Teddy is not feeling well

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well today I woke up and took teddy outside only to find out that he has diarrhea. It was pretty bad too. Just liquid. He has had it all day so far and has been throwing up. We came home to find he had thrown up in his room and then he drank a bunch of water after we let him out and threw that up. At the end of his last poop he did have a few solid pieces. Now I am giving him water in small amounts and lots of ice cubes (just to prevent him from gulping a whole bunch when it causes him to throw it back up) Other than the throwing up and the poopy problems he seems fine. he is frisky and still wants to play and is just acting like his normal self. if he can't keep any water down tonight I will call the vet but so far he has been keeping the ice cubes and the small amounts of water down. I know it is very important to keep him well hydrated and he isn't dehydrated at this moment. I just gave him about 8-10 ice cubes and he ate them one by one and drank the bit of water that i jsut put in his dish. i will give him more ice cubes and water soon. If he can keep the water down I will just keep an eye on him and monitor his poops and what not. if it isn't better tomorrow we are going to take him to the vet just in case.

Any suggestions to help make him more comfortable in the mean time?

Is he able to keep any food down or does he puke that up too.You could try a pepto bismol tablet or caplet until you can get him to the vets.Hope he feels better soon.Give him hugs for me Thanks Lisa.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Buy some plain canned pumpkin (in the baking aisle at your grocery store). Pumpkin really helps with the runs. I'll give maybe a 1/3 of the can at first and see what happens.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well I did buy the pumpkin but he wasn't too interested in it but i think thats because he isn't feeling well. I did give him a half a pepto tablet and he has been fine since. i just took him outside again just in case and he just peed no poop. I have two cans of pumpkin just in case though :D if he starts to show interest in eating then i will try giving him that again.

He did eat this morning but that is what he threw up while we were out. He doesn't want to eat anything right now except ice cubes. He has always been a finicky eater though so missing a meal or two isn't unusual for him. I will keep trying throughout the evening to get him to eat little bits here and there and see if he will take them. He has kept his water down for a while now so thats a good sign cause before he was throwing it up. He doesn't want anything to do with any food though. not even treats.

He wants to play with this new frisbee we got him but I don't want to make him worse by getting him running around. Also he doesn't seem to be running a fever at all and I checked and he isn't dehydrated. So those are probably good signs right?

luvmydogs

white rice, without salt should be good too. no regular food, just plain white rice..do u think he suffers from haet exhaustion. my vet said gatorate is good for them too. or pedyalyte

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Hmmm I will have to go pick up some white rice. lol I don't eat rice much so we don't have it here lol. I wasn't planning on feeding him any of his food tonight. not that he would eat it tonight if i did lol.

So far it's been an hour with lots of ice cubes and water in small amounts so he doesn't gulp it and hasn't been sick yet. Not even gagging. Thats good cause water is the most important thing for him right now but I feel bad that he feels bad :( I don't know what he could have gotten into to make him sick like this.

Thanks for the advice everyone :D i hope he starts to feel better soon :(

luvmydogs

has he been eating any raw food? when i had given phoenix raw meat, he puked all day , everywhere, and had diarrhea too...i didnt introduce the raw meat like i was supposed to :( i found this article online:
Home Treatment For Vomiting

Never give a dog vomiting blood oral medications.

Do not feed your dog for twelve to twenty-four hours following vomiting. At the end of twelve hours , you can offer a very small amount of soft, bland food such as cooked rice and skinless chicken breast, pasta, or potatoes mixed with low-fat cottage cheese (9-to1 ratio). If your dog keeps this small meal down for about four hours, another small meal can be offered, then another about four hours later. If no further vomiting occurs, the next day's meals can be normal-sized portion of bland food and the following day you can return your dog to a regular diet. Water should be offered only in small amounts but frequently in order to combat the tendency to dehydrate that accompanies vomiting. Large amount of food or water distend the already irritated stomach and usually cause vomiting to recur. An easy way to have water available in small portions is to place ice cubes in the water bowl and allow the dog to drink the liquid that accumulates as the cubes melt.

oh and i hope he feels better too..(.i meant to say)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
He hasn't had any raw meat that I know of. or that I can think of right now. He did have a teaspoons worth of ground beef but that was over a week ago.

Thats great info thank you for the help. If he continues to not get sick i will cook up a little pasta tomorrow for him to have as breakfast. I have potatoes but not cottage cheese lol i dont' eat that either hahaha can he have just potatoes? he is not vomiting blood thank God but i will continue to monitor him. right now he is napping.

luvmydogs

sparks19 said:
He hasn't had any raw meat that I know of. or that I can think of right now. He did have a teaspoons worth of ground beef but that was over a week ago.
could be heat exhaustion. just give him the rice and water, and please take him to the vet on monday. if u cant afford to, i'm sure the vet will somehow work it out with u. some people dont go to the vet, becuse they are afraid of how much it would cost. but please take him anyways...it may just go away..phoenix was fine after 1 day...and i dont think the ground beef did it

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
He has all his shots and takes all this meds you dumb ass. Stop being so stupid. I hope when you need advice people give you stupid answers like yours ;)

luvmydogs

sparks19 said:
He has all his shots and takes all this meds you dumb ass. Stop being so stupid. I hope when you need advice people give you stupid answers like yours ;)
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL i love your website girl!!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
luvmydogs said:
could be heat exhaustion. just give him the rice and water, and please take him to the vet on monday. if u cant afford to, i'm sure the vet will somehow work it out with u. some people dont go to the vet, becuse they are afraid of how much it would cost. but please take him anyways...it may just go away..phoenix was fine after 1 day...and i dont think the ground beef did it
Yeah we are going to keep an eye on him and if it doesn't improve and he doesn't start having solid poops we are going to take him to the vet for sure on monday as early as possible. We do have AC in the house and I try to keep him in as much as possible cause he doesn't react well to the heat especially if its humid so you could have something there with the heat exhaustion. i will keep leaving ice cubes out in his dish for him. Even if we could not afford it we would still take him to the vet. Not taking him is never an option. He is my baby and I love him i don't want anything to happen to him. :D

H

h2304

sparks19 said:
Hey it could have been. I didnt know it wasnt a pup. Anyway my dog ate some baked beans once ond got the same symptoms that your dog has.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
luvmydogs said:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL i love your website girl!!

HAHA you mean my mmmmforbiddendonuts with the naked homer running in the backgroud :D haha it goes well with the giant homer we won at hershey park hahahaha. thank you :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
h2304 said:
He might have parvo, how old is he? If so say goodbye.
Dear god, will you SHUT UP? Seriously, nobody wants to read this stupid crap, especially not a responsible dog owner that is concerned about her dog.
I hope nobody ever takes your utter BS seriously.

Oh, and FYI, parvo CAN be treated. Obviously you know nothing about it.

Sparks, I hope Teddy feels better! If his vomiting and diarrhea has been going on for quite a while, I would personally visit the vet, just to stay on the safe side of things. :) And yes, pedialyte or gatorade would be a good thing to give him in his water.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well he hasn't been sick since yesterday evening and he is getting interested in his food again and no yucky poops. I made him a bit of pasta and he ate that. I will feed him a little bit more in a bit. So everything seems to be fine today. I am still keeping an eye on him just in case but it seems that he is over whatever was making his tummy hurt :D

Members online

No members online now.