asking around for schnauzer

Kagome100

I love my boy friend
thank you alot for all the posts. We did find a breeder a hour away with black and salt pepper puppies and there only 200 :). So we are going this Sat to take a look at them, they did send us pics of them and they sure are cute so we got to look at them better and ask a ton of questions to make sure there healthy and every thing.

oh and we did go by the shelter they had a few schnauzer type dogs but they were big like 25+ pounds :\ not sure what they were mixed with tho they did not know.

Dekka

Just try me..
If you are buying a pup for 200 you will have the same predicatability as the one from the shelter.

Sigh.. why would you support a BYB?

Just to put in perspective.. unless they are independantly wealthy.. they are going to be skimping in all sorts of ways. I figure it costs at least 350 a puppy JUST IN COSTS if everything goes perfectly and taking out any showing costs!!! how they can be selling them for less :rolleyes:

By buying from a BYB...
You will be standing a VERY high chance of behaviour or health problems, as well as lack of Shnauzerness at that price.

You will be directly contributing to the overpopulation problem in your country.

All to save a little money at the outset. (but I can guarantee you it will cost you more in teh long run)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
thank you alot for all the posts. We did find a breeder a hour away with black and salt pepper puppies and there only 200 :). So we are going this Sat to take a look at them, they did send us pics of them and they sure are cute so we got to look at them better and ask a ton of questions to make sure there healthy and every thing.

oh and we did go by the shelter they had a few schnauzer type dogs but they were big like 25+ pounds :\ not sure what they were mixed with tho they did not know.
Glad to see you listened. :wall:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If they are only $200 I can guarantee you that this person is BYB with no health testing beyond "Yeah, the mom had her shots last year". They will not have screened for genetic diseases, proven the dog's temperament or worthiness to be bred in any way beyond the "cute factor" and you will quite likely end up with a pup that is wormy and stands a good chance of developing some issue that will more than make up the $300 you think you are saving yourself by not going to a reputable breeder.

:(

Boxer, even though you have wisely been absent the last few days, let me clarify something.

There are so many purebreds in shelters right now it's mind-boggling. 90% of the rescue listings I get in my in-box each and every day are for dogs that were dumped because the owner was moving, got tired of taking care of them, or didn't realize that the cute little $200 fluff bundle they picked out of someone's newspaper ad would grow up to be a giant shedding dog with no built-in concept of proper manners because people seem to have this idea that dogs just magically know what "sit" and "come" mean.

Yes, there are dogs in shelters with behavioral problems. Sometimes they are more than just not having any training, but any good shelter will be aware of that fact and duly note it to any potential adopters.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
DigitalDog: Advice to Help You Recognize a Responsible, Caring and Quality Breeder

Your breeder MUST do CERF testing for eyes. Schnauzers can have PRA. I would also expect OFA x-rays for hips. There is also a DNA test that can be done to find out if a dog is a carrier for myotonia.

Call this "breeder" up and ask her about what kind of health testing she does. She won't have done any... I would put money on it.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
How large are schnauzer litters?

For chihuahuas (averaging 1-5 puppies in a litter, but normally 2-4), $200/puppy wouldn't even cover prenatal care for the mom, high quality food, vaccines and vet checks for mom/puppies, and that's not even including health testing, outside stud fees, showing costs, etc, etc.

I just couldn't imagine "cheaping out" on a puppy and supporting an unethical breeder at the same time. Especially on a breed prone to many health issues.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Talk to your mom, you need to realize something.

7 years ago i was just like YOU, all i wanted was a cute dog and breeders were so expensive that I decided I would save a couple of bucks and buy my cute little bichon frise at a backyard breeder from the newspaper. why not? i didnt want a show dog or papers, i just wanted a cute puppy! My mom told me she wouldn't even think of spending more than $300 for a pup so we went to go see the breeder, picked out a pup and brought him home

3 days later, the puppy came down with distemper, over $2000 in vet fees later, he did recover. Now he has MANY other genetic problems, that do cost a lot to keep up with, problems with his heart, knees, joints ect..

We could've saved all that money and heartbreak if we would've just gone to a GOOD breeder. all the things charlie has wrong with him could've been spotted and stopped if she had health tested her dogs.

You aren't just doing the wrong thing by going to one of those "cheap" breeders. you are doing a STUPID thing.

Charlie costed us $250 but if you add that up with the $2000 for distemper, $1000 surgery for his knees, and of course the heart xrays, medications, ect.. ect..
we've spend A LOT of money on him.

Now if we would've went to a GOOD breeder, Charlie mightve costed us a bit more AT FIRST. but all those other vet expenses WOULD NOT HAVE EXISTED. a good breeder would NEVER let a breeding like that happen, and if something does happen to your dog, they stand behind you and help.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Talk to your mom, you need to realize something.

