Mashed potatoes....

My side of choice - except when eating indian/chinese food - then rice is preferred.

I eat it with so much - cheese, chicken, meat, veggies.... I'm whipping up a small batch right now in fact.

Any other fans here? and how do you guys like yours?

I like doing mine with milk, butter, and cream (if available). Seasonings are usually the proverbial salt and pepper but can range to malt vinegar, pieces of cooked fruit, chives, onions, crushed garlic, bits of bacon....

Romy

Taxiderpy
Mine with tons of garlic, the way Outback Steakhouse makes it.

Then with awesome style shepherd pie. Basically a layer of roasted/shredded barbecue beef on the bottom, garlic mashed potatoes on top, covered in melted crispy cheddar cheese. nom.

Lyzelle

In a Beef Manhattan.

Bread on the bottom, them Mashed Potatoes, topped with the beef/gravy mix. Mmmm. Or turkey.

thehoundgirl

I like potatos different ways.. just not mashed. :eek: I am not a big fan of them being baked either. I'm more of a sweet potato fan. :p

milos_mommy

Putting sour cream into them makes them SO delicious.

Ranch dressing works, too.

I prefer them coated in gravy.

Assamiea

I usually make mine with garlic, milk, and bacon. Or ranch or Caesar salad dressing if I don't have anything else to add in.

If I'm having them with a traditional holiday meal then my stuffing, cranberry sauce and vegetables usually all get mixed into the potatoes- on my own plate, guests are free to do as they please with their mashed potatoes.

This may sound kind of gross, but when I make instant mashed potatoes I add in mustard. Not a whole lot, but if you add in a little into the Costco brand that my parents sometimes buy then they taste really good.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I love mashed potatoes with garlic & cheese. Unfortunately we don't eat them here because they make me fat :(

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Mashed potatoes are my favorite food!!! I knew we were soulmates. ^-^ I also love chopped and mashed red potatoes with skin on and lots of butter, sour cream and some lemon juice. Mmmmmmmm

I'll share my recipe for how I'd ideally make them:

Yukon gold potatoes. 6 - 8 of them, sliced in about quarter inch portions. Covered with salt laden cold water and boiled on medium heat for around...20 minutes.

Cream
Copious amounts of butter
Salt
Pepper

On the side...

Chives
Soft cheese
Garlic
Crispy bacon
Chicken
Pork hock
Soft beef