had an issue with it aside from regular maintenance.

I hate taking it for service. It seems that everybody around here that works on Mazdas are rude, abusive people.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Go check out the 2014 Subaru Forester. Seriously. It still has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, while the RAV4 just lowered theirs by a full 2 inches to try and improve their gas mileage. Plus, that whole "Motor Trend SUV of the Year" thing. ;)

I like a handful of Mazdas; some of the older 6's and then of course the Mazdaspeeds. I *may* have had a hand in Nolu acquiring her new MS3 ;)
This, too. I freaking love the Forester. Way better AWD system than Toyota, Honda, or Mazda, too.

And no you didn't. I WRESTLED THE KEYS OUT OF DIMA'S HANDS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOWROOM IN FRONT OF A CROWD OF PEOPLE. You definitely did not help. :p

Huh, I'm pretty sure the CX-5 is what he has. I'll have to double check on Monday. I'm looking for space with the rear seats up (I can fit both my crates behind the seats in my Rav-4) and it looked a lot smaller. I don't know him quite well enough to pull the "Hey, can I try shoving some stuff in the back of your car?" thing, so I just need to wait until I'm closer to ready to buy and go to dealers. I'd never even looked at Mazdas until people started mentioning them here, so I'm glad people talk car!
Just do it! I totally did that to a random stranger for Skittledoo when I visited. "Oh hey, want to see a Scion XD? There's one. Let me show you that one." They guy was THRILLED to show off his car to two ladies.

BostonBanker

Go check out the 2014 Subaru Forester. Seriously. It still has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, while the RAV4 just lowered theirs by a full 2 inches to try and improve their gas mileage. Plus, that whole "Motor Trend SUV of the Year" thing.
It is definitely high on the list; Rav-4, Forester, Escape (which I know people here seem to dislike, and I think will be too small cargo), Mazda, CR-V.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
This, too. I freaking love the Forester. Way better AWD system than Toyota, Honda, or Mazda, too.

And no you didn't. I WRESTLED THE KEYS OUT OF DIMA'S HANDS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOWROOM IN FRONT OF A CROWD OF PEOPLE. You definitely did not help. :p .
I'd been dangling that car at you since we took it in and you were all "nooo, i have a truck with acceleration problems, I don't need another car lol". Then you finally came over and saw it. And drove it.

And now it's in your driveway.

Torch

I have an 06 Mazda 3 hatchback. Love it. My first car was a Mazda protege, also the hatchback version. I would LOVE to have what Nolu has once I'm ready to buy a new car. Sure, they're smaller than an SUV, but still enough space for me.

And the dogs love it :)

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'd been dangling that car at you since we took it in and you were all "nooo, i have a truck with acceleration problems, I don't need another car lol". Then you finally came over and saw it. And drove it.

And now it's in your driveway.
Lies. Alli heard was that it was aPOS.

I didn't even come over to drive it. I was getting a new car that I beached on your lot.

Dekka

Just try me..
The mazda cx5 was on my list (I need a new car) as was the mitsubishi rvr. My dad was the business manager (after he retired from his regular job lol) for our local mazda dealership.

However I think I am going with a soul. I loved the one I drove and while its not fancy its got high safety ratings, and consumer reports gave it good marks for its class.

My poor little kia rio has been through the wringer and has been a great car, but its got some major issues and its not worth spending the money to fix it.

I have a new Mazda2 and love it. It's so funny, everyone here is like "your call is so small!" but having lived in the UK for almost 2 years, I just think it's average-sized (maybe even a touch roomy).

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
So, we took the Mazdas for a spin and while they were nice cars, I didn't really love the models we test drove (think "boring" midsized sedan type, nothing too zippy and fun :p).

We'll check out Subaru next weekend... The weather kind of put everything on hold the last couple of weekends.

I do have a question for the car sales people here and really just out of curiosity: how much of a markup is there from a dealership? Let's say you get car x on the lot. How much do you pay and how much do you sell it for? I understand different factors might come into play..

noludoru

Bored Now.
I have an 06 Mazda 3 hatchback. Love it. My first car was a Mazda protege, also the hatchback version. I would LOVE to have what Nolu has once I'm ready to buy a new car. Sure, they're smaller than an SUV, but still enough space for me.

And the dogs love it :)
I love your car. :rofl1: And you will love your next car if it's a Speed3. Wait until they come out with the new body style Speed3s, it's going to be ridiculous.

I have a new Mazda2 and love it. It's so funny, everyone here is like "your call is so small!" but having lived in the UK for almost 2 years, I just think it's average-sized (maybe even a touch roomy).
Mazda2s have a surprising amount of interior space! I'm more comfortable in the back seat of a Mazda2 on a test drive than I am in a C-Class.

