vibes please....

Write it all down, even the knick-knacks and supplies. That does two things: it accounts for more things they've insured and it shows that you are keeping track and are unlikely to be steamrolled. ;)

On the stuff like furnace, electrical, etc., call an appropriate contractor and get estimated costs for replacement. The faster you get on that the closer to the front of the line you are ;)

Don't forget installation costs on appliances, etc., too.

The insurance adjusters are going to be looking for items to cut -- better to wrangle over installation costs, especially if you can do it yourself if necessary, than over actual items.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Write it all down, even the knick-knacks and supplies. That does two things: it accounts for more things they've insured and it shows that you are keeping track and are unlikely to be steamrolled. ;)

On the stuff like furnace, electrical, etc., call an appropriate contractor and get estimated costs for replacement. The faster you get on that the closer to the front of the line you are ;)

Don't forget installation costs on appliances, etc., too.

The insurance adjusters are going to be looking for items to cut -- better to wrangle over installation costs, especially if you can do it yourself if necessary, than over actual items.
This^

and installation of some appliances is easy Im sure I can get Jeremy to sit down and send you a message step by step on FB if you need it :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))) and ~~~~~~~~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~~~~~~~~~and many prayers that you will soon be able to recover what you can, replace what you can't and be able to go on in peace. I am very sorry for all of this your going through.Be careful to take care of your health so that the stress doesn't make it even harder to go on. It is too easy to force your way through the clean up and not eat or rest properly.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
document everything that is said by anyone. there will be liars and cheats popping out of the woodwork. and make sure construction people are bonded and insured.

i wish you did not have to go thru this.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh gosh. (((((((HUGS))))))) and I'll be thinking of you. That sucks. =< I'm so sorry.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
That is so terrible! I am so sorry! I hope all the insurance stuff goes over smoothly!

((((HUGS))))

Doberluv

Oh gosh! (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))How traumatic! But you might be surprised, depending on your insurance co. I had two claims in a house quite some time ago. I think it was State Farm and they gave me no trouble at all. In fact, the adjuster even volunteered all kinds of things I never imagined would be covered as far as re-painting areas that seemingly had not much to do with the original damage area and all kinds of new stuff. They were very good, prompt and agreeable. With the state of emergency, that should really help. Sometimes, believe it or not, these things can wind up being a blessing in disguise. You'll get all new stuff. I hope you didn't lose too much stuff that is non replaceable like photos or mementos. Hang in there and keep us posted on how the re-building goes. (((hugs)))

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
ow and also this just came to mind , a lot of people insurance screwed them here because of their policies did not have a wind clause and they said they damage was from the wind and not covered.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Oh my gosh, that's terrible! :(

I hope that the ball gets rolling with your insurance company ASAP!!!

Lots of (((((((((((VIBES)))))))))))) sent!

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Sorry about all the damage...but glad to hear everyone is okay.

Lots of ((((vibes)))) to help with the insurance stuff.

My daughter went thru Irene last year in the house she rented. The landlord has cancelled the flood insurance 3 mos. before the flood when he paid the house off because he had never used in the the 20 yr since he bought the house. Definitely contact FEMA and the Red Cross. The Red Cross gave them alot of cleaning supplies, trash bags, papertowels, water, etc. FEMA gave them cash towards living expenses and towards the damages too. Other local organizations also came around with items to help out. The town contracted for dumpsters to be placed on each block for everyone to use at no charge to discard ruined items.

Moldf will be a big problem. Tearing out the wet drywall and insulation and carpeting as soon as possible will help. Get a good supply of bleach to spray down the studs and anything else mold shows up on. Hopefully you didn't end up with the thick, stinking mud that permeated everything inside and out.

Also be careful and find a good, reputable contractor to do the work. The con artists come out in droves in times like this unfortunately.

Sending prayrers that the claims and work goes smoothly & as quickly as possible for you.

Dekka

Just try me..
Glad you, Muffin, and Walsh are ok!!

If there is anyway I could help (not that I can think of anything.. but you know) the offer is there.

Hope things get sorted more quickly!

xpaeanx

Hi again everyone. :)

So I just want to thank everyone for their good thoughts, I think they have helped.

Where things stand now:
MY STREET GOT POWER LATE THIS AFTERNOON! That is amazing! I still have no heat/hot water however due to the damage in the basement. We are in the midst of cleanup. The basment has been pumped out and cleaned. The furnace has been taken apart, cleaned and is now drying. The majority of the large debris from the yard has also been cleaned up... we managed to fill a rather large dumpster. :( 5 trees were lost, which apparently trees are usually covered so I will be claiming them as well. The floor has been taken up and cleaned and some of the walls have been opened up so that they can dry out.

In terms of insurance, the house is covered under a hurricane rider which raises the deductable from 1k to 5k for damage. Gov Cuomo says he is waiving deductables for NY residents. I'm not sure yet if they have classified Sandy as a hurricane for a tropical storm as I haven't had that much time to really research it. That could make a difference in terms of what is/isn't covered. For me personally, it is better if it is a hurricane... for a lot of other people it's the other way around. As it is, there is damage that will not be covered, like my car that got flooded. I also have been saving reciepts for the food, the dumpsters, the chainsaw, the shop vac, and all the other things that were needed.

In terms of living, it is amazing to get power back. I think tomorrow I will be buying a space heater, because it is just freezing. It doesn't matter how many blankets I cover myself with at night, or even that I go to bed fully clothed... I just can't get the damp chill out of my bones. Someone thought it would be funny to egg all the cars on my block which just sickens me to death. Everyone on my block had major damage, so I have no idea how you could then egg their cars. And Long Island has run out of gas. I have 3/4 tank in my car and an extra 6 gallons. I am going to try not to make trips anywhere and I will wait til the weekend. Depending on the estimates of when we will get gas again, and if classes are going to be held again starting next week... I may need to actually take all the cans I can find and drive out of NY to find gas and bring it back. I know that sounds extreme, but I honestly can not risk missing class and having my grades drop... and I will not be able to make it back and forth on the gas I have. And there is no bus service for where I need to go.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Is there anything you need brought to you? I may be making a trip to NJ (Bayonne) tomorrow--my brother in law and his family live there, and are without power, gas, etc.

Let me know if there is something I can do. I know how hard all of this is.

xpaeanx

Thank you bax for the offer. :) But, I'm a very far hike away from NJ. lol. Also, for the most part I'm good. I have all the basics, the only real thing is gas and heat... but if it comes down to me needing gas by Sunday I will be able to go pick some more up(I have a lot of gas cans to fill so I should be able to get a lot) and in terms of heat... I'll probably go buy a space heater and we might even get the furnace going in the next day or so.

I hope your brother-in-law faired well through the storm and his only loss was electric!

Members online

No members online now.