7 years ago i was just like YOU, all i wanted was a cute dog and breeders were so expensive that I decided I would save a couple of bucks and buy my cute little bichon frise at a backyard breeder from the newspaper. why not? i didnt want a show dog or papers, i just wanted a cute puppy! My mom told me she wouldn't even think of spending more than $300 for a pup so we went to go see the breeder, picked out a pup and brought him home

3 days later, the puppy came down with distemper, over $2000 in vet fees later, he did recover. Now he has MANY other genetic problems, that do cost a lot to keep up with, problems with his heart, knees, joints ect..

We could've saved all that money and heartbreak if we would've just gone to a GOOD breeder. all the things charlie has wrong with him could've been spotted and stopped if she had health tested her dogs.

You aren't just doing the wrong thing by going to one of those "cheap" breeders. you are doing a STUPID thing.

Charlie costed us $250 but if you add that up with the $2000 for distemper, $1000 surgery for his knees, and of course the heart xrays, medications, ect.. ect..
we've spend A LOT of money on him.

Now if we would've went to a GOOD breeder, Charlie mightve costed us a bit more AT FIRST. but all those other vet expenses WOULD NOT HAVE EXISTED. a good breeder would NEVER let a breeding like that happen, and if something does happen to your dog, they stand behind you and help.
Great post, Fran.

Threads like this really hit close to home because my husband and I did a VERY stupid thing 4 years ago.

We were both in college and wanted a puppy, and knew nothing about dogs. We knew we wanted a chihuahua, though, so we found an ad in the paper for a litter of chihuahuas.

After getting to the house, there was only one puppy left. He was in a rubbermaid tub full of cedar shavings, and smelled terrible. We couldn't leave him there... sooo we paid the $375 for him.

He was a cute puppy. Floppy ears, bow legs, an underbite, a long snout... everything a well bred chihuahua isn't supposed to have.

Anyway, he had worms and an ear infection so we had to spend a good bit of money at the initial vet appointment.

He would do this crazy growling thing as an 8 week old puppy... would shake and snarl and bite. We thought he was just playing and would grow out of it. He would submissively pee on the floor... and had major crate aggression issues as he grew older.

We eventually had to rehome him to a single dog home with a trainer who lost her chihuahua last year.

This is what happened to our cute puppy from the newspaper. Major dog aggression, even towards other chis (which the breed ISN'T supposed to have) along with a whole medley of other aggression issues.

Please don't support a breeder like this. You've been on this forum for 5 years and should know better.

Gypsydals

Schnauzers are also known for forming stones AND having seizures. Neither one of those is cheap to take care of. While I haven't dealt with stones (thankfully), I have dealt with seizures and it is not fun. Its heartbreaking and it gets expensive. No matter how "good" of a price you think you are paying, its not that good in the end.

Fran27

We got our first puppy for cheap too.

Now he has temperament issues that you should not find in his breed... because he was bred badly by people who only cared about money and not about breeding a healthy and good-temperament puppy. With the training sessions we've had to do so far it would have cost us less to get a dog from a good breeder.

But you'll probably learn the hard way too.

Kagome100

I love my boy friend
Well we went today to look we were going to do it tomorrow but we got off work today early. They were so cute i loved them all but it was up to my mom. She has her mind stuck on ONE dog..... a female black purebred schnauzer so we could not get one from them. They did have a black but it was a male.
We even got to see the mom and dad dog and they were very sweet the pups were jumping around playing.

we also went by the shelter again they had no schnauzers there.

and the pup is up to my MOM only, i cant not tell her not go get from these people its all up to her. She only wants a black female pup no older than 12 weeks.

i was only asking if any one knew of any breeders near me :\

any way this breeder does have papers showing all vet checks and every thing shows what vet gave what shot to the pup and when it had it. Shows all de worming done.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
and the pup is up to my MOM only, i cant not tell her not go get from these people its all up to her. She only wants a black female pup no older than 12 weeks.
It may be up to your mom.. but YOU are the one asking. Print out the thread and give it to her. You've been given good advice. Share it with her. Educate her. There is no excuse that you are getting an education and not tryign to help her make a better choice. You will have to live with this puppy too.

i was only asking if any one knew of any breeders near me :\
And pointing out the byb next door and sending you on your merry way would be irresponsible as hopefully most of the board is educated and knows better.

any way this breeder does have papers showing all vet checks and every thing shows what vet gave what shot to the pup and when it had it. Shows all de worming done.
That's nice. You were told MORE than once that vet checks is NOT health testing. Other people have pointed out that schnauzers have a myriad of issues. A regular check up is NOT health testing. Giving the puppies shots should be standard. Also NOT health testing.

