Yet another drawing...

Snark

Mutts to you
I warned you all about sitting through stuff that works and doesn't... well, here's one that doesn't...

I've been fussing with this darned drawing for over a week, and it's driving me nuts. I just can't get the proportions right and the shading, well, just isn't that good. It's a faded black horse, photo taken on a semi-cloudy day in a open sided shed. The horse wasn't that clean to begin with, so highlights aren't very clear (at least I could remove the hay from his mane). It's from an old photo, taken at a draft horse show of a friend petting this huge fellow. I've always liked the idea of this drawing with the contrast in size (friend is about 5'6") and stallion stood over 19 hands (over six feet tall at the top of his back).

I dunno, usually I have a pretty good feeling about a drawing that's working well, even from the beginning lines, but this one just ain't 'talking' to me... maybe I ought to start over...

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
It may not work and be true to the photo, but what you created is beautiful. Jsut like smkie said, could you post the photo?

Kase

I ditto Virginia, even if it doesn't look exactly like the photo its still a beautiful peice of work! If thats what you class as 'bad' shading then my drawings are like a 2 year olds compared to yours! On a side note he must have been one stunning horse!!

Snark

Mutts to you
Sorry for the late response - had to walk the doggies (priorities!). Thanks for the kind responses but it's just not turning out the way I want. I'm almost embarrassed to post the photo, I'm so far off... *sigh* here it is:

Squidbert

Scum scum scum scum..SCUM
I think the drawing is beautiful.. I do know what you mean though.. not that I don't like your drawing.. I really do think it is beautiful.. but it doesn't have that same feeling I get from looking at the photo.. I think it's because of the darkness and all the shadows in the photo..? The drawing is great.. but it doesn't have the same atmosphere as the photo does.. :)

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Ok, I really like the photo and the drawing, but like it was said, they just dont show the same.... :S I noticed in the pic(dunno why I noticed) you cant really see his eye, which to me makes me feel like the horse looks dark and well I dunno wild(may sound kind of lame. but hey I am only 14) And in the drawing you did the eyes, and it makes him look tamed, and loving, alsmo like horse and rider.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ok i am not sure because i cant see them side by side, but what i thought the first time i saw it i think is what throughs the perspective off. THe neckline underneath the horses head, isn't there in the photo. By putting it in it makes the neck seem too thick, where in the photo the line isn't a clear cut and dry, instead it blends into the rest of the body for the horse's body fills up the space. I would try to see if that makes a diff. Wish i could see them side by side, there is just something about that negative space there that confuses the viewer. Do you have adobe photoshop? YOu could select and lighten enough to see what is really there in the mane area. The rest of your picture is lovely and i can see why you chose this for your subject matter. Overall very expressive.:)

makka619

Snark, I hope you don’t mind, but I pasted them side by side, because I too kept scrolling up and down to compare.

Your shading is awesome… and I didn’t see anything wrong with it until I read others posts and I tried to look deeper at what it is you wanted. I can see now that it is a pretty drawing more then the moody aspect that is evoked in the photograph.

My arty friend said to me once a long time ago, that a drawing isn’t ever ruined, because you can keep adding to it to cover up your mistake or until you get it right. Ack I can’t remember how she said it, but it rang pretty true for me.

Snark

Mutts to you
Thanks, smkie and makka619, I don't mind a bit. I could see them side by side when I uploaded the pics into Photobucket, what a contrast. *sigh*
I don't think I can fix this - the perspective and angles are too far off.

I guess I'll try to finish off this drawing (pretending it's not related to the photo at all and in keeping with the gentler, kinder look, I think I'll stick him in a pasture, rather than the shed) and try another later.

makka619

So I got curious as to what your other drawings were like if you were so dissapointed with this one, and I checked out your other threads...

And geez your work is absolutly amazing... honestly I had to keep re-checking where you said some of them were pencil/pastel drawings lol.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i agree, its a do over. I asked my teach at the tute when i would could stop doing everyting twice, and he said when i didn't want to be an illustrator anymore. sometimes it goes that way heading west;) Of course you know the second time would be postively brilliant don't you? And will go twice as fast.

skyeboxer

It is a beautiful drawing Snark, but it doesn't capture what you wanted to. It's immaterial as you've decided to move on rather than obsess about it but if you don't mind I'd like to stick in my tuppence worth because I think you are really looking for some input.

The girl's hand is stiff. In the photo she has a natural curve to her fingers.

Yes, to what was said about the neck and the expression in the eyes, but I also think that what has thrown the pic a little is the width between the eyes and the depth of shadow on the bridge of the nose.

Your art is always inspiring Snark and your worst pieces are things I could only aspire to in my wildest dreams. If I drew that baby, I'd be so proud it would be engraved on my headstone. :)

Snark

Mutts to you
i agree, its a do over. I asked my teach at the tute when i would could stop doing everyting twice, and he said when i didn't want to be an illustrator anymore. sometimes it goes that way heading west;) Of course you know the second time would be postively brilliant don't you? And will go twice as fast.
Lol! I hope so!

Thanks, makka619!

Snark

Mutts to you
It is a beautiful drawing Snark, but it doesn't capture what you wanted to. It's immaterial as you've decided to move on rather than obsess about it but if you don't mind I'd like to stick in my tuppence worth because I think you are really looking for some input.

The girl's hand is stiff. In the photo she has a natural curve to her fingers.

Yes, to what was said about the neck and the expression in the eyes, but I also think that what has thrown the pic a little is the width between the eyes and the depth of shadow on the bridge of the nose.

Your art is always inspiring Snark and your worst pieces are things I could only aspire to in my wildest dreams. If I drew that baby, I'd be so proud it would be engraved on my headstone. :)
Thanks for your tuppence worth! Lol! Yeah, I think it really falls apart below the noseband. I'm usually pretty good at picking up spatial relationships, but boy, when I mess up... Wrong angles, didn't catch the perspective on the muzzle and that darned hand! Lol! You know, looking at it, I think I just drew my own stubby little digits in there, instead of my friend's long fingers...

skyeboxer

Okay so... really looking forward to the next one. :) Have you ever drawn any boxers? If so, would you mind, pleeeease.... to upload a boxer pic. :hail:

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I just noticed the neck line, it kind (And I dont mean to sound nasty!!) But the yhorse kind of look - - ::Ahem:: Over weight? Or not eveer that, just REALLY huge, and in the photo he looks tall, rather than big... I am sorry I couldnt be of more help, I do look forward to seeing the other copy though!!! I am sure it will be amazing(just like all of your other drawings :))

Snark

Mutts to you
Okay so... really looking forward to the next one. :) Have you ever drawn any boxers? If so, would you mind, pleeeease.... to upload a boxer pic. :hail:
Sorry, checked through my photo files and I guess no one ever asked for a portrait of a boxer :( (Most of my work is commissioned, except for the stuff I do for gifts for friends and family.)

Members online

No members online now.