Chihuahuas

Equinox

I know there are a few Chihuahua people here on this forum, and was hoping to learn more about them. Jessie's post on the thread "Toy Breeds" was very helpful, but I'm also hoping to get information on breeders as well.

I'm doing the initial research for my sister, who is set on getting a Chihuahua in the next few years. I'm concerned that she will find a less than stellar breeder and end up with a Chi that is shy and nervy or of poor health, like many Chihuahuas I see in the neighborhood.

Questions:

- How much exercise do they require, on average? I am out 3-5 hours a day exercising with my GSD, but my younger sister cannot be persuaded to walk for more than 30-45 minutes a day at a slow pace.

- How good are they for first time dog owners?

- Generally, are they an affectionate, lap dog breed? My sister does not see dogs as an accessory, but she wants a dog she can cuddle with and a dog that will be content to sit still with her. I've stressed before that they are dogs and need enough exercise and mental as well as physical stimulation, so she should understand this as well.

- What are the common health problems within the breed? What is the minimum health testing that all breeders should be expected to perform on their breeding dogs?

- How much can one expect to pay for a pet quality Chihuahua? This is not actually a contributing factor in our choice, but I would like my sister to know how much she should expect to pay initially.

- How do I go about finding a good breeder? Any breeder recommendations? I know a lot of people will tell me to attend a dog show, but I have and to be honest, left with a VERY bad taste in my mouth when it came to the toy breeds. The handlers and breeders were not helpful or willing to talk, even though I made sure to catch them at a time when they were not preoccupied.

I have gone online to the Chihuahua Club of America (Chihuahua Club of America) and found no breeders in Oregon. I found 2 in Washington State, one of which had very little information on the website. The other breeder in Washington State seemed okay and conscientious as far as their breeding program and their dogs. Their kennel name is Diadem Chihuahuas (DIADEM CHIHUAHUAS).

I also found a breeder in Santa Cruz I liked, Loma Chihuahuas (Loma Chihuahuas HOME AND KENNEL). They are 11 hours away, though, which makes things difficult...

Any other recommendations for breeders in the Oregon/West coast area? Any other information as far as the breed, things to keep in mind, etc?

Much appreciated!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I typed out a long response yesterday, and my internet closed out on me :yikes: If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask :D I love talking chihuahua.

Questions:

- How much exercise do they require, on average?

As much as you want to give them, really. Ours go outside in our yard multiple times a day, and I'll run/play with them out there. We also try to do walks a few times a week. They'll do zoomies through the house with each other as well.

As long as you're willing to socialize/train your chihuahua (which is SO important!), it should be fine. Please tell your sister to keep in mind that they aren't just cute little lap dogs... they have a LOT of terrier like qualities in their personalities, and can become major brats if they aren't raised right.

- Generally, are they an affectionate, lap dog breed?

Yes. Mine are always on my lap or next to me. They choose to sleep under my covers in my bed against me as well.

- What are the common health problems within the breed? What is the minimum health testing that all breeders should be expected to perform on their breeding dogs?

Common health issues are luxating patella (slipping knee caps), collapsing traechea (which can be prevented by using a harness and not a collar), and hypoglycemia (typically brought on by stress/ not enough sugar in their blood... can affect puppies and smaller chis for the most part).

Unfortunately, a lot of small dog breeders don't feel health testing is necessary, so it's VERY important to make sure you find a breeder who does so. There are SO MANY chis plagued with LP out there.

Health tests that I feel are most important are:

Patella OFA
Cardiac OFA

CERF and BAER are also becoming more common amongst chi breeders.

- How much can one expect to pay for a pet quality Chihuahua?

Depending on the breeder/location, expect to pay anywhere from $600 (low end... which is pretty uncommon) to $1500. Personally, I feel as if $700-1200 is reasonable for a pet quality chihuahua.

Avoid breeders who label their chihuahuas as "teacups" or any variation of the word. A good breeder will not charge more for "rare" colors, either, as there is no such thing as a "rare color." Chis can come in any color and markings.

Also, the breed standard calls for an apple domed head. Avoid any breeder breeding for "deer heads."

- How do I go about finding a good breeder? Any breeder recommendations?

I really don't know of many breeders on the west coast. I can ask around and see what I can find out for you, though.

I know House of Chis is in Oregon... she has some beautiful dogs...

A Chi breeders site - AKC Chihuahua Breeder Exhibitor located in Portland Oregon, show and pet puppies for sale

Thing is with the CCA, not many breeders are listed.

I'd really recommend going to a show (even though you don't want to) and speaking with breeders there. Not all show breeders are bad... but I do agree a lot of them are elitist in the chi world.

I've never heard of Diadem or Loma, although both look decent... I'd contact them and see if they health test and ask for more information. Both sites are hard to navigate and are cluttered.

Any other recommendations for breeders in the Oregon/West coast area? Any other information as far as the breed, things to keep in mind, etc?

The only legit registry in the USA in the AKC... avoid breeders who register their chis with CKC (Continental), etc.

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
How much exercise do they require, on average? I am out 3-5 hours a day exercising with my GSD, but my younger sister cannot be persuaded to walk for more than 30-45 minutes a day at a slow pace.

I think they are great for first time dog owners, Romeo is babysat often by a woman that has never owned a dog and she loves him lol People have told me he has many of the same mannerisms as a cat.

They are small of course, great for dog owners not used to the huge size. Generally healthy, cuddly, sweet, etc..

Training is important with these little guys, more so than most dogs I think because its SO EASY to baby them. They are just so cute and little.. its tempting to just say to hell with it and let them do whatever they want lol

- Generally, are they an affectionate, lap dog breed?

