Breed specific obedience class

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I can't believe that there is a corgi named Neville Longbottom. Too funny. :p

However, perhaps a Nordic or Sighthound class may be interesting for some people. Not so much breed, but breed type?
Yes, Neville was adorable, a little snarky tri colored pem baby. <3

I really agree a "type" would be better than specific breed.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yeah, not gunna lie, big dog owners at my facility hate having little dogs in class. LOL We never run the Aframe at full height.Plus it kills everyones time (how many runs we get per a class) changing the bars.

We have two EX classes on monday and the morning seems to be mostly big dogs and the evening is mostly small. They've self divided and those classes run so, so much faster than the tuesday night Adv class with a mix all the way from the doxies and papillons to the dobermans and my Sloan.

We really should have "big" and "little" with a divide around 16".

Then we should have border collies and everyone else. jk :p
(1) I know! Drives me nuts when the table and A-Frame are on small dog height all night...ughhh. Kim nearly NQ'd one of her first Novice runs because she'd never seen an actual 24" table before...I said table and she really really had to look for it...finally saw it and went "this? this is not a table...but okay..." lol

(2) :p Regarding the BC comment lol. We have several excellent level classes (small dogs, big dogs, and a catch-all sizes one for people who can't make the others or have multiple dogs) then also one masters level class you have to get specific instructor approval to join. There are people going for MACHs who are never in the class because it's really geared toward a certain kind of dog...the ones going for the Blue every run. Makes it easier for everyone to get what they really want out of class.

Aleron

I have seen Greyhound specific classes and APBT/Bully specific classes and think those are both good ideas. The Grey classes work well in areas with active Grey rescue and are helpful for new owners to start off with a Grey experienced trainer. The dogs are all coming from a similar background too. And Greys are not always the most welcome dogs in traditional obedience classes. So with them, it makes sense. With APBTs it makes sense from a promoting responsible APBT ownership and focusing on things which are most important with in that group of dogs.

Dobe specific class doesn't make as much sense to me because I don't see them as having special needs that would make them less suitable for typical group classes. But than again, if someone I liked offered a Belgian class I think that would be pretty fun to go to just because I like Belgians and like to train with people who have/like Belgians. So in that sense, if there is an interested group, why not?

As for dogs learning at different paces, I think that is best addressed by having drop in, advance as you go classes instead of traditional 8 week courses or breed specific classes. Dogs of the same breed can learn just as differently as dogs of different breeds and owners certainly all progress differently.

lizzybeth727

OMG I LOVE the idea of agility classes based on jump height. I should pitch that idea to my trainer. Of course it would mean that me and my friend would be in separate classes....
We are always the only little dog in class. So it's usually I have to go last then go back to back. It's kind of annoying.
Yep, when I ran with Luna we'd always have to go back to back. We were the only 8-inchers for the longest time, and then another one joined the class. But he ran SLOW. Actually he didn't run at all, he walked. So it was fun when he went first and then Luna followed - she was FAST anyway, but she took like 1/4 of the time of the dog before. Everybody else was relieved. :D

Dobe specific class doesn't make as much sense to me because I don't see them as having special needs that would make them less suitable for typical group classes.
I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But dobes are different than a lot of other breeds, and if the trainer is experienced in dobes THEN it makes sense. I think dobes are still discriminated against a bit too, so it might be nice for the owners to be in a class where everyone kind of understands each other.

When I taught classes I had a "toy dogs" class, just for breeds under 15 pounds. It was pretty popular. Luna did a LOT of demoing, and a lot of the owners didn't think - or had been told by other trainers - that their toy dogs couldn't be trained as well as other dogs, so Luna and I proved them wrong. They also enjoyed being in a class where they didn't have to worry about large dogs eating their little ones. ;)

vandog

Merlie Girlie!
Would you be interested in one? What benefits do you see? Cons?

A trainer at my work is looking to add a "Doberman obedience" class even though we offer several obed classes.

I have heard of a pit bull obed class geared to reaching pit bull owners in need but this is new and interesting.
You live in the Vegas area? Dobies are very popular there (your area has some amazing ones!) ... I would totally go for it if the interest is high and you have enough people to make the class worthwhile!

Members online