haraness or not to harness that is my question?

I only use harnesses at this point for the treadmill and to be belted into the car. The only other time I would use a harness is when I'm conditioning a dog, and want them to have something very comfortable for pulling. I don't find them more secure or convenient than a regular collar, but they do have their uses.

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
I like using harnesses, especially on the small dogs who have slipped out of their collars before. I'm going to have to buy a new one for Sammy though, because I accidentally left his where he could reach it and he shredded it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I can barely stand a collar on my dog. They come off as soon as the dogs come inside, harness just look uncomfortable to me. Better to obedience train and not have to depend on either.

darkchild16

We are Home.
^^^^ My feelings exactly. I miss living where there is no leash law. Walker heels perfectly off leash and behaves like a gentleman. Also in a town like the one I lived in most dogs are that way or at least arent aggrressive. THe only aggression problem I had was the guy behind our house and he never took his dogs out so I didnt have to worry about them much. Cities just plain suck. :(

One thing I should mention. I've heard it said that any dog worth their salt can get out of a harness much easier than they can a properly-fitted collar. If you think about it, all they have to do is get their elbows out, and they can be gone. And since the lead is clipped behind their shoulders, it pretty much aids the dog in pulling himself out of the harness. (Kind of like how you would grab a sweater at the bottom and then pull it backwards over your head.) If it works for you, then great! But I wouldn't count on it being an absolute answer to collar-slipping.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Ada slipes her collar because she's got so much hair in her ruff, that the collar is never really tight enough to be "safe" in my eyes. (I'm the type that has martingales or chokes on my dogs when I go places, just because I fear"slippage". YES the dobes would come right back to me, but I still don't like to have any extra risk in our outings.

It would take Ada some doing to get out of her harness - it's snuh and she's got little midget arms that seem to bend differently than a "normal" dog. I'm sure she could get out of the harness, but the difference is that I'd be able to grab her before she succeeded.

Herschel

One thing I should mention. I've heard it said that any dog worth their salt can get out of a harness much easier than they can a properly-fitted collar. If you think about it, all they have to do is get their elbows out, and they can be gone. And since the lead is clipped behind their shoulders, it pretty much aids the dog in pulling himself out of the harness. (Kind of like how you would grab a sweater at the bottom and then pull it backwards over your head.) If it works for you, then great! But I wouldn't count on it being an absolute answer to collar-slipping.
I guess neither of my dogs are worth their salt!

RD

Are you dead yet?
My dogs have harnesses. Dakota has a lovely leather one that he, sadly, rarely wears anymore. Eve has a "webmaster" harness. Dash has a little pink Lupine one but if she gets large enough as an adult, she'll inherit Dakota's old harness.

Dakota wears his harness whenever he goes somewhere with me, as does Dash. I can't use harnesses for Eve while she's working because of her cape, but she wears one when we go hiking. Otherwise it's a collar for her.

Toller_08

I use a harness for Dance pretty often for our walks. Simply because it's more comfortable for her (I think) and she doesn't pull ever anyway.

She's never tried backing out of her harness or her collars so I don't really worry. When I don't use a harness, I use a martingale collar just for extra precaution, but I could walk her just as easily on a buckle collar if it wasn't for my fear of her slipping out (I use martingales on all of them, regardless of whether I really need to or not).

Members online

No members online now.