YES!! lol chis are known to be cuddly, people oriented, burrow under the covers and sleep..kinda dogs.
hes VERY affectionate, socialization is important because they tend to bond very closely with their owners but with that are very friendly affectionate sweet dogs :)
Romeo is never more than a few feet from me at any given time lol

Jessie covered it lol

- How much can one expect to pay for a pet quality Chihuahua? This is not actually a contributing factor in our choice, but I would like my sister to know how much she should expect to pay initially.

Puppies I've seen from $950+ , I'm not really sure.. I'm not a puppy person.

but adult chis from breeders for pet rehomes are usually $200+ . usually just the price of shipping and rabies or whatever

- How do I go about finding a good breeder? Any breeder recommendations?

heres how I found Romeos breeder:
Chihuahua Club of America

and Romeos breeder:
Tip's Chihuahuas - Welcome to Tip's Chihuahuas
Shes in indiana.. no litters expecting I don't think, but I LOVE HER :) Romeo is such a doll and she was so helpful and ready to answer my countless emails lol

She raw feeds, health tests, and raises such sweet well mannered dogs.

and here are a few breeders she works with..

Temple Chihuahuas
(this is where Romeos father is originally from)

Welcome to Windsong Chihuahuas

Darkens / Breeder & Exhibitor of AKC Chihuahuas, Puppies Occasionally, Located in Oregon

Lots of training and socialization :) same with any dog! Chis get away with growling, biting, etc.. because people baby them and don't train them.

I would suggest a good harness, Puppia is my favorite personally, there is some debate on walking chis/small breeds with collars, but personally, better safe than sorry, I use a harness.

Romeo was shipped to me Delta and I think it was a great experience, but spend EXTRA time getting to know the breeder if you want your pup shipped. LOTS of phone time, emails, pictures etc..
so I wouldn't limit yourself to breeders closeby if you can.

Chis are lovely dogs, but ADDICTING! lol I already want another!

I did the Chi GSD combo in a household and it worked out very well for us :) we dont allow unsupervised play (just in case..Romeo is about the size of kenyas head lol) but usually, Chis stand very well on their own and do quite well with larger brothers/sisters
Romeo pretty much rules the roost lol he has no idea how small he is! and thats another chi problems lol

NAPOLEON COMPLEX doesn't even begin to describe lol

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Woops forgot a question

lol as for exercise, I think what your sis can do is more than enough. Romeo enjoys his walks twice a day, but I've had weeks where I just let him out to potty and do indoor play/games and hes fine..

30 minutes a day is fine IMO :) they will walk as much as you let them, Romeo is an active little dog, but its easy for him to play and have fun indoors because of his size.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I agree with Fran about retired adults, or even show prospects that didn't work out.

In 99% of cases from GOOD show breeders, these dogs will be sent to their new homes with neuters, dentals, up to date on all vaccines, etc, etc for VERY reasonable prices. They will already be trained, since they are retired show dogs or dogs who were being handled from the beginning as show dogs.

Equinox

Wow - big thanks for the great replies! I was hoping both of you would see this thread :)

By the way, Jessie, I hate it when I type up a nice long reply and lose it! I usually just end up stomping my foot in frustration and give up, so thanks for replying again ;)

I am happy to hear about the exercise requirements of this breed, and surprised (pleasantly so) to hear the price range. I was fully expecting $2000 - $3000 for a pet quality pup, as I understand that toy breeds tend to go for higher... but the prices sound a lot better than what I see most GSD pups going for.

A retired adult is an excellent idea. Puppies are adorable, but they really can be a pain, and an adult would be a much better match for my sister, especially if it's to be her first dog.

I also see on several breeder websites with articles or snippets on merle Chihuahuas (or rather, on why to avoid breeding merle Chis), so I caught on that merle isn't a color to go looking for, nor is it a desirable, "rare" color. And for the record, I actually prefer the look of the apple head AND the standard AKC acceptable colors on a Chihuahua. :)

The breeder recommendations are a big help! I was not able to find anything (except for backyard breeders) in Oregon with a basic Google search. However, looking at these websites... I want a Chihuahua now, too!!! :D

The one issue I have with shipping is the fact that I do not know the breed. In German Shepherds I would be perfectly willing to ship or even import, but because I am semi-familiar with the breed and the lines and can usually know what to expect looking at a pedigree and asking around. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same with Chihuahuas.

My biggest concern is temperament and health, and at this point, the only way of knowing a Chi has the temperament and nerves we are looking for is to meet the dogs in person.
A dog may have wonderful conformation... but in all honestly, that, and even a CGC isn't an indicator of good temperament and nerves.

I do also understand that socialization is incredibly crucial, and always stress that point myself when talking about raising dogs. However, I am one of those (few?) people who believes that genetics can, in some occasions and situations, be more important in the make up of a dog's temperament and nerves. Socialization of course is infinitely important and should never be undervalued, but in my opinion, neither should genetics. Not saying anyone here undervalues genetics - just explaining my thought process!

But, if anyone knows or owns a Chihuahua personally from a good breeder, I would love to take recommendations and take shipping into strong consideration. I absolutely love Romeo, so I am more than willing to look into his breeder. Jessie - if you know of any breeders of dogs you have worked with personally, I would be open to recommendations.

Although... if we are thinking of a retired adult or a young Chi that did not turn out to be show quality, are breeders generally willing to ship?

Also, in regards to choosing a pup in a litter, if we decide on a puppy - my sister has a strong preference for a long coat Chihuahua. She wouldn't mind a short coated Chi, but simply has a preference for the long coat look. Would a breeder frown on having a coat, or color, preference? I know German Shepherd breeders often would, as would Border Collie breeders, etc ("no such thing as a bad color"/nerves and working ability and drives over color and coat preferences). But I'm not sure what the case would be with breeders of toy/companion/nonworking dogs.

Thanks for all the help!

Members online

No members online now.