My cat has a dandruff problem

My older Siamese cat, Hootie has always had a bit of a dandruff (dry skin) problem. I really notice it when I brush her. Is there anything that I can do about it?

Thanks!

My cat has the same problem and I know it is from her food (IAMS) but I cant get her off of it. STUBBORN cat.

I'm already feeding her a high quality food but I'm wanting to switch all of my dogs and cats to Innova. Thanks for the help....that's kind of what I was thinking was wrong.

Carolyn

ZooMaster!!
Hi there :) Are there any sores or spots that are accompanying the dandruff?

Do you bath puss occasionally?

Is her fur falling out at all?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get a bigger picture :)

I've never bathed her.....she would freak out probably and scratch me. She has no spots that look red or where hair is falling out....actually her fur looks nice and shiny. I do brush her quite often.

I'm going to try adding some oil to my cats diet and see if that helps at all.

Carolyn

ZooMaster!!
Hey you're very welcome :) thats what we all do here help each other when we can :)

My Becker gets this occasionally, and I'm forever checking him for sores and stuff, thats why I asked lol.

If her coat is shiny, she is otherwise healthy and her skin doesn't seem irritated at all, then I wouldn't worry too much.

In regards to the bath, Becker does get a bath. Not often though, and he comes up beautifully. I use a tea tree oil shampoo for him and the dogs. It's all natural, and leaves them smelling beautiful.

I have a suggestion though. If she would really freak with a bath, try giving her a rub down with a damp cloth. Just really gently. Treat the cloth as if you were patting her softly. As we know a bath does remove old dead skin cells, dander and dirt. So it does give them great benefits. As well as the brushing :) Just wait till a time when she is relaxed and cuddly with you, and just have the cloth near by and start stroking her with it, like you would a rub down. Make it a really special time for you and her, and hopefully she will come to love that as much as she does say when you give her a brushing :)

I hope that helps

Carolyn

Carolyn

ZooMaster!!
Hiya :) There's my dilemma I'm in Australia lol, so not sure where to go about getting it, in your neck of the woods. I don't find it in Pet shops as you would, but rather in pet sections of department stores, if that makes any sense?

It cost's me $2.50 for a big 500 ml bottle. The shampoo itself is yellow in color. Is made from natural tea tree oil, foams up really well, and just leaves their coats glorious. I believe you have what they call Walmart over there? We have similar stores here, just called different things :) Thats where you might find it. Even do a search online in your area, I'm sure you will find it somewhere. If we get it here, then you guys would be able to get it too.

Good luck with Hootie's bath. Remember don't stress though, if she is really gonna freak out, try the gentle rub down with a damp cloth first. I see you're in Oregon is that correct? I'll do a search too and see if I can find out for you the closest place in which you can get the shampoo.

Good luck and let us know how you go

Caz :)

Thanks Carolyn...yes...we do have Walmarts here. I've never seen anything like that there with the pet shampoos. I did look online and saw some places where I could order it. It sounds great. Thanks so much for your help.

How do you like it in Australia? It looks so beautiful and it's always been somewhere I want to go travel to. My husband would like to retire in New Zealand. It's so far away....I'm not sure that I can be away from my kids like that. YIKES!!! Mom is a baby!!;)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
You can try wild salmon oil or a good quality fish oil (not cod liver oil). It's high in omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for the skin. Most cats really enjoy the taste.

Alternatively, if she doesn't like the fish oil, see if she will eat canned salmon. Make sure it's wild caught, farmed salmon is more likely to be contaminated with all kinds of things.

Carolyn

ZooMaster!!
How do you like it in Australia? It looks so beautiful and it's always been somewhere I want to go travel to. My husband would like to retire in New Zealand. It's so far away....I'm not sure that I can be away from my kids like that. YIKES!!! Mom is a baby!!;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks :) What can I say it's my home. It is a beautiful place. I know all places have their own kinds of beauty though. I think its diversity is one of the things that makes it so attractive. At the moment though we are in summer. And Aussie summers aren't fun. I also don't cope with the heat very well. Also I'm Melbourne born and bred, and Melbourne is notorious for very silly weather. It's not unusual, and happens often that Melbourne gets a taste of all 4 seasons in one week. Like today its 36degrees C, and last week we had our heaters on. :confused: It's ever changing. When it does this, I often find the body doesn't cope well. Constant weather changes bring on ailments such as colds, hayfever asthma etc. And I suffer with the latter two all year around.

But in saying that, I can't see myself ever living anywhere else. Another state in Australia maybe. My hubby is from up North (Queensland), and he loves the heat. He was born and grew up in Wales, so he hates the cold hehe. So maybe when the boys are grown up we might move from Victoria (my state). Ya never know :)

skyeblue

mut and proud of it!
I'm not sure but I think evening primrose oil works but that might just be for molting Im not too sure Ill have to check...

Members online

No members online now.