So, we took the Mazdas for a spin and while they were nice cars, I didn't really love the models we test drove (think "boring" midsized sedan type, nothing too zippy and fun :p).

We'll check out Subaru next weekend... The weather kind of put everything on hold the last couple of weekends.

I do have a question for the car sales people here and really just out of curiosity: how much of a markup is there from a dealership? Let's say you get car x on the lot. How much do you pay and how much do you sell it for? I understand different factors might come into play..
Skip out on them, then. Mazda's are reliable and fuel efficient, but if you don't find them fun I see no reason to own one. You ought to LOVE the car you drive. Not just feel "meh" about it. It's a huge investment, so you need to be happy. At the end of the day, no one's opinion matters but your own - you are the one paying the car payment, after all. ;) (I could tell you what plenty of people I know think about my choices in cars. . . but at the end of the day, I love what I drive, so who cares?)

For new cars, it's all out there - it's not a big secret. Truecar, edmunds, even KBB I think has invoice and MSRP on their websites. Usually between $400-$3,000 of markup. On a $16,000 car, for instance, there's not enough markup there to buy a nice set of tires. On a $42,000 Mazda there's over $2,300. On a $42,000 Audi there's $2100 of markup. So, it varies? Assume 5% of MSRP. On American makes it's usually a lot more.

Used cars, who the hell knows. Your salesperson doesn't know unless management tells them. It could be listed for $2,000 less than we own it for. At Audi we sometimes has used cars with $10,000 of markup. It's all a gamble - you buy the car at or below market trade, you HOPE there's nothing wrong with it, you try to retail it and you hope you got your calculations correct and that you'll make at least $500 off it. At the Audi I worked at in VA you couldn't make money off of used cars at all, and we lost $800-1600 a car because our used manager was an idiot. I once gave someone $16,000 for their lexus when excellent trade in was $11,000. And it had THREE accidents on the Carfax. If someone walked in and said "I want this for my car!" we gave it to them. That's really not how life should work, but I can totally give you their info if you want to buy a car from them. :rofl1:

Lyzelle

I wish you could be my car person. Nolu or Zoom.

Either will work. Should we set up an auction? Bets?

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
This thread kind of makes me miss my Mazdaspeed.

However, I don't miss it enough to venture to that side again...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
There's more markup on a pair of jeans or a gallon of milk than on most foreign cars. Domestics brands are a whole 'nother story.

I wish you could drive out here. We pre-discount our cars, so the majority of our new cars are pretty much already to invoice the second you walk on the lot. Subarus essentially have NO markup to begin with and then half of them get sold for like $500-1000 BELOW invoice. We lose money on each new car we sell.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I wish you could be my car person. Nolu or Zoom.

Either will work. Should we set up an auction? Bets?
I will share sexual favors.

But not while you're buying the car. :rofl1:

This thread kind of makes me miss my Mazdaspeed.

However, I don't miss it enough to venture to that side again...
D'aww. <3 Was yours a ticking timebomb? (Speed3s are okay on reliability, but I got a 7yr/100k warranty just in case)

There's more markup on a pair of jeans or a gallon of milk than on most foreign cars. Domestics brands are a whole 'nother story.

I wish you could drive out here. We pre-discount our cars, so the majority of our new cars are pretty much already to invoice the second you walk on the lot. Subarus essentially have NO markup to begin with and then half of them get sold for like $500-1000 BELOW invoice. We lose money on each new car we sell.
So true.

Besides, Lyzelle said she was visiting CO. She needs to come hang with us while she's here. She could also buy a car.

Lyzelle

I will share sexual favors.

But not while you're buying the car. :rofl1:

Besides, Lyzelle said she was visiting CO. She needs to come hang with us while she's here. She could also buy a car.
Of course not! ;) But Yus, this needs to happen. Visiting all the awesome CO people.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
D'aww. <3 Was yours a ticking timebomb? (Speed3s are okay on reliability, but I got a 7yr/100k warranty just in case)
Actually, I never had a single problem out of it. It was a fun car and took corners like no other, but it's just not what I need in my life right now. Husband is planning for a NSX down the road so I'll just steal it when I want a fun to drive car.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Actually, I never had a single problem out of it. It was a fun car and took corners like no other, but it's just not what I need in my life right now. Husband is planning for a NSX down the road so I'll just steal it when I want a fun to drive car.
I understand that. It happens. You can come visit and drive either of mine if you need a Speed fix, then. :p But you have to bring at least one of the Doxies along.

Members online