What breed is this GORGEOUS dog? Pics.

Miakoda

I would actually be amazed if that muscle-bound oversized "pit bull" could really catch out in the woods.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I would actually be amazed if that muscle-bound oversized "pit bull" could really catch out in the woods.
I think that particular dog is the sire of the one pictured working. If you look at their working dog (action and after the fact) pics, there aren't any big ones like that ...

Pops2

Mia
as long as he is walked in to the bay on a leash there is no physical reason that hippo can't catch. OTH that dog would be a poor choice for a running catch dog, too big for his height & obviously not in good running condition.

S

Squishy22

Thanks for that link. I had no idea that their tails were naturally bobbed. I wonder why its considered a fault. hmmm.

Pops2

because the people that wrote the standard cared more about looks than working ability and so excluded them in the mistaken belief it indicated mixing w/ other curs.
ETA
and they bought into the redwolf spanish war dog baloney

S

Squishy22

I think that particular dog is the sire of the one pictured working. If you look at their working dog (action and after the fact) pics, there aren't any big ones like that ...
This is so off topic, but I just noticed something. You joined chazhound a year before me... you have 900 posts and I have nearly 6,000. Oh lord... its official... I talk too much. :yikes:

Its late. Maybe I am just too tired and reading that all wrong. Time for bed........

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
This is so off topic, but I just noticed something. You joined chazhound a year before me... you have 900 posts and I have nearly 6,000. Oh lord... its official... I talk too much. :yikes:

Its late. Maybe I am just too tired and reading that all wrong. Time for bed........
I'm just selective where I post. :p I speak up in anything Collie related, many of the 'breed guess' post, and try to follow threads for breeds I am interested in. Other than that, I just work tooooo much! :D

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
because the people that wrote the standard cared more about looks than working ability and so excluded them in the mistaken belief it indicated mixing w/ other curs.
ETA
and they bought into the redwolf spanish war dog baloney
Which is also why Smooth and Rough Collies need to have tipped ears! :rofl1:

Pops2

because you know fully erect ears and drop ears will both impede the ability of a dog to herd sheep.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Reggin - I'm sorry we hijacked your post, but I think you got your answer. ;)

because you know fully erect ears and drop ears will both impede the ability of a dog to herd sheep.
Someone needs to tell my dogs this ... I've even had them working iguanas. Now THAT requires skill! lol

Miakoda

Mia
as long as he is walked in to the bay on a leash there is no physical reason that hippo can't catch. OTH that dog would be a poor choice for a running catch dog, too big for his height & obviously not in good running condition.

That was my thinking. Hell, my OEB would give anything to be let loose on a hog, but I'm not stupid enough to think he can go the distance running with us trailing the bay dogs and then go in to get a good catch until we can knife the hog. His body structure is just all wrong and honestly, my OEB's body looks almost identical to that "pit bulls".

I still don't see the need for people breeding out-of-standard "things" as "APBTs" for catchwork when tried and true 60-80 lb ABs (American Bulldogs) already exist. All the APBT catchdogs I've worked with are true-to-standard and none a hair over 55 lbs. The average size dog was in the lower 40 lb range. If I wanted to use a larger dog, I'd invest in an AB or a Catahoula Bulldog.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
They are incredibly difficult dogs to own though, they've not been watered down from their huntings roots hardly at all and will happily destroy a house, kennel, whatever, if they feel bored at all. They're hard-headed and independent, vocal and opinionated.
Amen to that. :rolleyes:

Pops2

i've seen video of johnson bulldogs, alaphas & EBTs w/ similar body structure catching so run the OEB into good shape & put a leash on him. if your bay dogs aren't stopping the hog close you need one really hard SOB (doesn't have to find just put the brakes on a running hog). or you may be running too many. too many rough dogs will actually make hogs break bay.
ETA
i'm pretty sure he is part of the new (last ten years even more the last five)crop of nimrods that buy "pit bulls" & then get into hogging. they all want to buy the catch dog first & have no idea what they really need so they buy big bully dogs.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.