Ear infections

Pomp

So my beagles tend to be prone to ear infections. We're diligent about cleaning their ears, but the infections still pop up from time to time.

To clean, we were using a witch hazel/tree oil herbal based solution, but our vet recommended we use a flush instead in an attempt to get deeper into the canal and massage any wax/hair out.

Does anyone recommend we do anything differently? Also, are there food supplements which help the ears?

Thanks

Zoom

Twin 2.0
What food are they on now? I found that can make a big difference.

Otherwise, a lot of people recommend something called Blue Power Wash...basically it's a genetian violet rinse.

dignity

Pyr Pressure
Food can make a huge difference.

After baths/swimming, it's good to rinse out their ears as well

A product I like is PetAlive Ear Dr - Loki used to get ear infections all the time (due to the food he was on when I first got him).

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I use a boric acid powder/witch hazel rinse with the lab. I also dropped grains and all sugars I could (beet pulp, HFCS, cane sugar) from her diet for about 2 years. Yeast issue SOLVED!.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Mine also don't get any grains or sugars and they've been ear infection free for about two years now.

Knox on the other hand I think has some sort of bacterial infection and I can't get rid of it with just rinsing his ears and cleaning them often. We've got a vet appointment Saturday.

Pomp

Thanks for all the responses and I'll check out the blue power wash.

FYI My dogs have EVO in the AM (no grains, wheat, etc) and get a frozen chicken or marrow bone in the evening.

They both had a bunch of loose hair right in the ear canal, which may cause the irritation.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I use Zymox (get from pet sites) to clean out when they start to get dirty.

Members online

No members online now.