PRA, CERF, OFA.. IS health testing. There shoudl be paperwork PROVING that the bitch and sire were health tested pre mating.

THIS is why you don't pay 200 dollars for a puppy. It shouldn't be a discount bargain. If it's a bargain you will likely pay more in the long run. Please help educate your mom and maybe yourself too.

Mini schnauzer club of America The American Miniature Schnauzer Club - Home

Breeder list (starting point you still have to research them) The American Miniature Schnauzer Club - Contact

Breed clubs code of ethics The American Miniature Schnauzer Club - Code of Ethics

Health The American Miniature Schnauzer Club - Health

Minimum health clearances Canine Health Information Center

Maybe toning the 'advice' down a bit for someone who's obviously young would help....

These threads always get so accusitory, it's no wonder people either don't come back or ignore the less than friendly edumacation......:rolleyes:

Gypsydals

Does that breeder have the results of the health testing that should be done? The Schnauzer club recomends Cerf (eye testing), Congenital Cardiac testing and Myotonia Congenita ( which is Optional but recomended). I'm not sure if there is other health testing that should or could be done.
That is the kind of testings we have been talking about not regular vet checks and shots.

Dekka

Just try me..
Maybe toning the 'advice' down a bit for someone who's obviously young would help....

These threads always get so accusitory, it's no wonder people either don't come back or ignore the less than friendly edumacation......:rolleyes:
I agree, but in this case there are pages of very nice polite edumacation. It didn't seem to work. So then there was more fairly nice education.. Where do you go from here?

Sometimes people do need a metaphorical slap in the face with the truth about these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but in this case there are pages of very nice polite edumacation. It didn't seem to work. So then there was more fairly nice education.. Where do you go from here?

Sometimes people do need a metaphorical slap in the face with the truth about these things.
The phlegm started to fly on page one. As far as the metaphorical slap, shouldn't they be old enough and savvy enough to understand what they're being slapped for?

How many on here know how to complete a material balance calculation (by hand)? I suspect not many, unless employed as current or former engineers. Does that make ANYONE in need of a slap???
This person is obviously not dog savvy at all. Health testing really did mean Vet check to this person.....doesn't mean they need the information smacked into them.

I see this time and time again lately. It starts with a very innocent question and at first the responses are polite and helpful. Then someone feels the need to get snotty and way too many people join in on the 'education through condescension/intimidation when really, the OP is simply and genuinely doesn't even KNOW what they don't know.....

Sometimes we forget just how much very basic dog related information some people DON'T have.

Dekka

Just try me..
I just re read the thread (skipping the Snark with Boxer) I dont' see snark at the beginning.. perhaps you are reading in snark (as you seem to be on the 'lookout' for it) that isn't there. That is one of the hard things about forum life.. you can't read 'intent'.

I see someone who said they had read on the forum, has read up on the breed who got great advice.. and then came back and was whoohoo I found a great pup.

But it doesn't seem they took ANY of the advice that was given. And really I don't think anyone was rude about the vet check not equalling health testing. It is hard for some people to grasp.. I felt the post about it was clairifying not nasty in anyway. But really if you have done lots of research I would think if you are old enough to be on the forum you should be able to comprehend at least some of the basics about the breed and finding good breeders.

I just re read the thread (skipping the Snark with Boxer) I dont' see snark at the beginning.. perhaps you are reading in snark (as you seem to be on the 'lookout' for it) that isn't there. That is one of the hard things about forum life.. you can't read 'intent'.

I see someone who said they had read on the forum, has read up on the breed who got great advice.. and then came back and was whoohoo I found a great pup.

But it doesn't seem they took ANY of the advice that was given. And really I don't think anyone was rude about the vet check not equalling health testing. It is hard for some people to grasp.. I felt the post about it was clairifying not nasty in anyway. But really if you have done lots of research I would think if you are old enough to be on the forum you should be able to comprehend at least some of the basics about the breed and finding good breeders.

OK Dekka, and round and round we go.........................

One post was deleted and you obviously didn't read the first page. You see what you want to see. I see you in many of the threads that I was referring to...

Dekka

Just try me..
But I actually SAT BESIDE someone posting and I can tell you they were tying to be helpful and nice. So you can say what you want.. but I KNOW the intent of the post.

I am not a mod so no I can't see a deleted post. But its a bit rude to say I didnt' read something that I can't see. I only read when this thread got brought back up.

I have to say why keep being sweetly nice when its not working? I didn't intend to be mean.. a bit harsh yes.. but the reality that byb dogs have to live in often IS harsh.

Sorry I am a bit passionate about people NOT supporting BYB and mills. As someone who works in rescue I see nice people who never really saw the problem (oh people told us but we didn't really believe them till it happened to us) with getting a 'cheap' puppy.

Members online

No members online now.